Shimano PD-A520 SPD Pedal versus M520 Pedal

Old July 24th 05, 07:39 AM
buck

Default Shimano PD-A520 SPD Pedal versus M520 Pedal

Looking for a pedal to use almost entirely "on road". Already have SPD
shoes but am debating between the PD-A520 one-sided road pedal or just
getting the M520 offroad pedal so can clip in both sides. Anyone using the
PD-A520 ... comments appreciated.
-TIA

Old July 24th 05, 03:31 PM
Pete

"buck" wrote in message
ers.com...
Looking for a pedal to use almost entirely "on road". Already have SPD
shoes but am debating between the PD-A520 one-sided road pedal or just
getting the M520 offroad pedal so can clip in both sides. Anyone using
the PD-A520 ... comments appreciated.
-TIA

I've used both types. I have a very fine custom road bike, all Italian,
except for the Shimano off-road pedals on it. For me, there is just no
substitute for double-sided SPD pedals in the real world off stop and go
riding around town.
Pete

Old July 24th 05, 06:22 PM
Robin Hubert

buck wrote:
Looking for a pedal to use almost entirely "on road". Already have SPD
shoes but am debating between the PD-A520 one-sided road pedal or just
getting the M520 offroad pedal so can clip in both sides. Anyone using the
PD-A520 ... comments appreciated.
-TIA

A-520 is nicely balanced and is easy to flip up and engage. That said,
I still prefer double sided pedals.

Robin Hubert
Old July 24th 05, 06:36 PM

buck wrote:
Looking for a pedal to use almost entirely "on road". Already have SPD
shoes but am debating between the PD-A520 one-sided road pedal or just
getting the M520 offroad pedal so can clip in both sides. Anyone using the
PD-A520 ... comments appreciated.
-TIA

I have lots of bikes and many sets of SPD pedals, of both single and
double sided types. The double sided are certainly easier to get in
and out of in traffic. The difference in weight between the single and
double sided models is insignificant so when I do purchase a new set it
is the double sided ones.

There are non-Shimano ones that are very light but I have always had
reliablity problems with the ones I have tried.