Ashtabula crank chainring swap

Old October 16th 12, 10:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earls61

Default Ashtabula crank chainring swap

I need to swap out a chainring on an old Schwinn cruiser. How are these chainrings removed? Will a Wald replacement chainring work? I cant figure out how its mounted. This is a late 60's vintage Schwinn Breeze. I'm thinking this is cheaper that replacing the Sturmey Archer Cog with a larger one and buying a new chain as well. Thank you, in advance.
Old October 16th 12, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:28:57 AM UTC-4, Earls61 wrote:
I need to swap out a chainring on an old Schwinn cruiser. How are these chainrings removed? Will a Wald replacement chainring work? I cant figure out how its mounted. This is a late 60's vintage Schwinn Breeze. I'm thinking this is cheaper that replacing the Sturmey Archer Cog with a larger one and buying a new chain as well. Thank you, in advance.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

http://bayareaschwinn.com/how-to/cha...epair-pg78.htm
Old October 16th 12, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

AHHHHH an expert !

http://greenephantom.com/repair__modification_basics

Old October 16th 12, 03:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 16, 5:28*am, Earls61 wrote:
I need to swap out a chainring on an old Schwinn cruiser. How are these chainrings removed? Will a Wald replacement chainring work? I cant figure out how its mounted. This is a late 60's vintage Schwinn Breeze. I'm thinking this is cheaper that replacing the Sturmey Archer Cog with a larger one and buying a new chain as well. Thank you, in advance.

===================================

Most of my experience with this is about 50 years old, but:

Take off the left pedal. (It's got left hand threads.)
Take out any lock rings, bearing races, bearings etc. at the left side
of the bottom bracket. Also remove the chain.
Slide the entire crankset out from the right side.
Unscrew the right bearing race. It holds the chainring onto the
crank.
Pull the chainring off the crank and the crank's peg. Replace with a
new chainring. AFAIK, all the generic ones fit.
Reassemble.
Remove enough chain links for proper chain length.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 16th 12, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/16/2012 4:28 AM, Earls61 wrote:
I need to swap out a chainring on an old Schwinn cruiser. How are these chainrings removed? Will a Wald replacement chainring work? I cant figure out how its mounted. This is a late 60's vintage Schwinn Breeze. I'm thinking this is cheaper that replacing the Sturmey Archer Cog with a larger one and buying a new chain as well. Thank you, in advance.

Remove crank from bicycle.
Hold right side in a vise, cone up:
http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/2011_04...040_blowup.jpg

Unscrew cone, remove chainring, install new, tighten cone.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 17th 12, 10:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earls61

Got it, many thanks to all who replied