Bike Racks

Old May 29th 05, 11:19 PM
Peter Gordon

Default Bike Racks

Check out the photo of the German bike-racks. The modification
could be retrofitted to our almost useless designed ones.
The photo is about halfway down the list of photos.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ..._id=21671&v=3l
Old May 30th 05, 02:08 AM
Terry Collins

Peter Gordon wrote:
Check out the photo of the German bike-racks. The modification
could be retrofitted to our almost useless designed ones.
The photo is about halfway down the list of photos.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ..._id=21671&v=3l

You are going to have to explain how you see it as useful.
To insert front wheel to hold bike up?
Did everyone notice the loop close to the ground as well as the
top-of-the wheel loop? Look at first rack if you missed it.

None of the bikes in the photo are actually using it btw.

It is easy to make something like that.
About $AUS100 worth of gal pipe, 2 sizes,
1 cheap pipe bender (~$199)
1 LPG torch and bottle to heat pipe before bending (~$100)
1 Basic home arc welder (`$299 hint look for inverter type)
2 bags of concrete ($12)
1 6" hole digger ($50) Recommend 750mm deep.

Old May 30th 05, 02:39 AM
nebakke

A lot of Danish bike racks are very similar in design, I've always been
advise by older and more experienced riders who look like they know
what they're doing, to be carefull with them, especially with a road
bike. Apparently their theory is that having the entire weight of the
bike pulling on only part of the front wheel could skew it.
Whether there's any truth to this I don't know, but being the
superstitious and slightly gullible fool that I am, I try to avoid
them.

My 2 cent's worth.

-Rasmus

Old May 30th 05, 03:56 AM
stu

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Peter Gordon wrote:
Check out the photo of the German bike-racks. The modification
could be retrofitted to our almost useless designed ones.
The photo is about halfway down the list of photos.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ..._id=21671&v=3l

You are going to have to explain how you see it as useful.
To insert front wheel to hold bike up?

why not?(well ok maybe its not for your super light race wheel, but for
MTB/tour unless someone does something stupid it will be fine)
Did everyone notice the loop close to the ground as well as the
top-of-the wheel loop? Look at first rack if you missed it.

ok my theory goes like this
low rack with no loop, high rack with loop at bottom, repeat, repeat
on the high racks(which arent being used) the front wheel rests on the loop,
lifting the handlebars up (my guess is so you can park the bikes closer
together)

None of the bikes in the photo are actually using it btw.

yes they are(ok well atleast 2 of the 3 are)

1 Basic home arc welder (`$299 hint look for inverter type)

whats an "inverter type"???

Old May 30th 05, 05:39 AM
Terry Collins

stu wrote:

You are going to have to explain how you see it as useful.
To insert front wheel to hold bike up?

why not?(well ok maybe its not for your super light race wheel, but for
MTB/tour unless someone does something stupid it will be fine)

Them thar is fighting words. I have you know I've never ridden on a
wheel worth more than $50 complete. ChengChen tyres for this little
black tortise.

Actually, my MTB/tourer has racking front and back and they possible
would not fit, even if I did remove the panniers that usually live
permanently on them {:-).

Did everyone notice the loop close to the ground as well as the
top-of-the wheel loop? Look at first rack if you missed it.

ok my theory goes like this
low rack with no loop, high rack with loop at bottom, repeat, repeat
on the high racks(which arent being used) the front wheel rests on the loop,
lifting the handlebars up (my guess is so you can park the bikes closer
together)

None of the bikes in the photo are actually using it btw.

yes they are(ok well atleast 2 of the 3 are)

Woops, they are double sidded. Didn't see that.

I don't like things that hold the bike upright by twisiting the rims.
Just a reason why I wouldn't use them. I like to be able to lean my seat
against an upright.

1 Basic home arc welder (`$299 hint look for inverter type)

whats an "inverter type"???

Old style welder had a transformer. Heavy, iron core, lots of copper
wire. Rectified AC giving 100Hz pulsing in current. Say 50kg for a good
home model.

New style uses power supply similar to PC power supplies. Weighs under
3kg. Super smooth welding and no pulsing in wleding current means good
welders can turn out nice welds Crap welder, still crap welder.

Goes off and eats shoe over not using Mig on bicycle frames.
Old May 30th 05, 07:01 AM
Peter Gordon

Terry Collins wrote in news:429a6887$0$49175
:

Peter Gordon wrote:
Check out the photo of the German bike-racks. The modification
could be retrofitted to our almost useless designed ones.
The photo is about halfway down the list of photos.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ..._id=21671&v=3l

You are going to have to explain how you see it as useful.
To insert front wheel to hold bike up?

Most of the racks found around here do not make provision
for securing the bike to the rack. With these, a bike can
be lent against the rack, much the same as leaning it
against a wall. Note, the padding on the racks, so that the
bikes do not get damaged. The smaller diameter tubing part of
the rack appears to be designed to allow a D lock to be inserted
through it and then through the front well and the down tube.
I see many bikes with the front wheel removed and the bike and
wheel locked to a lightpost or similar difficult to move object.
If the small diameter tubing is hardened, these racks solve this
problem in an elegant and cheap fashion.

Cheers,

Peter Gordon
Old May 30th 05, 09:22 AM
stu

stu wrote:

You are going to have to explain how you see it as useful.
To insert front wheel to hold bike up?

why not?(well ok maybe its not for your super light race wheel, but for
MTB/tour unless someone does something stupid it will be fine)

Them thar is fighting words. I have you know I've never ridden on a
wheel worth more than $50 complete. ChengChen tyres for this little
black tortise.

oops, i meant "your" in a more general sense

stu(i know what i meant)

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM