cadence on cycle-computer reading wrong....

Old February 23rd 04, 06:58 AM
Yuri Budilov

Default cadence on cycle-computer reading wrong....

Hi all

I have a ~6 weeks old ECHO-F2 cycle-computer, the one with cadence on my
Trek 1000 road bike (2004).
It was working fine for 5 weeks and several hundred miles.....
All of a sudden last week the cadence function has gone off-this-planet. The
other functions seem to still work fine.

The cadence appears to be reading double. I.e if I feel like I am doing
~80rpm it shows me ~160rpm. When I feel like I am doing ~100 rpm it shows
near zero cadence (I presume it tops out cadence at 200 rpm?).....

Any thoughts what it may be? Perhaps there are some known issues with this
computer or with cadence function in general that I can tell my bicycle shop
which sold and installed it? They lubricated the contacts but it did not
help.

To make it worse - at lower cadence it seems to be reading correctly most of
the time (all of the time?) i.e. at 20-30-40 rpm seems fine, once I climb
into 70+ it seems to go all weird on me.

It is not a wireless computer, as far as I can tell, it is rather
inexpensive one....

thanks in advance!
--
Yuri

Old February 23rd 04, 08:13 PM
TonV

Suppose the sensor is a reed-relais that's bounces when the cadence magnet
is passing a lilte bit too fast.
Instead of giving a one shot pulse there are 2 of more pulses.
You may try an other magnet or change its position first (not only closer
but also turn around and try lower of higher position.
Maybe you can change the position ot the reed relais by turning the sensor
180 degrees.

Ton

Old February 25th 04, 05:02 AM
Yuri Budilov

thanks

I moved the magnet just a few mm sideways away from the main sensor and it
seems to have cured the problem.....