Cost of having a team in the TDF

Old August 6th 03, 05:21 PM
Stefan Drüke

Default Cost of having a team in the TDF

am 05.08.03 schrieb John:

Yep they sure did and look where it got them.

There was another problem with coast. The boss of the company coast wanted
to do everything himself, but had no experience in cycling and in the end
the team was destroyed.

But don't forget Once won't be there next year and some other sponsors
said that they won't engage in cycling sports anymore. If you wan't to set
up your own time, there is a good chande in 2004 :-)
Old August 7th 03, 04:45 AM
John Staines

Yeah Banesto are reportedly also calling it quits. It's worrying that so
many sponsors are deciding not to continue there connection with
cycling.

Stefan Dr=FCke wrote:
=

=

Old August 8th 03, 01:52 AM
John Staines

Yeah Gary....but all reports state that sponsorship is getting harder
and harder to find. I agree that other sponsors will be found but will
they be able to chip in with the big $$$ required?

Whats worrying for me is that alot of the sponsors that are pulling out
are the bigger names and who have been in cycling for extended amounts
of time.

Sport in general is suffering from the lack of sponsorship and this is
making compete for the few dollars out there.

Gary K wrote:

Sponsors quit every year, most of them plan for a fixed number of years
anyways. It was all doom and gloom when cyclings biggest sponsor, Mapei
called it quits last year. Others are always found or 2nd division teams
move up. No big deal. The peloton rolls on..

Old August 8th 03, 02:56 PM
Stefan Drüke

am 08.08.03 schrieb John:

Yeah Gary....but all reports state that sponsorship is getting harder
and harder to find. I agree that other sponsors will be found but will
they be able to chip in with the big $$$ required?

That's right. Bicanci is still looking for a second sponsor. For this year
the have enough Euros, but they are not sure what'll happen next years.

Sport in general is suffering from the lack of sponsorship and this is
making compete for the few dollars out there.

Most roadcycling races are in Europe and in that case, I think primarly
european companies schould be interested in sponsoring a cycling team.
Okay there is US Postal from USA.

Once and IBanesto won't be sponsors next year. That both were spanish
sponsor. There will be no big team from spain next year - it looks like
that at moment.

Old August 11th 03, 06:25 AM
John Staines

It's funny you should mention Bianchi because there have been some
reports that they are having some financial troubles. They have of
course denied it as Coast did countless times before. As they say "where
there's smoke there's fire".....Fingers crossed that this isn't the
case.

It's worrying when Once and iBanesto decide to leave
cycling....especially in the current climate but I thought Euskaltel
Euskadi were a Spanish Team, no? Sadly their promising cyclist Mayo
would seem to be heading for greener pastures.....Oh and there's
Kelme......I know they are considered a small budget team hence the
reason they struggle to keep hold of the talent they continuely find.

Cheers

John =

Stefan Dr=FCke wrote:
=