cutting new threads on hub

Old October 11th 03, 05:30 PM
U-Turn

Default cutting new threads on hub

I'm not a machinist (yet?), but if you wanted to use a die you'd have to
go too small, I think. Try using a triangular needle file to clean up
the existing threads. That's what I do with the threads on bolts that I
have shortened. If this works you're all set. It's a cheaper solution,
too.

--
U-Turn - Small fish, big pond

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old October 11th 03, 05:34 PM
U-Turn

Here's a pic.

| Attachment filename: cleaning up the threads (small).jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/166773|

Old October 11th 03, 06:52 PM
gerblefranklin

U-turn's right, they are called die(s). Don't buy one, as you'll also
need the specific tool meant to hold that specific die, and a die big
enough to cut those kinds of threads will be really expensive new. Just
go to a good machine shop and ask if they'll re-cut those threads for
you. That should be cheaper.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

Old October 11th 03, 09:09 PM
Sofa

thanks guys

--
Sofa - King of TUni

'You're perfect Sofa!' - Scott (via 'Michael Moore'
(http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html) parser )
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old October 13th 03, 10:58 AM
joemarshall

Out of interest are taps for drilling threads just as expensive, or are
they a cheaper thing than a die?

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old October 13th 03, 04:02 PM
brian.slater

U-Turn wrote:
*Try using a triangular needle file to clean up the existing threads.
That's what I do with the threads on bolts that I have shortened.*

There is a special file that is made to dress damaged threads, It has a
different number of threads per inch on each side with four sides and
some are different on each end for eight sets of threads per inch.

One of the reasons you use this file is that a triangular file has the
wrong angle for the threads. However, it's actually better to use a
flat file to dress the ends, the technique is different.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old October 13th 03, 04:43 PM
nickjb

joemarshall wrote:
*Out of interest are taps for drilling threads just as expensive, or
are they a cheaper thing than a die?

Joe *

Taps are more readily available and are usually a little cheaper than
dies. For tapping blind holes (rather than through holes) you will
ideally need a set of three taps with different profiles for each size
of hole.

Price is heavily dependant on quality and the cheap sets are rarely
worth the money. I tend to go for good quality used taps and dies (and
other tools) rather than cheap new ones.

Dies require an accurately sized shaft. This is hard to do without a
lathe. Taps requires an accurately sized hole, this can be done with a
good set of drills.

HTH
Nick

--
nickjb - one wheel short
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

Old October 13th 03, 10:48 PM
carjug

Show it to the boys in the local bike shop, they might have the
expensive thread cutter, I know the bike shop I worked at twenty years
ago had one. carjug

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

Old October 14th 03, 10:14 PM
U-Turn

brian.slater wrote:
*

There is a special file that is made to dress damaged threads, It has
a different number of threads per inch on each side with four sides
and some are different on each end for eight sets of threads per
inch.

One of the reasons you use this file is that a triangular file has the
wrong angle for the threads. *

It's called a Thread Restoring File and retails for about $16. You
should be able to order one through your LBS.

For dressing-up a "cheapo hub", a triangular needle file, or perhaps
another common needle file that has pointed edges and a lightly-curved
surface, should suffice. Many people have a needle file set at home.

Old October 15th 03, 04:37 PM
Beener

If you are trying to repair interior threads a tap IS what you need.
However, if the threads are completely torched you'll have to go to a
little thing they call the Heli-coil.

You can drill out the old threads and use the corresponding Heli-coil
tap to set up your new hole to accept a tiny coil of new threads that
you srew into place witha cool little tool.

Auto shops use these to REPLACE the threads on cylinderheads and main
bearing bolt holes. You don't have to go to a bigger bolt or pedal size
because your threads and the hole are restored to there original size. A
little loc-tite sets everything just fine.
Beener

--
Beener - oldschool onewheeler

If you swear, you'll catch no fish.