SS 14g 36er Spokes breaking

Old August 6th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Default SS 14g 36er Spokes breaking

Chrashing wrote:
Thanks Corbin and Rob for answering my questions.

Finding spoke washers in the US via the web is difficult. The only
place I've found with them in stock is 'Bike Tools Etc.'
(http://tinyurl.com/4rgpd7) My LBS doesn't have them.

Lucky you in the UK, since Roger has them listed at 'UDC.uk'
(http://tinyurl.com/5tstje) there.

I am looking at ordering some brass washers too for my KH/Schlumpf
wheelbuild based on Corbin's recommendation. My LBS didn't seem to have
them either, or other ones in the area. Is UDC UK the best place to get
these washers, or does anyone know of a better resource for the US?

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name | 'Myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout)
Old August 6th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

siafirede wrote:
I am looking at ordering some brass washers too for my KH/Schlumpf
wheelbuild based on Corbin's recommendation. My LBS didn't seem to have
them either, or other ones in the area. Is UDC UK the best place to get
these washers, or does anyone know of a better resource for the US?

hey man, i did some searching:

http://tinyurl.com/6rtyat

I'm not sure if those are the right ones or not. Also, i saw a pack on
ebay for like $9.99 -- that might work too.

-corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old August 9th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

I ordered from Bike Tools Etc. (see my previous post for link). They
arrived fine, but I haven't used them yet.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken

I've been flying.......
Old January 7th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

corbin;1050795 wrote:
Make sure they use brass washers on the elbow end. I had a coker wheel
build without them, and broke a lot of spokes.

Thank you for that advice. I asked for them at my local bike store, but
they don't seem to use them.

siafirede;1074535 wrote:
My LBS didn't seem to have them either, or other ones in the area.

Me neither!

I wanted my wheel built properly so I took a spoke down to a local
engineering place and bought some stainless steel M3 washers. They are
not quite as small as the brass ones but they seem to do the job, and
are widely available I imagine. Would there be any reason why brass ones
are better for wheelbuilding? I haven't snapped any more spokes yet...

|Filename: Spoke washers.jpg |

Rowan
Old January 7th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Brass will deform and help distribute the stress at the spoke head
better.

--
saskatchewanian