Strongest 700c Rim?

Old July 2nd 05, 02:47 AM
Chalo

Default Strongest 700c Rim?

I need a 700c rim to lace up to an electric hub motor. The bike for
which this motor is intended could wind up having a gross vehicle
weight of up to 500 lbs. But hub motors are available only in 36 hole
drilling, so it's important that I use the strongest 36 hole 700c rim I
can get my hands on.

The heaviest and strongest 700c rim I have ever used is the Sun Rhyno,
but this formidable 850g rim has been out of production for several
years. I know that St. Johns Street Cycles in the UK has some in
stock, but I'd prefer to find something in the USA if possible.

The largest and heaviest 700c rim I can still find here is the Sun
Rhyno Lite 700c, 27.5mm wide and about 600g.

So my question is this: Does anybody know of a currently available rim
in 700c and 36 hole drilling that would be stronger than the Sun Rhyno
Lite?

Chalo Colina

Old July 2nd 05, 04:18 AM
jim beam

Chalo wrote:
[...]

if it's the hub i think it is, be careful. it has an amazingly low
right side flange spacing, about 5mm, and i think that, with all due
respect to your size chalo, that could cause some severe problems. not
enough bracing angle = very low lateral stability, especially on a 700c.
just check before proceeding.

Old July 2nd 05, 04:51 AM
daveornee

Chalo Wrote:
[...]

What width tire will you be using?
I have Sun Rhyno Lite 36H 700C, but I think Mavic A719 36H 700 i
stronger. Sun Ryno Lite is wider and ~ 20 grams heavier. I agre
with your thoughts on Sun Ryno (the not lite version).
Mavic only rates the A719 for 125 kg, but I have overloaded it on
touring tandem with almost 500 pounds of riders and gear. They held u
fine for a San Diego to Seattle ride

--
daveornee

Old July 2nd 05, 10:04 AM
Chalo

jim beam wrote:

Chalo wrote:
I need a 700c rim to lace up to an electric hub motor. The bike for
which this motor is intended could wind up having a gross vehicle
weight of up to 500 lbs. But hub motors are available only in 36 hole
drilling, so it's important that I use the strongest 36 hole 700c rim I
can get my hands on.

if it's the hub i think it is, be careful. it has an amazingly low
right side flange spacing, about 5mm, and i think that, with all due
respect to your size chalo, that could cause some severe problems. not
enough bracing angle = very low lateral stability, especially on a 700c.
just check before proceeding.

It's true that the flange spacing on most hub motors is narrow, and
their offset can be dramatic if they are spaced to accept 7-speed
freewheels. So even though in principle I prefer the dynamic qualities
of rear wheel drive, I'm going to use a front hub motor in this case.
As far as I can tell, this will allow a completely symmetrical wheel.

The spoke bracing angle will be reduced compared to a conventional
front wheel, but I expect that it will be comparable to a conventional
rear wheel, perhaps even a bit wider.

Chalo Colina

Old July 2nd 05, 02:41 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Chalo wrote:
[...]

Velocity Dyad or Mavic T-519.

Old July 2nd 05, 04:01 PM
jim beam

Chalo wrote:
jim beam wrote:

Chalo wrote:

[...]

if it's front, you have no worries.

Old July 2nd 05, 08:33 PM
Ken Pisichko

Chalo wrote:

So my question is this: Does anybody know of a currently available rim
in 700c and 36 hole drilling that would be stronger than the Sun Rhyno
Lite?

Check with Arvon Stacey in Alberta. He builds expedition bicycles and rims.
Hubs too - his use 13 (or is it 12 ) ga spokes for racing sulky wheels 4
cartridge bearings instead of just 2. Almost indestructible.. E-mail is:

His rims are made of extrusions that are custom made for him. Frames and
forks (etc) hand made, etc....

Ken

Winnipeg, Canada

Old July 2nd 05, 10:38 PM
Chalo

Ken Pisichko wrote:

Check with Arvon Stacey in Alberta. He builds expedition bicycles and rims.
Hubs too - his use 13 (or is it 12 ) ga spokes for racing sulky wheels 4
cartridge bearings instead of just 2. Almost indestructible.. E-mail is:

His rims are made of extrusions that are custom made for him. Frames and
forks (etc) hand made, etc....

Thanks for the tip. I have talked with Arvon about getting one of his
proportional tall frames, but I was unaware that he made special
wheels.

Chalo Colina

Old July 2nd 05, 10:55 PM
Chalo

daveornee wrote:

Chalo Wrote:

I need a 700c rim to lace up to an electric hub motor. The bike for
which this motor is intended could wind up having a gross vehicle
weight of up to 500 lbs. But hub motors are available only in 36 hole
drilling, so it's important that I use the strongest 36 hole 700c rim
I can get my hands on.

What width tire will you be using?

Under the circumstances, I am not considering anything less than an
actual 35mm or so. I reckon I'll use Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x38
tires; so far I am very impressed with their ruggedness and ride
qualities.

I have Sun Rhyno Lite 36H 700C, but I think Mavic A719 36H 700 is
stronger. Sun Ryno Lite is wider and ~ 20 grams heavier.

Interesting. I use similar T519 rims in 48 hole drilling on one of my
bikes, and I'm happy with them. But since they are narrower, not
significantly taller, and no heavier than Rhyno Lites, I didn't think
they'd be any stronger.

Mavic only rates the A719 for 125 kg, but I have overloaded it on a
touring tandem with almost 500 pounds of riders and gear. They held up
fine for a San Diego to Seattle ride.

The open road seems comparatively merciful to wheels in my experience.
My usual workday commute is cratered and rutted by railroad tracks and
truck traffic, and constitutes a very difficult environment for wheels.
I recently pinch flatted a 38mm tire that was pumped up to 100psi--
while riding in an alleged bike lane!

Chalo Colina

Old July 2nd 05, 11:06 PM
Chalo

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Chalo wrote:

So my question is this: Does anybody know of a currently available rim
in 700c and 36 hole drilling that would be stronger than the Sun Rhyno
Lite?

Chalo Colina

Velocity Dyad or Mavic T-519.

I thought the Dyad was pretty lightweight and not particularly wide or
tall? I don't see what about it puts it in the category of heavy-duty
rims.

The Mavic T519 does seem roughly equal in strength to the Rhyno Lite,
though.

I wish Velocity would use the big extrusion from their MTB and BMX
deep-V rims to make a 700c rim. Now that would build a mighty wheel.

Chalo Colina