Taking your Unicycle with you - air travel

Old August 18th 05, 09:07 AM
stevenbrandist

Default Taking your Unicycle with you - air travel

Question: Whats the best way to take your Unicycle with you when
travelling by air?

I've taken my Nimbus 24" to Spain a couple of times now (I have to work
in other countries - normally within Europe - for a few weeks at a
time), I dis-assembled it and it just fitted in my large Samsonite
suitcase.

It has survived both times perfectly, but you can't put that much else
in the suitcase before getting to the 20kg weight limit... and budget
airlines charge a lot for excess baggage.

Does anyone have any experience taking a Uni as 'Sporting Equipment'.
One budget airline will accept this kind of luggage for £10 per way
which sounds a bargain, but officially the item travels as 'standby', is
subject to hold space and of course the terrors of the baggage
handlers.

Steven

--
stevenbrandist - Just trying to get better
stevenbrandist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9476

Old August 18th 05, 11:51 AM
cathwood

Hi Steve,
There's another thread going around in relation to taking your uni
travelling. I think it's my thread about camping.
I'm taking my 20" to Turkey next week. I'm afraid it's going to have to
go in my suitcase and sod my clothes!
(Actually I bought a new case so that I can fit it in, we don't usually
have a problem with excess bagage, but I guess the 24" is significantly
heavier. ..... I know, buy a 20" for use when travelling!)
Anyhow, I hope you are well and enjoy your travelling.
cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old August 18th 05, 12:14 PM
paul royle

When I took my 20 to Germany last year I just took the pedals off and
checked it in as baggage without wrapping it in anything. It was
included in my luggage allowance. You get a few raised eyebrows, but no
one seemed too bothered by it. I was flying BA though, budget airlines
might be more fussy.

Paul

--
paul royle - gravitationally challenged
paul royle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5572

Old August 18th 05, 12:49 PM
munidobs

I have taken uni's across the "pond" a couple of times:

1 - to Seattle/Unicon 2002, Coker and 24" muni with pedals and saddles
removed, tyres deflated, strapped and locked together but with no other
outside packaging. The airline were happy to take it as part of
standard luggage but due to the size of the Coker it was handled as
oversize. There was a a changeover in Copenhagen both outbound and
return.

Outbound, no problems. Return, the frame on the Coker was dented and
bent :-( but still rideable.

2 - to Calgary 2003 and Vancouver 2004, 24" muni with frame, saddle,
pedals removed and all placed in a wheel transporting bag. Again this
had to go oversize but with no problems at either check-in, retrieval or
any damage during the handling process.

Being long-haul flights, I had no problems with weight. But I travel
light anyway and would probably got away with taking the 24" muni on
budget flight.

My advice would be to purchase a cycle-wheel bag, available from some
b*ke shops or on the www These bags can come with separate sections for
each b*ke wheel, so if you do travel light and with some clever packing,
you could possibly get away with just taking the wheel-bag containing
your other stuff as well.

Happy Uni'Travelling.

Chris

--
munidobs - Level - probably not !

"We have a firm commitment to Nato; we are a part of Nato. We have a
firm commitment to Europe. We are part of Europe." George Dubya
munidobs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8790

Old August 18th 05, 12:52 PM
lleberg

I flew stand-by with my saddel, pedals and frame in my bag, and the
wheel with cranks as it was, they didn't complain a bit.

Actually, the security guys were very friendly trying to figure out what
it was..
They wanted to have a loog at my 15mm wrench and my 6mm key to the seat
clamp, but no worrys

Maby not a very good way to take it.. but i didn't have much off a
choice!

--
lleberg - Can you ride that.. thing?

I 3 my unicycle!
lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

Old August 18th 05, 01:02 PM
unicus

munidobs wrote:
*My advice would be to purchase a cycle-wheel bag, available from some
b*ke shops or on the www These bags can come with separate sections
for each b*ke wheel, so if you do travel light and with some clever
packing, you could possibly get away with just taking the wheel-bag
containing your other stuff as well.*

Even 'Argos' (http://tinyurl.com/dhkj5) sell them now though typically
(for Argos) they don't give much info so I'm not sure what size they
are.

--
unicus - I need to change this

'Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Photos-from-unicus)
'Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/unicus)
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

Old August 18th 05, 03:23 PM
johnfoss

Use the search to find highly detailed instructions on how I pack my
unicycles. For flying in and around the U.S., remember not to have any
tools or pedals in your carry-on bags.

Some airlines will see a "bicycle" wheel and want to charge you a bike
fee. Which, if they do, comes along with a waiver of liability, which
basically says that even though you're paying extra, we accept no
responsibility for what happens to that piece of luggage.

For this reason, I prefer to put my unicycles in luggage that looks like
luggage. The hard part is finding the luggage, but I have my source. For
normal suitases, a 20" wheel is usuallly all you can fit. A 24" wheel
will only fit in the largest of suitcases, and you'll be amazed how much
space it takes up in there.

So I use these cheap Asian bags that have a flat bottom with wheels on
it, and soft, extendable sides that allow the bag to be pretty tall when
fully extended. Normally I only have to unzip one of the two extensions.
I flew to NAUCC in July with a 29er, my 20" Freestyle, and a little 12"
uni, all in the one bag. Plus my tools, shoes, safety gear, and a few
other things. Unfortunately the bag was overweight...

In that past, U.S. carriers were less concerned about weight. Now most
have a 50 lb (prox. 25kg) limit per bag. We have learned to weigh all
bags *before* going to the airport, so we can re-arrange stuff without
stress. The easiest way to do this is to just stand on the scale holding
the bag, and then subtract your own weight.

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old August 18th 05, 11:11 PM
mgrant

I've flown several times with my summit 20".

I simply rode it to the gate and they checked it at the gate. This has
never failed for me yet but I've always tried to have a backup plan just
in case.

Once, in the SLC airport I was told by airport security that I could not
take it through the security checkpoint without a permit. I went back
to the ticket counter where a ticket agent granted me the permit and I
was able to ride it through the airport.

It still makes me smile when I recall what he put in the "reason"
section:

"Passenger has special needs."

-mg

--
mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

Old August 19th 05, 12:17 AM
peter.bier

Be careful what you say when checking in. Many air lines have a large
fee for transporting bicycles. (Eg $100). If you mention the word
unicycle when asked whats in a box they hear the cycle bit and wack on
the fee, even though your uni may be packaged up nice and small.

When I fly internationally with unicycles I tend to pack them in a cut
down bike box. Your local cycle shop will probably be happy to give you
a cardboard bike box (most bicycles are shipped in large cardboard boxes
so they usually have a few lying around). With a few minutes work you
can cut the box down to the right size to snugly fit two decent sized
unicycles.

The advantages of a customized cardboard box a
-they are easier to get hold of than a large piece of luggage
-they cost nothing
-they are fairly light
-you aren't too concerned if the box gets damaged as it is easy to
replace.
-you can make the box as small as possible to fit your uni to avoid
oversize luggage fees.

The disadvantage is airlines tend to question anything packed in a
cardboard box. The answer to the question "what's in the box?" should
never mention the word cycle.

The safe answer is "circus equipment". Also make sure you colour over
or otherwise conceal anything that hints of the word cycle on your
cardboard box.

When packing a uni into a box I usually just whip off the pedals and
seat. I smaller box can be used if you also take off the frame. Never
remove the cranks as they help prevent your axle putting a hole in a bag
or box.

--
peter.bier - Posting since 97

-Peter Bier

peter.bier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1506

Old August 19th 05, 12:53 AM
critter

I found the largest canvess bag at the swap meet.I can fit everything in
there. Take off the seat is a must. Don't have to take the pedels off
but I do.I just pad the uni in the middle with all my safety gear and
stuff. It is a MUni -- I'm more rough on it then the airline crew.

--
critter - SINGLE TRACK MIND
critter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8739

Unicycle Song dogbowl Unicycling 18 November 2nd 06 12:57 PM
Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...) JJuggle Unicycling 0 July 28th 05 04:23 PM
Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...) JJuggle Unicycling 0 July 21st 05 03:54 PM
300 foot Unicycle MERCYME Unicycling 31 April 25th 05 01:32 AM