First Road Bike

Old August 14th 03, 11:15 AM
hippy

Default First Road Bike

"SlothOz" wrote in message
Hi all, I am just about to buy my first roadbike and am after
some advice.

My budget for the bike is about $2500 and after checking the local
stores and the 2 bikes around that price are the Raceline Ultra Comp or
the Orbea Dauphine. Any advice would be appreciated.

$2.5k is a lot of money to spend on your "first" road bike. Might it
be better to buy an entry level model or perhaps second-hand to
test the waters?
Do you know what size frame you need?
Have you ridden any/many other road bikes to get an idea of
which ones "fit" you?
If so, have you ridden the two you mention above, to see which
is the best?
It is very important to get the frame size correct, otherwise you
will be stuck with an uncomfortable ride and wont ride as much
as you could.
Sorry if this is obvious to you, I don't know your experience with
bikes. As for specific information on the two models mentioned
above, I'm afraid I can't help.
Find a good, friendly, helpful bike shop (very important!) and
ask them for advice. Perhaps speak to some other roadies in
your area to find a good shop.

hth
hippy

Old August 14th 03, 11:53 AM
hiltz1987

keep looking theres alot out there for $$2500

Old August 14th 03, 11:53 AM
hiltz1987

keep looking theres alot out there for $$2500

Old August 14th 03, 11:54 AM
NickZX6R

hippy wrote:
"SlothOz" wrote in message
[...]

what hippy said.

I reckon if you can afford $2.5K you should spend a little bit of that
to get fitted properly. I'm just into my fourth year on my first road bike
and the frame is a shade large for me. It's not terrible and I've done
around 16000kms on it but if I'd spent $2.5K on it and it didn't fit
properly I'd be a bit annoyed.

Second-hand is also a good idea, not necessarily because it's your first
road bike, but just because there are plenty of bargains and no doubt
people selling because they bought the wrong thing.

You'll find that bikes generally have bugger-all resale value compared
to what you paid new.

Good luck.

--
Nick