Ross Signature 290-S

Old August 7th 04, 04:36 PM
Jennifer and Daniel Wade

Default Ross Signature 290-S

I found a Ross Signature 290-S at a local thrift store. Three bucks
later it was in my car.

It is a nicely proportioned lugged steel frame, with a sticker that
says it's built with Ishiwata EX triple-butted CR-MO tubes

Based on what I've been able to dig up with Google, I don't think this
is one of the Tom Kellog frames- it also has a sticker that says "made
in Taiwan", and it was built up with really low end Shimano and SR
components.

Is this frame worth the time, effort, and money to re-paint? The bike
was unrideable when I brought it home, so I didn't get any time in the
saddle on it to get a feel for how nice the frame is.

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks,

-Dan

(Change the 'AT' to an @ and remove the 'nospam' to email me)

Old August 8th 04, 04:28 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Jennifer and Daniel Wade wrote:

I found a Ross Signature 290-S at a local thrift store. Three bucks
later it was in my car.

It is a nicely proportioned lugged steel frame, with a sticker that
says it's built with Ishiwata EX triple-butted CR-MO tubes

Based on what I've been able to dig up with Google, I don't think this
is one of the Tom Kellog frames- it also has a sticker that says "made
in Taiwan", and it was built up with really low end Shimano and SR
components.

Is this frame worth the time, effort, and money to re-paint? The bike
was unrideable when I brought it home, so I didn't get any time in the
saddle on it to get a feel for how nice the frame is.

I'd say yes - if it has the braze-ons you need (e.g. shifter bosses and
rear mech hanger). You know it's not a gaspiper. If you have it
resprayed by a proper framebuilder they can cold set the rear end to
130mm and check the alignment for a very small extra cost.