Need 4 Speed (not the game)

Old April 21st 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cloakanddagger

Default Need 4 Speed (not the game)

I have a real need for speed. I currently have a 20" and it does not go
anywhere as fast as I would like. I want to get a faster one however I
am limited on budget ($200 or less preferred but am willing to spend up
to $300). Would it be better to buy a 29 inch and save on the money and
not worry about the extra mph or splurge a little and buy the 36er? The
biggest I have ridden is a 24" and that was only for about 200ft
however I did not have too much trouble ridding it and I think the only
reason I did was because the seat was raised higher then mine. So also
think of how ridable it would be when responding when responding.

--
cloakanddagger
Old April 21st 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

Save up and go for the 36er, its really very much worth it.

I went from a 24" to a 36er no problem. It may take some people a
little practice but anyone who can ride a smaller unicycle can learn to
ride a larger one.

--
Brian O.

*'ProjectUNI' (http://www.projectuni.com) - *The First Serious Unicycle
Computer Game* - -ProjectUNI update available 'here!'
(http://www.projectuni.com/?page_id=9)-* - Follow the 'progress.'
(http://www.projectuni.com)
Old April 21st 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

If you get a 36", you will fall in love with it almost immediately! Then
you'll wonder what you did without one for so long!

+1 for the 36. Hands down. If you can ride a small one, you can ride a
big one. It might take a few tries to get on the first time, but
there's no question that you'll ride it, and if you ride it, there's no
question you'll get good 'n comfortable on it and pine for more. IMHO

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work, work to eat, eat to live, live to uni.
Old April 21st 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

chuckaeronut wrote:
If you get a 36", you will fall in love with it almost immediately! Then
you'll wonder what you did without one for so long!

+1 for the 36. Hands down. If you can ride a small one, you can ride a
big one. It might take a few tries to get on the first time, but
there's no question that you'll ride it, and if you ride it, there's no
question you'll get good 'n comfortable on it and pine for more. IMHO

+1 on all that.

Hawo cloakanddagger, i recommend saving up for either a 'Nimbus 29er'
(http://tinyurl.com/3kexrw) or 'UDC coker' (http://tinyurl.com/2sfujz)
or the 'absolute monster coker ' (http://tinyurl.com/32ww68)(36") if
you want to attain some serious speed. Those links are from the
Australian UDC by the way. But if you do end up getting a 29er, it will
give some serious speed, just like the coker. Either way it's a win win
situation really.

--
Hazmat

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREEK
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WHO
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM.

dan de man wrote:
w/e if i wqas agirl id be going out with jerrick quick smart

'Can't wait till this game is finally released.'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcuZlRC3dYM)
Old April 21st 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cloakanddagger

I should add that the purpose is to be able to keep up with most/all
bikes.

--
cloakanddagger
Old April 21st 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Even a 36 will have real trouble keeping up with most bikes on normal
roads. We had five geared unis, including two geared 36" unicycles on
rolling terrain this weekend, and even the fastest among us were not
able to keep pace with reasonable bicyclists on flats and downhills.
The key to keeping up with bikes is to ride uphill.

But if that's the kind of speed you want, you definitely want the 36"
instead of the 29".

--
tholub
Old April 22nd 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
poofengle

chuckaeronut wrote:
If you get a 36", you will fall in love with it almost immediately! Then
you'll wonder what you did without one for so long!

+1

Go for the 36". The best feeling in the world is jumping on and
cruising around as fast as you can Its basically the same as a
smaller uni, but you can go TONS faster. Its really exciting when
you're pedaling as fast as possible down a hill or beating bikers going
uphill

--
poofengle

"Anything not worth doing is worth not doing well. Think about it."
Old April 22nd 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cloakanddagger

actually I did some tests today. I attached a little thing to the spoke
of my front bike tire and counted the revolutions (one revolution for
every time I here the thing hit the front fork). I timed it for a
minuet and then counted the revolutions of my uni for a 1 minute
period. Both times I rode at a decent comfortable speed. Needless to
say the bike was much faster but here are the results.

@=revolutions
132@ 26" wheel 838.495feet/min 9.5 MPH

96@ 20" wheel 502.655f/m 5.7 MPH

96@ 36" wheel 904.779f/m 10.3 MPH

96@ 29" wheel 728.849f/m 8.3 MPH

So basically what this means is that if peddle at the same speed as my
20" I will acctully be FASTER on a 36er. This is an assumption so if
anyone could spread some light on the issue that would be great.

--
cloakanddagger
Old April 22nd 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

cloakanddagger wrote:
I have a real need for speed. I currently have a 20" and it does not go
anywhere as fast as I would like. I want to get a faster one however I
am limited on budget ($200 or less preferred but am willing to spend up
to $300). Would it be better to buy a 29 inch and save on the money and
not worry about the extra mph or splurge a little and buy the 36er? The
biggest I have ridden is a 24" and that was only for about 200ft
however I did not have too much trouble ridding it and I think the only
reason I did was because the seat was raised higher then mine. So also
think of how ridable it would be when responding when responding.

Well not to thread jack, but I'm selling my brand new coker big one in
case you're interested. It's he
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69406

--
MuniAddict

I 3 FG and have Stewie Boxers
'My videos:' (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699)
Old April 22nd 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

cloakanddagger wrote:
I should add that the purpose is to be able to keep up with most/all
bikes.

The key to this is to ride with casual bicyclists who use
hybrids/comfort bikes, not bicycle enthusiasts on road bikes. I hate
going slow on my road bike(13-14mph is too slow) and I wouldn't want to
put my friends through that, but I have a few friends who find the pace
I keep on my 36er to be perfect for a nice ride on a comfort/hybrid
bike.

I can go faster than a lot of bikes on the cycle trails in the area
though when I am spinning fast on my 36 or riding my geared 29er, but
most of the bikes I pass are casual bicyclists. The road bikes go
zooming by. Being a distance unicyclist...it is nice that you go
slower than a bike because it means that your friends who don't ride
bikes/unicycles a lot can get on a bike and keep up with you for the
most part. I have to ride slower when riding with my dad or with some
of my friends, so it is usually me waiting up for them and not the
other way around.

In short, the only two options you really have for trying to keep up
with some bicycles is to get a 36 or a geared 29.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

New Game skrobo Unicycling 15 May 28th 06 04:19 PM
First Ever Game Of Uni!!!! unifreak7 Unicycling 22 August 28th 05 08:58 PM
My new uni game unikrl8 Unicycling 24 March 1st 05 03:06 PM
Cycling Game - Free Game For Cycling Fans! ]oxo[ Racing 2 December 28th 04 09:34 AM
Game Jimbo(san) Mountain Biking 1 November 13th 03 01:00 AM