Chain Stretch

Old September 20th 17, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Chain Stretch

On 9/15/2017 4:48 AM, John B. wrote:

I've been thinking about chain wear, sometimes called ch
See section #8d.2 he
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/

Yup, Brandt (in all his glory :-)

Disagree. Completely. Brandt shines much, much more brightly, where the subject has more depth. These few words, although correct and useful, are most assuredly NOT Brandt at his finest.

The term was meant to be sardonic.

Ok, sardonic, fine but where is the meaning?

Goodness. English language courses yet:

sardonic ~ adj
1. disdainfully or ironically humorous; scornful and mocking
--
Cheers,

John B.

I think he understands the meaning of sardonic. I think he's asking you
what was the meaning of your sardonic comment. What point were you
trying to make?

I've tried again and again and cannot make any sense of it, sardonically, sarcastically, backwards, inversely, or otherwise. I conclude that it was just an all-purpose, or all-occasion sneer, pulled out of a hat at random, as a decoration to his flowery speech, and in fact had no connection whatsoever to its object. The guy just gets off on being snide.

That said I apologize to all for the rant and will shut up now.

Old September 20th 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 9:59:37 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
[...]

Well, Jobst was a jerk. But a very knowledgeable one. So while he could make your blood boil he could also solve a lot of problems for you.

Old September 21st 17, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:37:04 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 19/09/2017 11:39 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:23:20 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 5:37:47 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:11:00 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:21:14 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 07:44:29 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I was commenting on Brandt's usual method of discussion, i.e., state a
"fact" and then labeling anyone that didn't agree with him as wrong.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 21st 17, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 5:04:06 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

Some memories are precious. http://www.majka.us/cookielady/ I'm in there, but I'm not telling you whe https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=1431

Go back to the 70s and early 80s. The pictures are great -- happy people in t-shirts and cut-offs or touring shorts. I'm in Bata Bikers and some pre-Nashbar Bike Warehouse touring shorts. No lycra in sight, for better or worse. Few high-end bikes. People were just having fun -- and discussions were not of epic pain and suffering and killer cars. I don't think they had bike lanes back then. Joerg would have to stay home and wait for the country to get connected-up.

The sad part is, almost all the folks in those photographs must have never
completed their rides. How could they? No plastic hats for protection, no
bike lanes to keep motorists from running them over, no lycra to prevent
deadly saddle sores, no index shifting to allow accurate downshifts for the
hills, and pounds and pounds of excess weight in the frames and wheels...

It's sad, sad, sad!

- Frank Krygowski

Old September 21st 17, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 12:34:12 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Gee whiz Frank,LOL.You make it sound as is EVERY bicycling advance inthe last 100+ years was Totally uneeded and thus wasteful.LOL

Are you going to add pneumatic tubes and realtively easy to remove clincher tires to that list too?

Actually, I believe that reliasble inexpensive index shifting is a MAJOR reason forany bicycling increase over the years = no more having tospend a long time learning how to shift properly.

Something I find most people get discouraged from trying bicycling is simply the distances they'd have to ride to get to anywhere.

Also, it's a lot harder to load a lot of groceries onto a bicycle than it is to put those groceries into a car.

Cheers
Old September 21st 17, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 23:12:17 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

I'm not so sure about that. I don't remember having a lot of troubles
when I first use friction shifters. Certainly I must have missed
shifts at first but that didn't last a long time. But that was just
"how a bicycle worked". Like bottle generators and incandescent
lights, and "who could ever need more then ten speeds".

Old September 21st 17, 11:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I wasn't asking, only translating.

--
duane
Old September 21st 17, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 11:12:22 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

You sure hit that one. Using glue-on's was one of the things that kept bicycling on high performance bicycles so rare in those days.
Old September 21st 17, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 9:34:12 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Saddle sores were deadly! I recall being in a crowded campground shower room with a bunch of TransAm cyclists listening to them comparing notes on the treatment of saddle sores. My Bike Warehouse touring shorts were pretty comfortable (slightly padded terry cloth crotch), but what put me ahead of the curve was the fact that I started the tour in the middle of a racing season. A lot of riders went out and bought bikes, jumped on and started riding -- or had little experience riding and certainly didn't have tough butts.

I rode the West Coast up into Canada in 1976, the first year of the Bikecentennial trail, and practically nobody was wearing helmets. By 1981, when I rode across the US, maybe 30/40% were wearing helmets. People typically didn't wear their helmets when posing for the Cookie Lady. Nobody really talked about helmets -- pro or con. People either wore them or didn't.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 21st 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/21/2017 2:12 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Something I find most people get discouraged from trying bicycling is simply the distances they'd have to ride to get to anywhere.

That, plus the fact that most people simply aren't interested. If you
gave them a perfect bike path directly from their front door to their
place of work or favorite store, and made it downhill both ways, they
still wouldn't do it.

Also, it's a lot harder to load a lot of groceries onto a bicycle than it is to put those groceries into a car.

We learned a neat trick at our grocery store. A couple years ago, our
store added some smaller grocery carts, much shorter than the full sized
ones. I took to calling them "sports carts."

Anyway, I've found that when the sports cart is filled completely full,
it's precisely the amount of goods we can carry home on our two bikes.

But yes, it is harder to load the stuff into the bike bags. Throwing the
grocery bags into the back of our car takes just 15 seconds or so.
Fitting them into bike bags takes up to 90 seconds.

BTW, I enjoy it when we get the occasional compliment about shopping by
bike. For example, last week someone said to my wife and me "You rode
your bikes to Target!! I love it! That is SO COOL!"

(I said "You can do this too!" but I doubt she will.)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Chain stretch - actual tech. James[_8_] Techniques 22 March 7th 13 01:34 PM
chain stretch question Mark Cleary[_2_] Techniques 16 November 16th 09 04:32 PM
Scary chain stretch Alan Braggins UK 1 December 17th 05 10:45 PM
Does chain stretch really exist? Ken Marcet Techniques 15 March 5th 05 10:15 PM
chain un-stretch? larry english Techniques 2 August 12th 03 06:41 PM