A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Looking for a cheap road bike



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 6th 03, 04:28 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Looking for a cheap road bike

I own a Raleigh M20 which I bought back a few years ago when I was in
college for neighborhood riding. Now I've gotten into riding on paved
trails and the mountain bike just doesn't cut it; it feels heavy and
slow. I'd really like to buy a road bike but they're all really
expensive. Anyone have any recommendations for cheaper road bikes?
The cheapest (new) one I've seen is the 2003 Motobecane Mirage listed
on bikesdirect.com for $325. Anyone know anything about this one?
Otherwise, can anyone recommend any resources for buying an
inexpensive, preferably new, road bike?


Fit is *the* key issue on a road bike, especially so on your first one.
Your best bet is to save up a bit more money and find a local dealer who's
known to be really good at matching up the rider to the bike, because the
right bike is going to be one that's going to beg you to ride it, one that
can't stand sitting in the garage, one that makes you feel guilty because
you'd rather be out riding your bike than doing just about anything else.

Conversely, a bike that doesn't quite fit right, or has something that's not
running the way it ought to, is likely to spend its time gathering dust and
become one of those "Well, tried the road bike thing, glad I didn't spend
even more money on it" deals.

Entry-level road bikes at shops have improved in quality and come down quite
a bit in price lately; the '04 TREK 1000, for example, runs about $520. And
aside from fit, a good local dealer is going to maintain a sense of
ownership about the bike, so that if something isn't the way it ought to be,
they're going to do what they can to take care of it.

The most expensive bike you can buy is the one that doesn't get ridden much.
The best "deal" on a bike... well, I've laid out that stuff above!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com


Ads
  #2  
Old August 6th 03, 05:08 PM
Rick Onanian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Looking for a cheap road bike

On 6 Aug 2003 08:06:58 -0700, Jesse wrote:
expensive. Anyone have any recommendations for cheaper road bikes? The
cheapest (new) one I've seen is the 2003 Motobecane Mirage listed
on bikesdirect.com for $325. Anyone know anything about this one?
Otherwise, can anyone recommend any resources for buying an
inexpensive, preferably new, road bike?


For new bikes, I've seen a Diamondback at Dick's Sporting Goods
(a large chain of sporting goods stores) for around that price.
It appeared to be a worthwhile ride.

Thanks.

--
Rick Onanian
  #4  
Old August 6th 03, 05:14 PM
Bob M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Looking for a cheap road bike

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 15:28:45 GMT, Mike Jacoubowsky
wrote:

I own a Raleigh M20 which I bought back a few years ago when I was in
college for neighborhood riding. Now I've gotten into riding on paved
trails and the mountain bike just doesn't cut it; it feels heavy and
slow. I'd really like to buy a road bike but they're all really
expensive. Anyone have any recommendations for cheaper road bikes?
The cheapest (new) one I've seen is the 2003 Motobecane Mirage listed
on bikesdirect.com for $325. Anyone know anything about this one?
Otherwise, can anyone recommend any resources for buying an
inexpensive, preferably new, road bike?


Fit is *the* key issue on a road bike, especially so on your first one.
Your best bet is to save up a bit more money and find a local dealer
who's
known to be really good at matching up the rider to the bike, because the
right bike is going to be one that's going to beg you to ride it, one
that
can't stand sitting in the garage, one that makes you feel guilty because
you'd rather be out riding your bike than doing just about anything else.

Conversely, a bike that doesn't quite fit right, or has something that's
not
running the way it ought to, is likely to spend its time gathering dust
and
become one of those "Well, tried the road bike thing, glad I didn't spend
even more money on it" deals.

Entry-level road bikes at shops have improved in quality and come down
quite
a bit in price lately; the '04 TREK 1000, for example, runs about $520.
And
aside from fit, a good local dealer is going to maintain a sense of
ownership about the bike, so that if something isn't the way it ought to
be,
they're going to do what they can to take care of it.

The most expensive bike you can buy is the one that doesn't get ridden
much.
The best "deal" on a bike... well, I've laid out that stuff above!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com




Fit is definitely important. I have a Trek that I've had to buy certain
seats and set back seatposts in order to get the correct knee-to-pedal-
spindle distance for me and have had to buy a long stem. This year, when I
ordered a Brooks saddle, I couldn't get the correct knee-to-pedal-spindle
distance even with a set-back seatpost. So, I gave up and got a Lemond.
Even on the Lemond, I have my Brooks pushed back as far as it will go, and
I'm ordering a longer stem (and I've reversed the stem and put it down
about half an inch). Fit is by far the most important aspect on a racing
bike. On a mountain bike, fit doesn't seem to be as important, as I'm
always off the seat/back on the seat, walking, changing body positions. On
a racing bike, I tend to get in one position and stay there, although I do
climb out of the saddle quite a bit.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
  #5  
Old August 6th 03, 05:28 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Looking for a cheap road bike


Jesse wrote in message . ..
I'd really like to buy a road bike


Just remember, don't go mid range.

As an example, if you buy a Colnago Master X-
light with Campag Centaur then it will be sitting
unused in the garage in six months time when
you have to upgrade to a Colnago C40 B-Stay.

Same goes for Pinarello, cheap out with a Motello
running Campag Veloce and soon you will be
upgrading to the Prince SL running full Record.

Look, we're talking bikes, this is the cheapest of
all wheeled road sports. You just can't spend big
money on cycling. Three or so new top end frames
a season along with full gear and kit replacement
means you can still stay under $25,000 per year!

One last thing, a 52 cm frame is the sweet spot
for frame appearance, don't let some sales person
talk you into any other size.


  #6  
Old August 6th 03, 06:49 PM
Rick Onanian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Looking for a cheap road bike

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:14:55 GMT, Bob M wrote:

Fit is *the* key issue on a road bike, especially so on your first one.


Fit is definitely important. I have a Trek that I've had to buy certain


I'll third that motion. I regretted my Giant TCR2 pretty
badly until I was able to make it fit near properly.

Now, with a better fit and pedals that I can actually get
into, the only thing I miss is a triple crank, but the
fit and pedals make it possible for me to survive the
double anyway.

--
Rick Onanian
  #7  
Old August 6th 03, 09:45 PM
Rick Onanian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Looking for a cheap road bike

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 20:34:56 GMT, Bob M wrote:
into, the only thing I miss is a triple crank, but the


If you have the square bottom bracket, you can get a 110 BCD crank
that'll lighten the load. They are hard to find, but not impossible. I


Good point. I might just do that if I find I'm still
unhappy with this bike. Maybe I can find it with longer
crankarms, too, though that might affect my fit badly.
--
Rick Onanian
  #8  
Old August 6th 03, 10:13 PM
Fred
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Looking for a cheap road bike


"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:14:55 GMT, Bob M wrote:

Fit is *the* key issue on a road bike, especially so on your first

one.

Fit is definitely important. I have a Trek that I've had to buy

certain

I'll third that motion. I regretted my Giant TCR2 pretty
badly until I was able to make it fit near properly.

Now, with a better fit and pedals that I can actually get
into, the only thing I miss is a triple crank, but the
fit and pedals make it possible for me to survive the
double anyway.

--
Rick Onanian


I certainly am enjoying my TCR2 , - (but you wouldn't call that a cheap
bike , would you, at about a grand, in pounds that is?)
And by the way, there are only very few instances when I wish for a triple
chain ring.

Fred


  #9  
Old August 7th 03, 12:12 AM
Rick Onanian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Looking for a cheap road bike

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:13:20 +0000 (UTC), Fred
wrote:
I certainly am enjoying my TCR2 , - (but you wouldn't call that a cheap
bike , would you, at about a grand, in pounds that is?)


I got it discounted for $1,000. It's not a cheap bike, but it
is no high-end or even mid-range road racing bike -- it's just
a darn good value. Under 20 pounds [weight], for $1,000.

And by the way, there are only very few instances when I wish for a
triple chain ring.


I have to say, this bike does GO when I actually put my legs
into it; I just don't get the opportunity to leisurely climb
at a slow, spinning pace. All my climbs on this bike are
racing climbs [though, I'm sure, not proper racing technique].

Fred

--
Rick Onanian
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
Is 15 mile road bike commute too far? Jeffrey Pogodzinski General 39 August 7th 03 04:41 PM
Advice on buying used road bike Michael S. Moorhead General 4 August 6th 03 04:06 AM
ATB pedal on Road Bike Dave Stallard General 4 July 12th 03 01:23 AM
How to identify this older Peugeot road bike? Rick Onanian General 6 July 11th 03 08:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.