Clean and lube chain

Old July 9th 05, 03:11 AM
Joe S.

Default Clean and lube chain

How many folks clean and lube their chains the old fashioned way -- with
rags and brushes, a container of solvent, and a container of grease/chain
lube -- versus how many use a chain cleaning machine such as the Park tool
shown he
http://www.parktool.com/tools/CM_5.shtml

Thanks.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old July 9th 05, 03:50 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:11:44 -0500, "Joe S."
wrote:

How many folks clean and lube their chains the old fashioned way -- with
rags and brushes, a container of solvent, and a container of grease/chain
lube -- versus how many use a chain cleaning machine such as the Park tool
shown he
http://www.parktool.com/tools/CM_5.shtml

Your inquiry ignores the fact that many use neither.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 9th 05, 03:56 AM
Ken

"Joe S." wrote in :
How many folks clean and lube their chains the old fashioned way -- with
rags and brushes, a container of solvent, and a container of grease/chain
lube -- versus how many use a chain cleaning machine such as the Park tool

Drop the chain in a plastic jar with an inch of degreaser. Shake for a
minute. Comes out nice and clean.
Old July 9th 05, 07:01 AM
Bill Sornson

Joe S. wrote:
How many folks clean and lube their chains the old fashioned way --
with rags and brushes, a container of solvent, and a container of
grease/chain lube -- versus how many use a chain cleaning machine
such as the Park tool shown he
http://www.parktool.com/tools/CM_5.shtml

Hardly ever clean any of my chains. Run 'em thru a rag, then lube with
White Lightning. They ain't pretty, but run fine and last well too.

Bill "low maintenance" S.

Old July 9th 05, 08:20 AM
Sandy

Dans le message de ,
Bill Sornson a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré :
Joe S. wrote:
How many folks clean and lube their chains the old fashioned way --
with rags and brushes, a container of solvent, and a container of
grease/chain lube -- versus how many use a chain cleaning machine
such as the Park tool shown he
http://www.parktool.com/tools/CM_5.shtml

Hardly ever clean any of my chains. Run 'em thru a rag, then lube
with White Lightning. They ain't pretty, but run fine and last well
too.
Bill "low maintenance" S.

Makes plenty of sense to me. I think there are people writing here who
spend more time fiddling with their idle toys than riding them. I'm happy
to wipe and oil and wipe when I hear the chain becoming louder. Like every
two weeks, or so. Chains do wear, of course, as do cassettes and
chainrings. I don't consider that the time I would spend being meticulous
is paid back by getting marginally more life out of the components.
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine

La vie, c'est comme une bicyclette,
il faut avancer pour ne pas perdre l'équilibre.
-- Einstein, A.

Old July 9th 05, 01:38 PM
Ken M

I remove the chain, put into plastic container, pour in a bit of
generic green cleaner swish it about for a few minutes, remove from
container, rinse with water, spray with wd-40 stuff, put back on bike,
then lube and ride.

Ken

Old July 9th 05, 10:00 PM
Nick Caratzas

I run my chains through the machine about once a year, just because I
have it. Get it if you feel the need for a toy. It's actually more
likely to make a mess than removing and dunking the chain. Simple
Green works fine after you run out of the expensive cleaner that comes
with it.

The rest of the time I do what Bill S. and Sandy do (wipe and oil when
I can't stand the noise any more).

Old July 10th 05, 05:10 AM
Steven M. Scharf

Joe S. wrote:

How many folks clean and lube their chains the old fashioned way -- with
rags and brushes, a container of solvent, and a container of grease/chain
lube -- versus how many use a chain cleaning machine such as the Park tool
shown he
http://www.parktool.com/tools/CM_5.shtml

The tools work well, and clean better than soaking, because the links
are in motion through the solvent. The hassle is that you have to change
the solvent many times before it runs clean, but it's still simpler than
removing the chain. Just use kerosene, or other petroleum based solvent,
never a water based solvent. You can filter the used solvent through a
paper coffee filter, and reuse it.

For lubing, you can actually use a second tool that you put chain oil in
(chainsaw oil works well, but 30W (not 10W30) is also okay). Or go to a
motorcycle parts store and buy a can of foaming chain lubricant, which
is very good because it penetrates inside the links, and it is very
tenacious (sp?). A can of the chain lube will last you many years, and
it is very easy to apply.

Old July 10th 05, 12:02 PM
Joe S.

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
ink.net...
Joe S. wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I asked my friendly local bike shop to
order a Parks tool for me -- I prefer to buy from them to ordering over the
Internet. I have some of the motorcycle chain lube -- it's also sold at
auto parts stores as "Heavy Duty Chain and Cable Lube" -- it's intended for
lubing chains and cables in industrial applications, goes on foamy and coats
everything.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old July 10th 05, 01:46 PM
C.J.Patten

I put a quicklink on my chain so I can remove it fast to drop in a large
bottle of Varsol.

Once re-installed and dried, White Lightning wax lube.

FYI: my parents would never take their chains off to clean them so I bought
them a chain cleaning tool. It takes a couple of solvent refresh cycles to
get really clean. Same deal - Varsol, then wax lube.

BTW: I find the wax lube repels gunk much better than other stuff. I don't
clean my chain nearly as often as I did when using oils.

C.