Trailers - Two wheeler or Single wheeler?

Old November 23rd 04, 03:28 AM
Les Sires

Default Trailers - Two wheeler or Single wheeler?

Does anyone have any experience touring with a trailer? Which type do you
prefer, single or double wheeled models?

Thanks

Old November 23rd 04, 06:03 AM
Paul W

For a trike a two wheeler is safer. A heavily loaded Bob can tip a trike
over on a downslope corner.

For 2 wheelers, as they say, I have no experience.
Paul W

Old November 23rd 04, 08:10 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Les Sires asked:

Does anyone have any experience touring with a trailer?

Many trips over many hundreds of kilometers.

Which type do you prefer, single or double wheeled models?

I've used both, and each has its own advantages: the single-wheeler is
lighter and handles better, the double-wheeler packs/unpacks easier and
holds more.

Old November 23rd 04, 11:44 AM
Doug Huffman

Thousands of miles with a BOB behind my LWB 'bent - some near fifty miles
per hour.

Old November 23rd 04, 04:43 PM
Joshua Goldberg

Dual Wheel
You can carry more stuff, greater weight (single wheel trailers are like 70
lbs. max).
The only downside (unless you are using a trike) is that sometimes you
forget the width
of the dual wheel trailer and clip objects that do not move i.e. lamp posts,
parking meters, trees and on really bad days as your turn, you clip cyclists
going in the opposite direction.

Other drawback is if the road or trail is uneven and one trailer wheel drops
suddenly, also riding on sidewalks and one wheel drops down at the curb,
with luck your axle breaks, without luck your bike is pulled off the
sidewalk & onto the roadway.

Still I prefer the dual wheel trailer/

I use a BikeBox Trailer and I never leave home without it (actually it holds
my (6) 12V batteries, so without it I have to use those metal things that
spin on metal bars...oh yeah Pedals).

Joshua
******

Old November 23rd 04, 04:52 PM
Skip

"Les Sires" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience touring with a trailer? Which type do you
prefer, single or double wheeled models?

Thanks

I've used a two wheeler with a bike friday. See it he
http://tinyurl.com/4r3nt

I've used it mostly for urban errands and shoping. It is versatile. The
cargo box is a Rubbermaid Action Packer available at discount stores in a
large or small sizes. It's tough, waterproof, and lockable. Fold the bike
back and it acts as a kick stand. Easy to load/unload. Easy to walk with.
Goes through doors. Stands up for storage in a closet if need be.

It can be used for touring and the bike friday suitcase can be fitted if
needed. I've seen one these trailers with a flat bed hauling a folding
kayak

I've done weekend camping trips without problems. In normal riding you can
hardly tell it's there. If it's loaded for touring and you are in the
mountains your awareness of it increases dramatically.

It is possible, I suppose, to hook a wheel on something or to let a wheel
drift off the road, but I've never managed to do it.

Old November 23rd 04, 05:39 PM
BentJay

Having used both plus a nice set of Arkels panniers I'd have to
say...it depends. I sold the BOB because I believe it puts undue
torque on the frame and is a bear to manipulate at a standstill. My
Quick-Pak trailer is really terrific, especially if you've got a lot
to carry. We'll use it this coming summer on NYS Bike Route 17 as my
son, daughter and I ride it for a self-contained 650 mile fortnight.
Unlike the BOB which puts 50% of the weight on the frame, the
Quick-Pak is more like 70/30%, trailer/frame. The Arkels were perfect
for my solo tour last summer, especially since I had to "hitch" across
a non-pedestrian bridge between Detroit and Windsor. Hmm, what will I
take on a transam in 2006?

BentJay

See my tour journal at: http://aroundthelake.crazyguyonabike.com
Old November 24th 04, 12:25 PM
Around Australia Recumbent Style

"Les Sires" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience touring with a trailer? Which type do you
prefer, single or double wheeled models?

Thanks

My wife and I used Bob trailers on our 19,000 km around Australia trike tour
and loved them. They exceeded our expectations by far, and we exceeded the
limits, both weight and speed with excellent results. We would recommend
them.

regards

Andrew

http://www.geocities.com/andrewhooke...leTouring.html

Old November 25th 04, 10:51 AM
Steve W

This one works well for me and I would reccomend it for ease and volume,
it's also pretty light which is important for touring.
http://www.ice.hpv.co.uk/reference_picture_gallery.htm
click classic "owners"
It' s a Burley Nomad.

Regards
SW

Old November 25th 04, 03:48 PM
Carol Hague

Paul W wrote:

For a trike a two wheeler is safer. A heavily loaded Bob can tip a trike
over on a downslope corner.

Whilst not arguing that this couldn't happen, I've frequently zoomed
down the only steep bit on my route home from the supermarket with my
shopping-laden Bob Coz on the back of my GTO and safely negotiated the
sharp bend near the bottom without so much as lifting a wheel. Of
course, I'm not exactly speedy.

--
Carol
"I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"

High quality Single Speed Bicycle on a budget? Lobo Tommy General 24 April 3rd 04 09:01 AM
Single speed wheels TheGreatGatsby UK 1 February 3rd 04 04:30 PM
SPD pedal opinions - single or double sided ? Hywel & Ros UK 11 December 22nd 03 01:27 PM
DF with Single Speeds hope bents don't go that way Mike Recumbent Biking 11 July 31st 03 04:03 PM