That was scary, partially OT

Old April 10th 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default That was scary, partially OT

Driving back yesterday, from a South Wales event, bikes on back of car, the
weather was atrocious for a large part of the journey. There was snow, hail,
sleet, rain... and there were too many idiots who thought that driving
without lights, hanging on to the rear bumper of the car in front and doing
70+ was an entirely acceptable way to drive. It was a seriously scary
experience on occasion. Spray was so bad on part of the M6, visiblity was
down to less than 100yds, yet cars were zooming by... I kept a good distance
between myself & the HGV in front, but I had a fule appearing to hang on to
the bike carrier. I was a bit concerned in case I had to stop suddenly!

Still, after too many hours motoring yesterday (Vernon & I share the driving
so we don't get too tired) I'll be glad to get out on my bike for a while.

Cheers, helen s

--

~~
you may need to remove dependence

Old April 10th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wafflycat wrote:
Driving back yesterday, from a South Wales event, bikes on back of car, the
weather was atrocious for a large part of the journey. There was snow, hail,
sleet, rain... and there were too many idiots who thought that driving
without lights, hanging on to the rear bumper of the car in front and doing
70+ was an entirely acceptable way to drive. It was a seriously scary
experience on occasion. Spray was so bad on part of the M6, visiblity was
down to less than 100yds, yet cars were zooming by... I kept a good distance
between myself & the HGV in front, but I had a fule appearing to hang on to
the bike carrier. I was a bit concerned in case I had to stop suddenly!

Still, after too many hours motoring yesterday (Vernon & I share the driving
so we don't get too tired) I'll be glad to get out on my bike for a while.

I used to do a fair amount of weekends in the hills from London. The
driving standards you describe are nothing new, and I felt much the
same then. The game we used to play was to be able to drive back from
eg Snowdonia and not need to touch the brake. This required leaving
plenty of space in front and good anticipation. It ensured a safer trip
home as well.

Just off to get on a 'Going to Noisy England Railway' down to town..

...d

Old April 10th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wafflycat wrote:
Driving back yesterday, from a South Wales event, bikes on back of car, the
weather was atrocious for a large part of the journey. There was snow, hail,
sleet, rain... and there were too many idiots who thought that driving
without lights, hanging on to the rear bumper of the car in front and doing
70+ was an entirely acceptable way to drive. It was a seriously scary
experience on occasion. Spray was so bad on part of the M6, visiblity was
down to less than 100yds, yet cars were zooming by... I kept a good distance
between myself & the HGV in front, but I had a fule appearing to hang on to
the bike carrier. I was a bit concerned in case I had to stop suddenly!

Still, after too many hours motoring yesterday (Vernon & I share the driving
so we don't get too tired) I'll be glad to get out on my bike for a while.

Scary drivers out there, aren't there? In Cornwall I had various
muppets sitting on my tail and getting extremely annoyed with me when I
demonstrated the relationship between closeness to my bumper and my
propensity to slow down (carefully).

Old April 10th 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In article .com,
LSMike ) wrote:

Scary drivers out there, aren't there? In Cornwall I had various
muppets sitting on my tail and getting extremely annoyed with me when I
demonstrated the relationship between closeness to my bumper and my
propensity to slow down (carefully).

I saw a sticker on the back of a Portsmouth taxi last month, which read
"This vehicle slows down when tailgated". I could have done with one of
those to wave at the tosser in the 911 on the M4 yesterday afternoon,
the one with the belief that if one spends seventy grand on a motorcar,
the road comes with it.

They came for Eamonn Holmes; I think I'm right in saying that I
applauded.
Old April 10th 06, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

LSMike said the following on 10/04/2006 11:02:

Scary drivers out there, aren't there? In Cornwall I had various
muppets sitting on my tail and getting extremely annoyed with me when I
demonstrated the relationship between closeness to my bumper and my
propensity to slow down (carefully).

Not that I would advocate this personally, you understand, but I have
heard it said that dabbing the left foot onto the brake pedal just
enough to turn the brake lights on is quite effective at widening the
distance between yourself and the person who is making a close-up
inspection of your boot!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old April 10th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"wafflycat" wrote in message
Driving back yesterday, from a South Wales event, bikes on back of car,
the weather was atrocious for a large part of the journey. There was snow,
hail, sleet, rain... and there were too many idiots who thought that
driving without lights, hanging on to the rear bumper of the car in front
and doing 70+ was an entirely acceptable way to drive. It was a seriously
scary experience on occasion. Spray was so bad on part of the M6,
visiblity was down to less than 100yds, yet cars were zooming by... I kept
a good distance between myself & the HGV in front, but I had a fule
appearing to hang on to the bike carrier. I was a bit concerned in case I
had to stop suddenly!

Still, after too many hours motoring yesterday (Vernon & I share the
driving so we don't get too tired) I'll be glad to get out on my bike for
a while.

I rode my motorcycle up to the lake district on Wednesday and back down on
Saturday to London (M6-M1). Possibly the scariest ride I've ever done.
Riding at 50mph being blow from the slow lane into the third lane... I had
to stop a couple of times. Thank god the motorway wasn't packed.

-Still thawing out.

-Kristian

Old April 10th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Dave Larrington wrote:

the tosser in the 911 on the M4 yesterday afternoon,
the one with the belief that if one spends seventy grand on a motorcar,
the road comes with it.

And to the tosser who was driving through Birmingham yesterday; he was
apparently of the additional belief that my furniture-laden Luton could
accelerate as fast as his Mondeo away from junctions, and my failure to
do so when he was stuck behind me was a deliberate insult that could
only be avenged by undertaking me on a roundabout, cutting across ahead
of me, and gesticulating with thumb and forefinger as he roared off into
the distance.

R.
Old April 10th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 2006-04-10, Dave Larrington wrote:
In article .com,
LSMike ) wrote:

Scary drivers out there, aren't there? In Cornwall I had various
muppets sitting on my tail and getting extremely annoyed with me when I
demonstrated the relationship between closeness to my bumper and my
propensity to slow down (carefully).

I saw a sticker on the back of a Portsmouth taxi last month, which read
"This vehicle slows down when tailgated". I could have done with one of
those to wave at the tosser in the 911 on the M4 yesterday afternoon,
the one with the belief that if one spends seventy grand on a motorcar,
the road comes with it.

On the back of a knackered old series Land Rover I've seen a
sticker saying "You are my crumple zone". Maybe one day that 911 will
run into the back of it!
--
Tim.

Old April 10th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd twisted the electrons to say:
Not that I would advocate this personally, you understand, but I have
heard it said that dabbing the left foot onto the brake pedal just
enough to turn the brake lights on is quite effective at widening the
distance between yourself and the person who is making a close-up
inspection of your boot!

It doesn't generally work ... :-( Or so I hear, obviously I would never
engage in such a practice ...
Old April 10th 06, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Alistair Gunn wrote:
Paul Boyd twisted the electrons to say:

Not that I would advocate this personally, you understand, but I have
heard it said that dabbing the left foot onto the brake pedal just
enough to turn the brake lights on is quite effective at widening the
distance between yourself and the person who is making a close-up
inspection of your boot!

It doesn't generally work ... :-( Or so I hear, obviously I would never
engage in such a practice ...

I've thought of fitting an extra switch for that purpose (the one next
to the rocket launcher button)

--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

First SCARY UPD on guni David_Stone Unicycling 13 August 17th 05 02:17 PM
First SCARY UPD on guni David_Stone Unicycling 0 August 14th 05 02:37 AM
Scary! Just zis Guy, you know? UK 24 May 26th 05 07:23 PM
scary encounter. Callistus Valerius Techniques 42 May 16th 05 12:19 PM
Partially stripped crank thread Portable Splat Graphics Mountain Biking 5 August 26th 04 02:12 AM