Kris Holm Percussion Leg Armor Sizing

Old January 4th 09, 01:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
natosha

Default Kris Holm Percussion Leg Armor Sizing

Greetings!

I am planning to order the 2009 Kris Holm Percussion Leg Armor when it
becomes available and I am trying to figure out what size would be best.
My concern is two-fold:

1) I am of average height (5' 6"), but my legs are pretty short for my
height.

2) Some areas of my legs are also very wide for their length --
particularly the wide part around my calf where the calf muscle is (it
is approximately 18 inches in circumference at the widest part).

This being the case, I am concerned that if I get the size that is
correct in length, it won't be wide enough to go around the widest part
of my calf. Does anyone have any experience with this? If the flap
doesn't go all the way around the leg, are the straps long enough to
secure the armor closed anyway, even if the back of the leg isn't
entirely covered?

I am leaning toward the Large size; according to
http://www.krisholm.com/english/products/sizing.htm the large is
supposed to have a 12.5" long shin guard. The medium 12" would be more
appropriate in length, but I believe I can manage the 12.5" shin guard
OK. The extra large 13.25" shin guard would definitely be too long,
despite the fact that it would give me the most coverage.

If anyone has any advice on how the KH Percussion Leg Armor will fit a
short-but-wide-legged person, I would greatly appreciate it. I ride a
Nimbus 24", if that matters.

--
natosha
Old January 4th 09, 02:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
timekeeper

I'm 5'10 and I have some KH leg armor in large and it doesn't quite fit
around my chunky calf (I can't find a tape measure). There is enough
protection in the back even with some calf exposed and I've never had an
injury there with it on. Also the length is a little too short; it
doesn't quite go high enough on my knee so it might be just fine for
your height. I find KH leg armor to be fairly flexible, especially in
the knee area.. so it doesn't have to be the perfect size to do its job
well.

Note: On occasion, my KH pads have peeled down in a fall exposing my
knees... so it might be nice if they ride higher. Also make sure they
are flush with your shoe to prevent this type of shifting.

--
timekeeper
Old January 4th 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kerv

If you search the threads with words like: -Kris Holm KH Armor sizing
fitting- you will find a lot of info. Also, Look at this thread:

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72184

The straps are long enough to go around chunky legs even if the back
flaps don't completely enclose the leg.

I've always felt that the only purpose of the back flap is to protect
the calf from pedal bites. If you are not using metal pinned pedals,
you don't have to worry much about pedal bites. If you are using metal
pinned pedals, make sure you rotate the armor so that you have full
protection on the calf. This will leave the open gap at the sides of
your legs. I ride this way all the time. I like the fact that the
armor does not completely enclose my leg - it is cooler that way.

--
Kerv
Old January 4th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
natosha

Thanks. I think I'll go with the Large size and let part of my calf be
exposed. I don't use metal-pinned pedals anyway, so I don't expect
there to be much problem from pedal bites.

Thanks again.

--
natosha
Old January 5th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
danger_uni

Hey,

Size large should work for you. The 2009 leg armor has a 1" wider
wraparound the back, compared to the previous model.

Kris

--
danger_uni
Old January 6th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kerv

danger_uni;1164369 wrote:
Hey,

Size large should work for you. The 2009 leg armor has a 1" wider
wraparound the back, compared to the previous model.

Kris

Drat...one more item in my collection in need of upgrading!

--
Kerv