bicycle theif characteristics

Old January 12th 09, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ilaboo[_3_]

Default bicycle theif characteristics

any studies of characteristics of stolen bikes--like where stolen
where found? where was the theifs address vs where bike stolen?

thanks
peter
Old January 14th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

ilaboo wrote:
any studies of characteristics of stolen bikes--like where stolen
where found? where was the theifs address vs where bike stolen?

I don't know about that, but I know a rather large percentage of bikes
stolen are unlocked. I can't count the number of times I've seen the
post "My bike was stolen, if you see it blahlblahblah", then seen
someone ask - "what did you lock it with?" be answered by "Nothing".

I just went into the store for a second.
It was sitting on my porch.
It was in my backyard.
I just went into the bathroom for a minute.
etc.

--
Dane Buson -
You will never amount to much.
Old January 15th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_2_]

::
:: I don't know about that, but I know a rather large percentage of
:: bikes stolen are unlocked. I can't count the number of times I've
:: seen the post "My bike was stolen, if you see it blahlblahblah",
:: then seen someone ask - "what did you lock it with?" be answered by
:: "Nothing".
::
:: I just went into the store for a second.
:: It was sitting on my porch.
:: It was in my backyard.
:: I just went into the bathroom for a minute.
:: etc.
::
:: --
:: Dane Buson -

I knew a guy who ran into his house at lunchtime and when he came out, his
saddle and seatpost were gone. The bike was still there, though....

Pat in TX

Old January 15th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On Jan 12, 6:26*am, ilaboo wrote:
any studies of characteristics of stolen bikes--like where stolen
where found? where was the theifs address vs where bike stolen?

I''ve never seen any but you might want to check with a university
geography or criminology dept.

I wonder if some of the more modern geographical profiling approaches
applied to ciminal activities would work in such a study.

If there is none, and you're a student looking for a thesis.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada