Stem creaks

Old July 13th 05, 01:46 PM
notasmuch

Default Stem creaks

I have been suffering handlebar area creaks since I changed to my new setup
(Ritchey WCS stem + WCS road Handlebar). It happens almost every time I
switch weights on the bar, hit a bump in the road or when I swing the bike
laterally while standing on the pedals.

I narrowed the noise to the stem and I am almost sure that it comes from the
"z-clamp" area at the top of the faceplate.

I have greased the bolt threads, head base and interfacing areas in bolt and
stem I tried luck several times and with different greases (slick honey,
Finish Line, Shimano and ti prep), cleaning it all with citrus degreaser in
between each application. Nothing works, still creaks.

Stem bolts are torqued at 5 nm. (max manufacturer recommendation).

I have also tried wrapping the handlebar with a bit of electrical tape were
it contacts the stem, but the bar turns inside the stem (at the recommended
torque settings).

Any advice?

Thanks a lot

--
notasmuch

Old July 14th 05, 11:39 AM
Ron Ruff

I don't have your equipment, and have never had this particular
problem, but since nobody else is answering...

I'm assuming that you've checked and lubed *everything* associated with
the stem on both ends (steer tube and bars)... so why are you certain
that the stem is the problem? I've found that it is very hard to
isolate where a creak is coming from... just have to begin somewhere
and eliminate them one by one.

Check the headset adjustment.

If it creaks only when you are on the hoods, it's probably the brake
levers.

Also check/lube the front QR, and where it and the hub interface with
the fork. Make sure the QR is tight enough. I've had a squeak there
before.

That's about all the ideas I have... maybe someone else has some better
ones. Hopefully it isn't caused by a crack or flaw in your steer tube,
stem, or bars. When you find out what it is, please let us know.

Good luck,

Ron