Trials & Freestyle

Old June 11th 04, 11:39 PM
PopeSamXVI

Default Trials & Freestyle

I can see why one couldn't do trials on a freestyle uni, but why could
one not do freestyle on a trials uni? Wouldn't it be a bit easier
because of the stronger parts? And the wheels come in the same size so
that's no different. I'm confused

--
PopeSamXVI - Resident Hogwasher/Hornswaggler

Karol Jozef Wojtyla Forever!

I really am the president of my own fan club. www.samhunterfanclub.tk
PopeSamXVI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6661

Old June 12th 04, 01:17 AM
darchibald

Not really sure either, but I know my trials uni is a lot heavier then
my old freestyle uni. I suggest (assuming you're in the market) if you
wanna do both go with a trials uni.

David

--
darchibald - Unofficial level 4.5

"Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
suicide mount.
darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

Old June 12th 04, 01:24 AM
PopeSamXVI

darchibald wrote:
*Not really sure either, but I know my trials uni is a lot heavier
then my old freestyle uni. I suggest (assuming you're in the market)
if you wanna do both go with a trials uni.

David *

I can't imagine the weight of the uni would have any effect on a lot of
freestyle skills, like one footed, seat out, etc, as you can do all
those things on a trials.

And yeah, I plan on getting a trials around the end of the summer.

Old June 12th 04, 01:59 AM
darchibald

It'll effect a uni-spin and a few other skills. Also general
maneuverability. Are you the guy who was talking about the colors of the
Torkers?

David

Old June 12th 04, 02:10 AM
john_childs

You can do freestyle skills on a trials unicycle, but it's not ideal and
there are some types of freestyle skills that are just not suited for a
trials unicycle. I don't like doing freestyle with my trials unicycle.

The cranks on a trials unicycle are longer than on a freestyle unicycle.
With a trials unicycle you'll end up hitting the cranks and pedals on
the ground a lot.

A trials unicycle is not indoor friendly. Freestyle is often done
indoors on gym floors and tile floors. An indoor friendly unicycle
needs plastic pedals, a non-marking tire, and bumpers and other
protections so that no metal parts can ever hit and damage the floor.
Trials tires are not non-marking. The tire will leave marks on the
floor. The long cranks mean that the pedals will hit the floor, and
even with plastic pedals the pedals can hit with enough force to leave a
mark on the floor.

Trials tires have more grip than freestyle tires so skills that involve
tight turns (like spins) or twisting (like horizontal idling) are more
difficult on a trials unicycle. Tight turns will wear down a trials
tire quickly. Twisting and scuffing moves will also wear down a trials
tire quickly.

Freestyle skills that work on a trials unicycle would be things that
involve jumping and uni spins. Uni spin variations are good. Hopping
on wheel variations are good. Skills when you stand or land on the
cranks are good. Wheel walking skills are somewhat good (I prefer wheel
walking on my freestyle rather than my trials).

Ideally you should get both a trials uni and a freestyle uni. Use each
one for what they're suited for.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old June 12th 04, 06:53 AM
PopeSamXVI

Awesome. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Unfortunately I now need more money. Digital video camera and 2
unicycles. I ought to choose just one hobby.

--
PopeSamXVI - Resident Hogwasher/Hornswaggler

Karol Jozef Wojtyla Forever!

I really am the president of my own fan club. www.samhunterfanclub.tk
PopeSamXVI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6661

The ultimate freestyle unicycle... andrew_carter Unicycling 31 November 12th 08 06:37 AM
Trials vs. Freestyle gpickett00 Unicycling 19 March 17th 04 08:00 AM
GB4 20 Inch Freestyle Mojoe Unicycling 3 December 7th 03 06:55 AM
Monty Trials uni and freestyle uni for sale. Erin Unicycling 6 October 15th 03 01:48 AM