Removing a pedal

Old July 19th 03, 04:52 AM
S. Anderson

Default Removing a pedal

"Michael" wrote in message
Any advice on removing a pedal that is absolutely welded to
the alloy crank? It's an old sleeve-type, and the only thing stick
out is the stem. I want to put on a set of clipless. It's so bad I'm
thinking of just getting another crank.

Michael

Use lots of penetrating oil, us a torch to heat the crank arm and use a vise
and a long pedal wrench. I've never failed to get a pedal out of a crank.
They are easy to use brute-force methods on, unlike seatposts.

Cheers,

Scott..

Old July 19th 03, 05:05 AM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:49:34 -0500,
,
"Michael" wrote:

Any advice on removing a pedal that is absolutely welded to
the alloy crank? It's an old sleeve-type, and the only thing stick
out is the stem. I want to put on a set of clipless. It's so bad I'm
thinking of just getting another crank.

Michael

First make certain you're turning it the right way. Left pedals have
left-hand threads. You loosen them by turning clockwise or just
opposite of regular right-hand threads.

You can try dribbling in some ammonia solution to disolve the oxidised
aluminum that is welding the steel to the crank arm. It's the same
principle that works for removing seized stems and seat posts.

See if you can get a length of pipe or tubing that will fit over the
crank arm. Secure the pedal axle in a vise and use the extended handle
for additional leverage.

Just make sure you're turning it the right way.
--
zk
Old July 19th 03, 07:45 AM
Michael

Thanks, guys! A little heat and oil and it finally
wanted to come out.

Michael

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:49:34 -0500,