Storing Tubies...

Old July 12th 05, 08:27 PM
Phatykoko

Default Storing Tubies...

So, the cross bike sits around for over half the year, as do the
tubies. What is the best way to store the wheels? Inflated?
Deflated? Somewhere in-between?

Thanks...

Old July 12th 05, 08:57 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Phatykoko wrote:
So, the cross bike sits around for over half the year, as do the
tubies. What is the best way to store the wheels? Inflated?
Deflated? Somewhere in-between?

Tubular lore says half inflated in a dark place.
Old July 12th 05, 10:54 PM
John Everett

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:57:10 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

Phatykoko wrote:
So, the cross bike sits around for over half the year, as do the
tubies. What is the best way to store the wheels? Inflated?
Deflated? Somewhere in-between?

Tubular lore says half inflated in a dark place.

And away from electric motors. :-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old July 12th 05, 11:41 PM
2WheelMotion

The Discovery channel had a special about Lance and the Tour...
There is a guy who is responsible for glueing Lance's tubulars to the
rims, (yes, they age the tubular tires...specifically the *glue* ...
for 3 years) stores the tubulars, glued on the rims, in a basement. I
don't know the humidity or temperature of the basement.

So I would say glue 'em to the wheels and age them for a season, if you
have the spare wheels, and train on some other wheels. Probably store
them in the basement or garage. Avoid extreme temperature swings and
sunlight. Sunlight will oxidize the rubber, and might adversly affect
the glue.

Old July 13th 05, 02:22 AM
Victor Kan

2WheelMotion wrote:
The Discovery channel had a special about Lance and the Tour...
There is a guy who is responsible for glueing Lance's tubulars to the
rims, (yes, they age the tubular tires...specifically the *glue* ...
for 3 years) stores the tubulars, glued on the rims, in a basement. I
don't know the humidity or temperature of the basement.

I saw the same special and the tires were NOT glued to rims. They were
sitting in piles, loose, not even kept particularly flat and round.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Old July 13th 05, 02:56 AM

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 01:22:06 GMT, Victor Kan
wrote:

2WheelMotion wrote:
The Discovery channel had a special about Lance and the Tour...
There is a guy who is responsible for glueing Lance's tubulars to the
rims, (yes, they age the tubular tires...specifically the *glue* ...
for 3 years) stores the tubulars, glued on the rims, in a basement. I
don't know the humidity or temperature of the basement.

I saw the same special and the tires were NOT glued to rims. They were
sitting in piles, loose, not even kept particularly flat and round.

Dear Victor,

I wish that I could see the program.

You'd think that the Discovery Channel would show it again
during the Tour de France, but . . .

http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/ep...&channel =DSC

Drat.

Carl Fogel
Old July 13th 05, 02:04 PM
Victor Kan

I wish that I could see the program.

You'd think that the Discovery Channel would show it again
during the Tour de France, but . . .

http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/ep...&channel =DSC

Drat.

I'm not 100% sure, but they may have showed the same or a similar
segment on FitTV's 5-show Chasing Lance series (or at least I think they
talked to the same mechanic), which is being replayed.

I wouldn't be surprised if they replayed that show in the near future,
especially if Lance wins his 7th.

Old July 14th 05, 06:51 AM

On 13 Jul 2005 13:30:02 -0700, "Todd Tracy"

wrote:

2WheelMotion wrote:
The Discovery channel had a special about Lance and the Tour...
There is a guy who is responsible for glueing Lance's tubulars to the
rims, (yes, they age the tubular tires...specifically the *glue* ...
for 3 years) stores the tubulars, glued on the rims, in a basement. I
don't know the humidity or temperature of the basement.

I saw the same special and the tires were NOT glued to rims. They were
sitting in piles, loose, not even kept particularly flat and round.

Dear Victor,

I wish that I could see the program.

You'd think that the Discovery Channel would show it again
during the Tour de France, but . . .

http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/ep...&channel =DSC

Drat.

Carl Fogel

Well, if you really want to see it...

http://tinyurl.com/cocmm

Dear Todd,

Hmmm . . .

Not available until August 3.

Requires one of those new-fangled DVD things rather than my
steam-powered Simpsons VHS player (I'm going to get around
to seeing that last season episode one of these days.)

And I'd be paying $21.95 + $5.95 shipping just to see if
something really silly was said about tubulars.

I may be able to contain my raging interest.

But thanks for the link. Others may want to buy the DVD.

Carl Fogel

Storing NiMH Batteries Drinky UK 4 April 15th 04 07:52 PM
Storing coker in trunk wentz Unicycling 2 March 16th 04 03:36 AM
London to Canterbury trains, bikes and storing things John Hearns UK 2 October 3rd 03 12:44 PM