Ikea Bicycles

Old April 19th 16, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Ikea Bicycles

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ikea-to-sell-bikes-in-the-uk/019410

Not much of a deal. I wonder if it is sold in 1000 pieces that need to
be assembled by the purchaser with an Allen wrench and a spoke wrench.
Old April 19th 16, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Earls61

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 8:25:47 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ikea-to-sell-bikes-in-the-uk/019410

Not much of a deal. I wonder if it is sold in 1000 pieces that need to
be assembled by the purchaser with an Allen wrench and a spoke wrench.

not this one...
http://bikeportland.org/2010/12/07/s...mployees-44155

This one perhaps?
http://www.curbed.com/2016/4/13/1142...bicycle-sladda

well dang
Old April 19th 16, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 19/04/16 02:25, sms wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ikea-to-sell-bikes-in-the-uk/019410

Not much of a deal. I wonder if it is sold in 1000 pieces that need to
be assembled by the purchaser with an Allen wrench and a spoke wrench.

Coaster Brake ALARM

I *hate* those things.
Old April 19th 16, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/18/2016 8:51 PM, Earls61 wrote:
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 8:25:47 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ikea-to-sell-bikes-in-the-uk/019410

Not much of a deal. I wonder if it is sold in 1000 pieces that need to
be assembled by the purchaser with an Allen wrench and a spoke wrench.

not this one...
http://bikeportland.org/2010/12/07/s...mployees-44155

This one perhaps?
http://www.curbed.com/2016/4/13/1142...bicycle-sladda

well dang

Yes, that's the one.

I don't know how much "Town Bikes" cost in the Europe, but at a starting
price of €699 that seems high. That price does not appear to include the
front Porteur rack or the rear rack, which would likely add another €100.

In the U.S. there's a dearth of "town bikes" outside of very low -end
department store models, so maybe there is a market for those that don't
want to go to a place like Bikes Direct. Trek sold one town bike for a
while, the Trek Belleville, and dropped it. Specialized had the "Globe"
and dropped the line. Breezer still has some. You can roll your own town
bike, but that gets expensive when you're purchasing all the bits and
pieces at full retail, and the chain guard can be a difficult thing to
do on your own.

Bikesdirect sells a 700C, 8 speed Nexus-equipped, model for $499, and
that includes front and rear racks, fenders, chain guard, even a cup
holder and a bell. But not a disc front disc brake like the Ikea Sladda.

Breezer has their Nexus 8 speed Uptown for $749 and the Downtown for
$579. In my county these are sold only at the two Perfomance Bike
locations, though in San Francisco five local bike shops also carry them.

Old April 19th 16, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/19/2016 1:18 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 19/04/16 02:25, sms wrote:
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ikea-to-sell-bikes-in-the-uk/019410

Not much of a deal. I wonder if it is sold in 1000 pieces that need to
be assembled by the purchaser with an Allen wrench and a spoke wrench.

Coaster Brake ALARM

I *hate* those things.

They are usually crappy.

But thinking about Sir's post about trail riders and disconnected
V-brakes: Those of us who are mechanically competent forget that
there's a huge portion of the population (at least in the U.S.) that
can't manage to care for hand brakes of any kind. (After all, there are
few mechanisms much simpler than a V-brake.) And lots and lots of
people ride bikes almost exclusively on dead-flat trails or cruising
around flat beach towns, where braking needs are minor. So it seems
like there's a place for a super-simple brake of some kind.

My (modern) experience is very limited, but ISTM the main trouble with
coaster brakes is their nearly binary response. There's barely any
space between "off" and "skidding." And if one does have to use one for
a long descent, response can get trickier still, and fade can be a problem.

Are there models of coaster brakes that are fairly decent? Or is there
some sort of self-contained, backpedal brake mechanism that has good
modulation and more thermal capacity?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 19th 16, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"sms" wrote in message
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ikea-to-sell-bikes-in-the-uk/019410

Not much of a deal. I wonder if it is sold in 1000 pieces that need to be
assembled by the purchaser with an Allen wrench and a spoke wrench.

Assembling a bicycle from the frame up is one thing - building and truing
the wheels is a whole 'nother matter.

The average consumer might struggle with assembling bottom bracket and
steering head bearings, but the rest ought to be little more challenging
than some of the bigger flatpack furniture.

Most things are pretty obvious where they fit, the various cables would need
to be labelled. Final fitment would only be a little more complex than
routine maintenance thereafter.

But judging from some of the replies I got to my V-brake question - I think
some here would struggle.

Old April 19th 16, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://goo.gl/22v3uS
Old April 19th 16, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://goo.gl/i3qFFK
Old April 19th 16, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 5:07:41 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
"sms" wrote in message
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ikea-to-sell-bikes-in-the-uk/019410

Not much of a deal. I wonder if it is sold in 1000 pieces that need to be
assembled by the purchaser with an Allen wrench and a spoke wrench.

Assembling a bicycle from the frame up is one thing - building and truing
the wheels is a whole 'nother matter.

The average consumer might struggle with assembling bottom bracket and
steering head bearings, but the rest ought to be little more challenging
than some of the bigger flatpack furniture.

Most things are pretty obvious where they fit, the various cables would need
to be labelled. Final fitment would only be a little more complex than
routine maintenance thereafter.

But judging from some of the replies I got to my V-brake question - I think
some here would struggle.

Gotta remember that some can't even set up a V-brake without destroying it. VBEG LOL

cheers
Old April 20th 16, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 19/04/16 02:25, sms wrote:
[...]

Having been "brought up" on Coaster Brakes I would have to argue. They
worked far better then any available alternate at the time and I'm not
sure that they weren't superior to the "rod brakes" on my "Japanese
bicycle", with their skimpy little brake pads.

Are there models of coaster brakes that are fairly decent? Or is there
some sort of self-contained, backpedal brake mechanism that has good
modulation and more thermal capacity?

Well, I suspect that, compared with the Inimitable Ian coaster brakes
were/are a very superior product. After all, they usually work :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.

Ikea folders naked_draughtsman UK 10 July 30th 07 07:11 AM
Folding Bikes (IKEA?) graydoe UK 2 May 13th 07 09:49 PM
Ikea Christmas presents John Wilton UK 4 December 16th 06 11:21 AM
Coffee at IKEA MSeries UK 16 July 17th 06 10:18 PM
Lincoln to Nottingham IKEA, or, The Devil's Day Ride David Nutter UK 6 July 28th 04 09:52 AM