Annual Road Find Thread

Old December 1st 09, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Annual Road Find Thread

Gad, I'm almost hesitant to do this this year. I didn't get to ride
as much this year as usually in the past, so my own finds were kinda
mundane. The usual small tools (mostly sockets), stray cutlery (the
legendary forks in the road), and such.
In the scary department, I'd gone over to a friend's house, and there
was a broken crack pipe in the street out in front. My friend is a cop,
so it was interesting to see his reaction.
My best find of the year was probably the nice new bandana that I
picked up. Now laundered, it rides in my trunk bag, ready to provide a
little insulation inside my h*met in cold weather, or something to soak
up a little water for an evaporative cooler effect in the same place
when it's hot.
So how did the rest of you do? You shouldn't have much trouble
beating me this year...

Bill

__o |
_`\(,_ | Roads aren't for cars. They're for people.
(_)/ (_) |
Old December 2nd 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ABS

Since I'm confined to paths-only I don't see much junk out there. My
most memorable find this year though was a couple of bobcat cubs
frolicking like happy housecats with fresh catnip. As I rolled up
they made magnificent leaps off the trail into the bushes.
Yup, pretty heart-warming out on the old trail.
ABS
Old December 2nd 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Dec 1, 12:44*pm, wrote:
* *Gad, I'm almost hesitant to do this this year. *I didn't get to ride
as much this year as usually in the past, so my own finds were kinda
mundane. *The usual small tools (mostly sockets), stray cutlery (the
legendary forks in the road), and such. *
* *In the scary department, I'd gone over to a friend's house, and there
was a broken crack pipe in the street out in front. *My friend is a cop,
so it was interesting to see his reaction.
* *My best find of the year was probably the nice new bandana that I
picked up. *Now laundered, it rides in my trunk bag, ready to provide a
little insulation inside my h*met in cold weather, or something to soak
up a little water for an evaporative cooler effect in the same place
when it's hot.
* *So how did the rest of you do? *You shouldn't have much trouble
beating me this year...

Only thing I remember taking home was a small stuffed bear who was
amongst a few dozen who had committed suicide by the side of the road
in Hermitage Tennessee.
Old December 3rd 09, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Norman

On Dec 1, 1:44*pm, wrote:
* *Gad, I'm almost hesitant to do this this year. *I didn't get to ride
as much this year as usually in the past, so my own finds were kinda
mundane. *The usual small tools (mostly sockets), stray cutlery (the
legendary forks in the road), and such. *
* *In the scary department, I'd gone over to a friend's house, and there
was a broken crack pipe in the street out in front. *My friend is a cop,
so it was interesting to see his reaction.
* *My best find of the year was probably the nice new bandana that I
picked up. *Now laundered, it rides in my trunk bag, ready to provide a
little insulation inside my h*met in cold weather, or something to soak
up a little water for an evaporative cooler effect in the same place
when it's hot.
* *So how did the rest of you do? *You shouldn't have much trouble
beating me this year...

A "Red Kap" jacket with "Honda" embroidered on it.
Four stocking caps.
A plastic milk crate for my shopping bike.
9mm socket (1/4" drive).
Three left-hand gloves.
One right-hand glove.
One 10 Agorot coin.
Several hose clamps.
& my favourite so far:
9mm bullet, unfired, but with a dented primer.

Just as with the gloves, I am hoping to find a mate for the
9mm bullet.
Old December 7th 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
pH

On Dec 4, 8:04 am, TomP wrote:
The streets around here get swept frequently so there is not much to find;
except that unseen piece of glass or fine wire that punctures the tires on
my bike.

--
Tp,

Really did not find a heck of a lot this year...nothing stands out in
my mind, at any rate.

I came across a couple screwdrivers: one of good quality and one of
high-grade putty.

A few sockets of good quality including an 11mm and 9/16" and two or
three Mag-Wheel custom lugnuts that faked me out into thinking they
were sockets (which I duly recycled).

I used to find a lot more things on my rural commute from Aptos, CA to
Watsonville, CA.
Now that I go to much more urbanized Santa Cruz, CA, there is much
much less to find and what I do find is almost invariably small. It
has to be to escape the notice of all the other folks who are out
there.

Maybe I should take my old commute once a year just to see what's
collected!

Pureheart

Intriguing road find Rex Kerr General 9 March 19th 09 04:20 PM
Annual Road-Find Thread [email protected] General 13 December 10th 08 03:02 PM
Annual Road Find Thread [email protected] General 32 December 29th 07 09:30 AM
What's your best road find of the year? [email protected] General 45 December 25th 06 01:08 AM
Help me find 700c thread onewheeldave Unicycling 2 August 10th 04 11:03 PM