Quill stem recommendation

Old May 16th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Quill stem recommendation

Hi. I am looking for a quill stem recommendation or two. My current
Zoom (Nashbar purchased) stem is not as stiff as the no-name, OEM stem
it replaced. I really notice quite a bit of flex when doing some steep
climbs.

Here's my wish list (for a 1 inch steer tube):
- 110 mm
- No rise/level profile
- Open face plate or equivalent for easy installation

I know the choice of quill stems are hard to come by these days and that
is why I am asking here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Incidentally, I replaced the original stem after 7 years and many miles
of riding as a precautionary measure. I really like that beefy aluminum
stem - maybe I am being too conservative swapping it out?!?
Old May 16th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sir, It's Just Me wrote:
Hi. I am looking for a quill stem recommendation or two. My current
Zoom (Nashbar purchased) stem is not as stiff as the no-name, OEM stem
it replaced. I really notice quite a bit of flex when doing some steep
climbs.

Here's my wish list (for a 1 inch steer tube):
- 110 mm
- No rise/level profile
- Open face plate or equivalent for easy installation

Profile H2O...all that you list as requirements-$40

Old May 16th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='1174-10'

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old May 16th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sir, It's Just Me wrote:
Hi. I am looking for a quill stem recommendation or two. My current
Zoom (Nashbar purchased) stem is not as stiff as the no-name, OEM stem
it replaced. I really notice quite a bit of flex when doing some steep
climbs.

Here's my wish list (for a 1 inch steer tube):
- 110 mm
- No rise/level profile
- Open face plate or equivalent for easy installation

I know the choice of quill stems are hard to come by these days and that
is why I am asking here. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Incidentally, I replaced the original stem after 7 years and many miles
of riding as a precautionary measure. I really like that beefy aluminum
stem - maybe I am being too conservative swapping it out?!?

Is this the Zoom stem you bought?:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=119&subcategory=1185&brand=&s ku=3499

I have these on a couple of bikes, in the max (130mm) size, fully
extended, and I don't notice any flex. I'm also 230lb and use 46cm bars.

I'm hard on stems, I broke a forged Nitto stem. The Zoom stems seemed
stiffer, it's hard to imagine how they could be more beefy.
Old May 16th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

find yourself a steel Salsa quill stem. They're incredibly strong.

Old May 16th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Cole wrote:

Is this the Zoom stem you bought?:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=119&subcategory=1185&brand=&s ku=3499

I have these on a couple of bikes, in the max (130mm) size, fully
extended, and I don't notice any flex. I'm also 230lb and use 46cm bars.

I'm hard on stems, I broke a forged Nitto stem. The Zoom stems seemed
stiffer, it's hard to imagine how they could be more beefy.

Yes, indeed we are talking about the same Zoom stem.

Your comments are quite interesting in light of my personal experience.
I'm only 155 lbs and use the 110mm stem with it very conservatively
extended.

This stem has a very similiar design/profile as the stem originally on
my bike. I do notice the Zoom stem is lighter. I think that is due,
in part to a couple of observations like a shorter neck (vertical
height) and it has a hollowed out section located where the back of the
handlebars meet the stem.

I've read some on-line reviews on the Profile H20 stem and the reviews
are mixed about its stiffness. This includes a 2001 bicycling review
and roadbikereview.com as a couple of sources.

Between the old and new stem, I've had the same fork, frame and wheel
and the same model handlebars (beefy Profile Design hammers; replaced a
couple of times due to crashes or for safekeeping).

Confusing things more a bit, between these two stems, the OEM and the
Zoom, I did have another Zoom stem on the bike, last year. Same model,
just a 100 mm. For $40 (2x20), I figure I'd experiment with my bike fit.

Long story short, I hated the fit and ride characterstics using the
shorter stem and ended up swapping out the Zoom 100 for the Zoom 110.
While I had the Zoom 100 on the bike, I did not notice it to be flexy.
Maybe I was too occupied with the poor fit to notice if it really was flexy.

Perhaps I need to loosen one of the Zoom's bolts and tighten the other
more. Yeah I know..grasping at straws...I read such advice about the
Deda or Profile stem on roadbikereivew.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
Old May 16th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John Everett wrote:
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='1174-10'

Bookmarked! Thanks!
Old May 16th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Profile makes the big welded aluminum stems. I know Yellow Jersey in
Madison has shown pictures of the numerous Profile stems they have. I
suspect any and all bike shops can get them. Check out Salsa to see if
they still make their welded steel stems with open faces.

I've read mixed reviews in terms of them being stiff enough.
Looks-wise, it is the same design/profile as the Zoom stem and my OEM stem.

Or you can create your own quill stem by buying the quill adaptor thing
from Nashbar or others and puttin on any threadless stem you want.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Since my fork is 8 years old and has about 50,000 miles, I wonder if it
is time to replace it. If so, I'd go with a 100% threadless setup.

Is this silly? It's quite a beefy GT Edge carbon fork w/ a steel
steerer. I'd rather replace bike parts then body parts.

Thanks.
Old May 17th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:09:15 -0400, Peter Cole wrote:

Is this the Zoom stem you bought?:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=119&subcategory=1185&brand=&s ku=3499

I have these on a couple of bikes, in the max (130mm) size, fully
extended, and I don't notice any flex. I'm also 230lb and use 46cm bars.

I have a couple of these, too, and have not noticed any flex.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The motor car reflects our standard of living and gauges the
_`\(,_ | speed of our present life. It long ago ran down Simple Living,
(_)/ (_) | and never halted to inquire about the prostrate figure which
fell as its victim. -- Warren G. Harding

Old May 17th 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sir, It's Just Me wrote:
Since my fork is 8 years old and has about 50,000 miles, I wonder if it
is time to replace it. If so, I'd go with a 100% threadless setup.

Is this silly? It's quite a beefy GT Edge carbon fork w/ a steel
steerer. I'd rather replace bike parts then body parts.

Cinelli Frog is one quill option that is nice and meets your
specifications, if you can still get one - have a look on Ebay for what
you might find. But you are on the right track thinking about a new
fork some time. You can either jump into that in one go if you have the
funds, or get the quill adapter and a stem for ahead-set, as an interim
step.

Donga