London sees a different type of cyclist

Old December 14th 10, 11:24 AM
mischastar mischastar is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the mundane prophet of the last days before the end of times[_2_] View Post
On Dec 11, 2:16 pm, dr_jeff wrote:
On 12/11/10 12:34 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, the mundane
prophet of the last days before the end of times wrote:

On Dec 11, 12:24 pm, Derek wrote:

I don't know which part of London Mike Jacoubowsky visited to see all
those law abiding cyclists, but it's obviously nowhere I have been!

Derek C

Everything is OK for a cyclist EXCEPT riding on sidewalks and pushing
around pedestrians.

That's the way it is around here.

I hope that the NYC cops start enforcing the bicycling laws (both those
that apply to car drivers and bicycle riders), particularly with bike lanes.

Jeff

If you make people stand 3 minutes at the light in extreme heat or
cold, nobody would ride.

It's better to do like the Taliban and put a ban on it.

It's good they ticket bikes on sidewalks in the meantime though.
It's amusing how a simply discussion regarding cyclists in London is able to bring up the "special relationship" and other political bombs.
Old December 14th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

Default London sees a different type of cyclist

On Dec 14, 5:24 am, mischastar
wrote:

-
On Dec 11, 12:24 pm, Derek wrote:-
--
[...]

Political bombs make real bombs unnecessary. It's like Kennedy said,

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent
revolution inevitable." -John F. Kennedy

Reality is it would take 100 years to make it possible for every
citizen in the West to ride a bicycle in peace at this pace, and if I
don't have peace, I give a fart about peace out there. Let the Law of
the Jungle be unleashed for all.
Old December 14th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

On Dec 14, 1:35 pm, Miles Bader wrote:
"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, not your average backyard philosopher"

writes:
Well, since the INTERSECTIONS are the most problematic, you may have
to around the block in circles to play it safe.

Of course you won't.

You take a greater risk at every intersection and must look over your
shoulder to see traffic, which may not have seen you or simply don't
care. One such terrorist blasted the horn at me meaning, "I ain't
stopping," and I had to stop in humiliation in a live or die
situation.

And how about the vehicles coming out of driveways that ignore you in
your face and block the path?

What about them? [Driveways are very rare here, but even in the
U.S. where they're common, that's a vanishingly infrequent occurrence
(even if it's annoying when it happens).]

What do you mean? Every parking lot has one in commercial areas.

I don't find that fun and find walking less stressful.

You clearly have your preferences, and obviously are welcome to them.
But you really shouldn't try so hard to impose them on others...

You are passing the buck to the pedestrians instead of taking your
place on the road. I don't blame because that's a SURVIVAL STRATEGY,
but please do not prescribe it to others.

I was riding a bike and all of a sudden I caught a crack on the
sidewalk, and planted my foot so hard that it was hurting for a while.
Old people can't handle that, nor a blow from some cyclist who may not
be as careful as you are.

Not everybody rides on the sidewalk, but maybe hmm, 75% or so I'd guess.

So I guess pedestrians are an endangered species just like frogs,

Not at all; I'd guess there are probably more pedestrians here than
where you live too ... :]

Thousands of cyclists and pedestrians... I wonder if it's NYC of the
Magic Kingdom.