POW! (my first Coker tire blowup)

Old August 19th 05, 05:57 PM
caw89

Default POW! (my first Coker tire blowup)

Ive never had one completely blow, i get a phewwwww a lot and flat in
seconds, but never a blow, my 18in blew on my brother once because the
tire wore through, but thats about it.......how do you manage to blow
out a tire on a uni though....

--
caw89 - Cody

'Cody's Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Codys-Gallery)

'sixsixone' (http://sixsixone.com/)

AIM: unicaw89
caw89's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8228

Old August 19th 05, 06:36 PM
Brian MacKenzie

caw89 wrote:
*how do you manage to blow out a tire on a uni though.... *

Because he tried to stretch a tiny tube around a big wheel

--
Brian MacKenzie - Infection is your finest flower

'TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!'
(HTTP://WWW.LBMMULTIMEDIA.COM)

'ps. just watched TWNR, the UW36 on the stairs broke my brain' - markf

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*122* reviews on *79* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old August 19th 05, 07:37 PM
caw89

Haha, ok, i was more refering to the others that have also...is it only
from overinflating or are tubes poping for other reasons, like why are
they going boom, instead of phew.....

Old August 19th 05, 07:43 PM
Brian MacKenzie

I was pumping up a bike tube. In the basement, bike on a workstand.

Nothing out of the ordinary, new tube, old tire and rim, but no harm
done, (passed the dragging fingers along surface to find points test)

and it just exploded as described (with the added ear pain of being in a
small closed room)

It's also happened on a bad landing on a bike, front tire exploded, and
sent me crashing down.

I think it 'just happens' sometimes.

Old August 20th 05, 12:06 AM
john_childs

Blowouts that go POW! are caused by the tire bead lifting or slipping
out of the rim and allowing the tube to very rapidly attempt to escape
from a small confined opening between the rim and the bead of the tire.
The tube can't do that and bursts rapidly and loudly.

On a standard Coker rim the tire can fairly easily slip off the rim if
it is not evenly seated all the way around. The Airfoil rim is a much
tighter fit and makes it more difficult for the bead to completely pop
off the rim.

When installing the tire it is important to make sure the bead is set
evenly all the way around the rim otherwise you do risk a blowout.

Another cause is getting a fold of tube between the tire bead and the
rim while the tire is being installed. When you pump it up it will
force the tire bead to slip out of the rim and then POW!

Using a high volume high pressure air compressor pump (like at a service
station) is also a good way to get way too much pressure in the tire and
blow it right off the rim. Bike shops that use an air compressor have a
special regulator to control the pressure and air volume. It is not a
good idea to use a service station air pump to inflate a bicycle or
unicycle tire.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old August 20th 05, 12:45 AM
unicus

On a Muni ride a couple of years ago leow was using a light weight latex
inner tube that went off like a shotgun while hopping, the tear in the
tube was quite impressive.

Actually I haven’t had a puncture on a unicycle yet, I must be lucky (I
shouldn’t have said that should I, doh!).

--
unicus - I need to change this

'Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Photos-from-unicus)
'Videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/unicus)
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

Old August 20th 05, 12:58 AM
john_childs

If the tube makes a loud POW then the 'tube exploded outside of the
tire' (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tube-failure.html). You won't
get a loud POW from a normal flat or from a flat where the tube stays
inside the tire.

Old August 20th 05, 06:01 AM
Naomi

"leadpan" m wrote in
message yclist.com...

Guess it was bound to happen. I over inflated my tire because the gas
station's gauge did not work, so I had to guess. Then as I started to
ride off few feet...

PPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!! X 100

It's a REALLY impressive noise when one blows in the confines of a
Gymnasium.

Nao

Old August 20th 05, 08:11 AM
Mikefule

Naomi wrote:
*
It's a REALLY impressive noise when one blows in the confines of a
Gymnasium.*

Yes, I'm a vegetarian too.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

http://www.dolphin-morris.co.uk/