Chainring gap sizes for SunTour front der's?

Old February 25th 05, 05:42 PM
M. Chandler

Default Chainring gap sizes for SunTour front der's?

On my vintage XT cranks, I want to run 26/36/46 or 48t rings. With a
modern LX front derailleur (571 model), the cage gets too close to the
top of the middle ring with 46 and 48 rings (it's OK on a 50t).

Looking at the older (early '90s) SunTour triple front mechs, it appears
that the inner/outer cages are closer in profile (or "drop"). Anyone
happen to know what the preferred chainring gap sizes are for the older
(non-micro) SunTour front derailleurs (X-1, XC-LTD/COMP/PRO)?

--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO
Old February 25th 05, 06:45 PM

On my vintage XT cranks, I want to run 26/36/46 or 48t rings. With a

modern LX front derailleur (571 model), the cage gets too close to

the
top of the middle ring with 46 and 48 rings (it's OK on a 50t).

Looking at the older (early '90s) SunTour triple front mechs, it

appears
that the inner/outer cages are closer in profile (or "drop"). Anyone

happen to know what the preferred chainring gap sizes are for the

older
(non-micro) SunTour front derailleurs (X-1, XC-LTD/COMP/PRO)?

For several years I ran a Deore DX triple front derailleur with the
deep inner cage on 48-45-20 chainrings. The front derailleur was
mounted at least 1/2 inch above the outer chainring. Didn't matter.
Shifted just fine.

I currently use a Sora double front derailleur to shift 45-42-20
chainrings. Its about 1/4 inch above the outer chainring. No problem
with the inner cage hitting the middle chainring. But its mounted a
bit higher than the experts recommend because the chain will drag the
underside of the front derailleur when in the 45x28 cog. Front
derailleur shifts fine.

I'd suggest you just use the front derailleur you have and stop
worrying about made up problems and ride the bike. Or if the imaginary
problems are too great to overcome, then get a double front derailleur
and mount it as close to the top of the outer chainring as you want.