Mega Range Question

Old July 21st 05, 02:26 AM
John

Default Mega Range Question

I currently have a C Dale hybrid (1997) with a 7 speed (11-28)
Shimano cassette that I want to swap out with a 11-34 mega range
cassette. Do I need a special derailer (derailleur) for the 11-34 mega
range cassette? What about a 11-32 cassette? My current derailer is a
Shimano Acera X, long cage I think and right now the B(body) tension
screw is backed out more than half way which means I should be able to
drop the cage somewhat but I'm not sure if it will be enough to handle
the 34 tooth rear sprocket.

Thanks
John

Old July 21st 05, 01:41 PM

It will worrk but you will need a new chain and to adjust the
derailleur limit. Go to www.bikenashbar.com and youll find good deals
on 7 speed stuff and chains. The cassesste removal tool is available.
Do it yourself and save!!!!

Old July 21st 05, 04:03 PM
John

wrote:
It will worrk but you will need a new chain and to adjust the
derailleur limit.

LIMIT? From what I've read about limit screws they only affect the left
and right movement and since I'm going to change from a 7 speed to
another 7 speed I wouldn't think the H L limit screws would need any
adjustment at all.
It is the B tension screw that controls the vertical movement and
I want to know if it will drop my jockey pulley low enough to get under
the 34 tooth sprocket. Is that what you meant by limit?
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml
Not to get off topic but your wrong about Lance too. According to your
other post.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e0ad295f5da537
Using your logic a golfer would never win a tournament unless he wins a
round. It's the total score over days that count. I don't think
you're a troll though. You bring up a good point. I don't think
everyone in the TDF should get the same time just because they finish
in the same pack. Where's the incentive to race if everyone in the
pack gets the same time?

John

Old July 21st 05, 04:09 PM

Yes the B- tension will need adjustment. The limits MAY need adjusting
due to small differences from cassette to cassette. The only hard part
about what youre planning is removing old cassette. The right tool is a
must then it's easy. See tips on sizing chain at sheldonbrown.com or
parktool. It's easy. The 34 tooth will let you climb most anything.

Old July 22nd 05, 12:12 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Rocky wrote:

i thought the megarange is a freeWHEEL.

Shimano makes a Megarange cassette hub, and also a Megarange freewheel, too.

Old July 22nd 05, 04:41 PM
D T W .../\\...

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
I currently have a C Dale hybrid (1997) with a 7 speed (11-28)
Shimano cassette that I want to swap out with a 11-34 mega range
cassette. Do I need a special derailer (derailleur) for the 11-34 mega
range cassette? What about a 11-32 cassette? My current derailer is a
Shimano Acera X, long cage I think and right now the B(body) tension
screw is backed out more than half way which means I should be able to
drop the cage somewhat but I'm not sure if it will be enough to handle
the 34 tooth rear sprocket.

Thanks
John

Does that have 9 speed shifters?

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

Old July 24th 05, 04:56 PM
John

D T W .../\... wrote:
Does that have 9 speed shifters?

Actually, the bike still has the original Sram 7 speed grip twist
shifters. I'm putting together a list of all the parts I need to
rebuild this bike and order everything at once to save on shipping
cost(I could almost buy a new bike for what's it going to cost me). I
just don't want to find out after I put everything together I need
one of those megarange rapid rise derailers. I think I'm just going
to go with a 11-32 cassette instead of the megarange 11-34 and I think
I'll be OK. I'm going to post a picture of it once it's done. It
really is different with these handlebars I got for it.

John

Old July 24th 05, 08:47 PM

It come in freewheel and cassettte. Go up to
the 34 cog is smooth. But coming off sometimes is a big drop that you
feel. Shimano make a Mega Range derailleur it has this large lower
pulley wheel that comes in red.