5 pallets, want higher

Old May 15th 05, 08:10 AM
caw89

I didnt think to put hte 2x4s on the bottom, big duh on my part. As for
the helmets, i just find them very uncomfortable,(sp?) I just dont like
em, they're big annoying and heavy. I usually wear a hat backwards cause
the bill has stoped me from hitin the back o my head many times, i only
hit the back...

--
caw89 - Cody

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

AIM: unicaw89
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

Old May 15th 05, 08:19 AM
gerblefranklin

General Dibbles wrote:
*ok, but the question wasn't ' how do i protect my head?' it was how
do i jump higher? *

I don't care. My statement stands.

"I didn't tuck much because, well, it's not that high."

I don't see why your lack of tuck on a small hop means you will tuck
better on a big hop. Anyone can not tuck on a small hop, very few can
tuck and land a big hop.

If it's not that high and you have it so well, there's no reason you
shouldn't have 27 or 30". Of course you weren't doing anything wrong,
you landed it! You are the best at analyzing your technique, and you
will know why you missed a hop before your pedal even hits the object.
If you land it, don't ask questions about things done wrong. Something
far more helpful is a video of a hop you missed completey or just
barely. Basically, you know you did everything perfectly when you land a
hop in a stillstand with about 1" of tire hanging off the ledge and the
tire hits your butt. Landing a a big hop in the way I described is
extremely difficult but easier on a trials uni. This is not something
achieved by asking others, rather you will get it by practice. If you
land in an inferior way, rather wasting time posting a video and
questions, think about what happened when you landed and how it would
feel to do it differently.

On top of all of this, though, I think a 24", precise, smoothe,
no-prehop hop is far more useful than a crappy 34" prehopped jump.
You'll encounter far more lines requiring 2' precise hops than gigantic
boring hops. For example, I *can* do 34", but on a ride I'm far more
likely to just use a pedalgrab and get to the more interesting parts of
the line. I rarely see an interesting line involving a 32" sidehop. My
point is maybe you might want to preactice some variations on the hop
you already have rather than just focusing on pure height.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Nick's main man.

"The genesis of genocide is like a Pagan religion; carefully hidden,
woven into the holidays of a Christian."-Immortal Technique

Old May 15th 05, 08:43 AM
caw89

I was lookin for advise on gettin higher, like if you could telll from
my hop why i cant get much higher, I like big hops cause you can get to
higher obstacles, you can crank climb higher things, yeah its not near
as important as say, just workin on lines, I just want to be able to
jump high, not sure why, just a good 7 pallets and im good.

Old May 15th 05, 11:58 PM
gerblefranklin

Yes, I *can* tell why you aren't getting much higher--You aren't
tucking. But you seem to think a justification will change the facts, so
whatever.

It's extremely rare to see people crank grabbing large ledges. Your time
would be well spent learning pedalgrabs.

I will assure you that you won't make 7 palletes within the next year if
you continue to advance in increments of 5". Once you get above 30", an
additional 2" increase in height becomes a big deal.

Old May 16th 05, 12:10 AM
MrBoogiejuice

caw89 wrote:
*
Edit: ohh yeah, and ive never really needed a helmet, ive been knocked
unconcius many times only one in which i was doin a sport(I was jumpin
my mountain bike, but i had a helmet, i wear one for jumps.) most my
concusions are stupid crap, my old kidapolt, fell outa a grocery cart
when my bro was playin with the handle, Wen my bro slmmed me on my
head for accedantally steeping on his cats tail, falling outa bed... *

May I nudge you towards a thread I just started "3 Cheers for Kris Holm
and Bell helmets"

Up until today I've never "needed a helmet" whilst unicycling. However
due to the fact that I was wearing a helmet I am here typing this
(Albeit one handed). Wear a helmet when unicycling.

--
MrBoogiejuice - Loyal subject of the crown

Make crumbs not War!
MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515

Old May 16th 05, 12:26 AM
U-Turn

Take a look at KH side-hopping up the wall in Unizaba. He's doing about
what you are. You can observe his body position and learn a lot from
that. They do it at full speed and also in slow motion.

Not the pyramid, but the one in town where they added some bricks at the
bottom so he could make the jump.

I think basically what you'll find is that you're not scrunching near
enough. You probably have the oomph for two more pallets, but you need
to end up with the wheel almost touching your butt when you land on the
top pallet.

However, look at the video, and come up with your own conclusions.

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old May 16th 05, 01:41 AM
unibrow

I can see why everyone gets cranky about ppl not wearing helmets. So he
doesnt want to wear a helmet big deal. If a really good unicyclist like
dan H. whipped out this crazy move, know one would say anything about a
helmet.

justin,

p.s. in U2 he rolling hops a stack of 7 pallets, why dont we bitch about
that rather then picking on this poor kid? huh?.........huh!

p.s.s sorry not to hack on dan, i only wear helmets when goin huge.

nice side hop

--
unibrow

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind....
unibrow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2496

Old May 16th 05, 02:32 AM
Ken Cline

"caw89" writes:

As for the helmets, i just find them very uncomfortable,(sp?) I just
dont like em, they're big annoying and heavy.

I'm not going to tell you that you have to wear a helmet, but I think
the reason you give is bogus.

Once you get used to riding with one, a properly fitted helmet is
barely noticeable. My favorite evidenve for this is the day I turned
around a few blocks from home to get the helmet I thought I had
forgotten. Guess what? I was actually wearing it.

Ken
Old May 16th 05, 04:09 AM
James_Potter

unibrow wrote:
*p.s. in U2 he rolling hops a stack of 7 pallets, why dont we bitch
about that rather then picking on this poor kid? huh?.........huh!
p.s.s sorry not to hack on dan, i only wear helmets when goin huge.
*

I've bitched plenty about the helmetless riders in the UNiVERsE
movies....

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old May 16th 05, 05:53 AM
caw89

I wear a helmet only when goin big like unibrow said, perhaps my helmet
doesnt fit very ewll or somthing (walmart helm) maybe il get a mullet
helmet form 661. Il have ot watch that Kh mocie again tonight, my pedal
grabs are fine, I do them all the time, but the objects i want to do are
a lil high, just outa my padal grab reach(walls fences etc.) and am
workin on jumpin higher to get higher pedal grabs also. 30" would be
great all i need. thanks for hte help and ill just keep practicin and
try to tuck the tire more. Il try to wear a helmit a lil more if it
pleasin ya, although i reall some clips w/ gerble in it where hes doin
some rail grinds with no helmet

--
caw89 - Cody

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

AIM: unicaw89
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

Training for higher cadence Sheldon Brown Techniques 76 August 16th 04 10:10 PM
Calorie Estimates.... LaoFuZhi UK 59 July 26th 04 07:17 PM
Advantages of Higher and Lower Gears? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 21 April 3rd 04 06:13 AM
Higher cadence? joona Unicycling 20 December 2nd 03 11:03 AM
Where could I find Pallets? sabin_a. Unicycling 9 November 3rd 03 09:04 PM