Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

Old December 29th 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Longer run time for lights and need some ideas

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy
Old December 29th 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/29/2017 2:05 PM, Andy wrote:
I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mine are bolted on. I've never lost one yet.

But gazing at your photo, I'd think fear of electrocution would dissuade
most potential thieves!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 29th 17, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 1:12:54 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/29/2017 2:05 PM, Andy wrote:
I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mine are bolted on. I've never lost one yet.

But gazing at your photo, I'd think fear of electrocution would dissuade
most potential thieves!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Did you have to fabricate it or did the light come with it?

Andy
Old December 30th 17, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 11:05:50 AM UTC-8, Andy wrote:
I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy

800mAH would only be a AAA size.
Panasonic 3400, 2C, measure 35-3700, and cost ~$5 each from liion wholesale
https://liionwholesale.com/collectio...ant=1076987260

Harder to steal? Take it with you.

Overrated capacity claims keeps selling batteries and until the online sellers like Amazon and EBay crack down, the legitimate batteries will keep losing sales to the crooks.
Old December 30th 17, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 11:05:46 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy

Looks good, running both lights from one pack makes sense.

All rechargable tail lights have too-small batteries. It would be
great if someone made one that took a single 18650.

---

Old December 30th 17, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/29/2017 4:34 PM, Andy wrote:
On Friday, December 29, 2017 at 1:12:54 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/29/2017 2:05 PM, Andy wrote:
I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mine are bolted on. I've never lost one yet.

But gazing at your photo, I'd think fear of electrocution would dissuade
most potential thieves!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Did you have to fabricate it or did the light come with it?

These are dynamo powered lights, designed to bolt on. Most use stock
brackets, but for some of them I did fabricate brackets that better
suited my purposes. Still, most were not sophisticated or difficult. If
I wanted to bolt on a battery light, it wouldn't be tremendously difficult.

For me, a possible motivation would be to avoid clamping the light on my
handlebar. I use handlebar bags on most bikes, so lights on the bars
don't work well. Besides, I prefer the light distribution I get from a
lamp mounted just above the front wheel.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 30th 17, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

wrote:

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy

Looks good, running both lights from one pack makes sense.

All rechargable tail lights have too-small batteries. It would be
great if someone made one that took a single 18650.

---

Thanks.

Front head light has its own light pack consisting of 2 easily chargeable 18650s.

It isn't waterproof, so I will take it off at night.

Andy
Old December 31st 17, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

wrote:

I wa not real happy with run time with CygoLite-Hotshot-Pro-150-Lumens-LED.
(Even on blink mode)

It has a built in 800 mah LiIon battery.

Made an external battery pack using 18650s with a 5000 mah capacity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux5xmncsyl...ight.jpeg?dl=0

The UltraFire batts are overrated and I have much better ones.

But I want to use them up.

Next project is the make my lights harder to steal.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Andy

Looks good, running both lights from one pack makes sense.

All rechargable tail lights have too-small batteries. It would be
great if someone made one that took a single 18650.

---

Oculus 1800Ultra headlight takes a single 18650, or a single 26650. The light comes with one of each. 18650 is half the weight of the 26650, with 2/3 of the burn time.
Old January 1st 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

wrote:

[...]

$150 is more than I can budget. :-)

Andy
Old January 2nd 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The lowest end-user price is $125, for Pro-deal to sponsored teams, and if you're entered in an event Oculus supports, any RAAM connected or Planet Ultra event, and some 24 hour MTB races.