bottom bracket

Old February 25th 05, 08:17 AM
Jon_H

Default bottom bracket

I have what appears to be an old bottom bracket with a cup and cone
configuration on the axle. couls i rplace this whith a sealed cartridge
bottom bracket or will i have to source the same type/size as the original.
The axle has peugot and 121 stamped on it, does this have any relevance to
the size.What size should i get as their seems to be a large amount of sizes
available to the un-initiated. by the way it has a square taper and i am
running a double chainring if this makes any difference.

cheers
Jon_H

Old February 25th 05, 12:30 PM
Arthur Harris

"Jon_H" wrote:
I have what appears to be an old bottom bracket with a cup and cone
configuration on the axle. could i replace this whith a sealed cartridge
bottom bracket or will i have to source the same type/size as the
original.
The axle has peugot and 121 stamped on it, does this have any relevance to
the size.What size should i get as their seems to be a large amount of
sizes
available to the un-initiated. by the way it has a square taper and i am
running a double chainring if this makes any difference.

What year is the Peugeot? Prior to about 1982, many French bikes had either
French or Swiss threaded BBs. You won't find a modern BB that will work.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/f...ks.html#bottom

If it's a newer Peugeot, it will have standard British thread. The "121" is
the spindle length of your current BB. You will need to get one close to
that length in order to maintain a proper chain line and proper spacing of
the cranks from the chainstays.

Also see:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Art Harris

Old February 25th 05, 04:39 PM
Sheldon Brown

Jon_H wrote:

I have what appears to be an old bottom bracket with a cup and cone
configuration on the axle. couls i rplace this whith a sealed cartridge
bottom bracket or will i have to source the same type/size as the original.
The axle has peugot and 121 stamped on it, does this have any relevance to
the size.What size should i get as their seems to be a large amount of sizes
available to the un-initiated. by the way it has a square taper and i am
running a double chainring if this makes any difference.

This may be difficult and/or expensive, because I suspect that your bike
uses the obsolete French threading on the bottom bracket.

The only cartridge units that I know of currently available in French
are Phil Wood. They're super good, but 'spensive.

See: http://harriscyclery.com/bottombrackets

If you're prepared to stick with cup-and-cone, we can probably come up
with something that will work.

See the page linked above, also these pages:

http://sheldonbrown.com/french

http://harriscyclery.com/french-cranks

Sheldon "35x1" Brown
| Men and nations behave wisely once they |
| have exhausted all the other alternatives. |
| -- Abba Eban |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old February 27th 05, 08:15 AM
Jon_H

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
Jon_H wrote:

[...]

I will pay a visit to my LBS to see what he can come up with thanks for all
the info. The bike is a british falcon rapide but has a peugeot bootm
bracket axle. The no drive side screws in clockwise and a lockring also
screws on clockwise to the visible remaining threads.

I didn't take off the chainring side so not sure which way this screws on.

cheers
Jon_H

Old February 27th 05, 12:32 PM
Arthur Harris

"Jon_H" wrote:

The bike is a british falcon rapide but has a peugeot bootm
bracket axle. The no drive side screws in clockwise and a lockring also
screws on clockwise to the visible remaining threads.

I didn't take off the chainring side so not sure which way this screws on.

If it's an english bike, you're probably in luck. It most likely has
standard British thread (1.375" x 24 tpi) with left hand thread on the drive
side, and a 68mm BB shell.

Art Harris