Saddle rails - risk of failure

Old July 11th 05, 10:16 PM
Chalo

Default Saddle rails - risk of failure

Werehatrack wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~wasatch5k/Saddle.jpg

Looks like mine. They aren't broke yet. I'm no featherweight. (For
a more definitive answer, I'd trust Chalo's opinion.)

I have laid waste to many a saddle rail, but not by breaking them.
They always bend.

I should note that I avoid Ti and tubular rails completely. However,
any material that can be formed into a saddle rail is probably ductile
enough to exhibit the same failure mode I've observed. This doesn't
count materials that are heat treated after forming, like Sandvik
Nanoflex.

It's only a guess, but I imagine that if a saddle rail is being loaded
such that its fatigue life is short enough to be a problem, the
occasional outlying peak load will probably be enough to bend it.

Chalo Colina

Old July 11th 05, 10:41 PM
NoNeedForAName

Bill Sornson wrote:
Wasatch5k wrote:

Just wondering,

I am running a high risk of saddle rail breakage by riding with the
saddle pushed back so far?

http://home.comcast.net/~wasatch5k/Saddle.jpg

Nope, looks fine. (If you pushed it back even more so that the rail's
/curve/ was in the clamp, then yeah I'd say you're asking for trouble.)

Go ride.

Great! Thanks for all of the replies.

Old July 12th 05, 04:58 AM
Kenny

Mine did. Selle Italia SLR.

Old July 12th 05, 05:00 AM
Mark Hickey

"Bill Sornson" wrote:

wrote:
lube the rails, reduces metal loss.
the cheaper the post, the shorter the clamp, more stress per mm on the
rails

You OK today Gene? That made a lot of sense!

Whew... I was hoping someone else thought so too - when his posts make
sense, I start worrying about me.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 12th 05, 05:08 AM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 21:00:26 -0700, Mark Hickey
wrote:

"Bill Sornson" wrote:

wrote:
lube the rails, reduces metal loss.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the cheaper the post, the shorter the clamp, more stress per mm on the
rails

You OK today Gene? That made a lot of sense!

Whew... I was hoping someone else thought so too - when his posts make
sense, I start worrying about me.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Dear Mark and Bill,

Er, how does lubrication of tightly clamped rails reduce
metal loss? Are they corroding through galvanic action?

Worriedly,

Carl Fogel
Old July 12th 05, 07:54 AM
Bill Sornson

wrote:

"Bill Sornson" wrote:

wrote:
lube the rails, reduces metal loss.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the cheaper the post, the shorter the clamp, more stress per mm on
the rails

You OK today Gene? That made a lot of sense!

Whew... I was hoping someone else thought so too - when his posts
make sense, I start worrying about me.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Dear Mark and Bill,

Er, how does lubrication of tightly clamped rails reduce
metal loss? Are they corroding through galvanic action?

Worriedly,

Carl Fogel

Dear Carl,

Worry not. We agreed that Gene's post /made sense/ (in a "it's pretty
coherent" sort of way), not was true.

Bill "not so sure about /price/ affecting rail stress, either, by the way"
S.

Old July 13th 05, 06:32 PM
Andrew F Martin

Are you road biking or mtn biking? I've got thousands of miles on a
number of different saddles, and I've never noticeably bent any of them
(road, cross, or track - never any mtn biking). They are all Ti.

Old July 14th 05, 04:11 AM
Wasatch5k

Andrew F Martin wrote:
Are you road biking or mtn biking? I've got thousands of miles on a
number of different saddles, and I've never noticeably bent any of them
(road, cross, or track - never any mtn biking). They are all Ti.

Currently on my road bike. I've never bent any rails either, even
though I weigh about 84kg.

-n

Old July 15th 05, 02:19 AM
Chalo

Andrew F Martin wrote:
Are you road biking or mtn biking? I've got thousands of miles on a
number of different saddles, and I've never noticeably bent any of them
(road, cross, or track - never any mtn biking). They are all Ti.

Most of my miles have been on the road. I have been an active rider at
body weights ranging from a very lean 230 lbs. to a not so lean 400
lbs. And I have occasionally bent saddle rails all along the way.

I imagine that either you are a lot smaller than I have ever been, or
you confine your riding to better surfaces than I do.

Chalo Colina

Manganese saddle rails? [email protected] Techniques 6 January 23rd 05 06:48 PM
Opinions please - saddle lifespan psycholist Techniques 23 January 23rd 05 02:52 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
OP Update - 3000 miles in 10 months... so Why am I still fat? Doug Cook General 68 May 26th 04 02:40 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM