Bike repairs after RTA.

Old April 4th 09, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JT

Default Bike repairs after RTA.

I suffered an accident earlier this month, and I wanted some advice on
the bike.

Its a Cannondale Caad 9 Tiagra Compact '09 which has Cannondale Ultra
Carbon forks.

The driver pulled out in front of me which resulted in me T-boning the
side of his car, I don't know how my bike hit it or where it landed as
I ended up in an ambulance. However after looking at my bike I can see
that my right drop seems to be bent inwards so I'm presuming I tried
to swerve (and failed). I know I did an almighty flip and I imagine
the bike did the same as I was strapped in.

I have checked my user manual and it states that my bike is not
designed or impact and is likely to extreme component failure upon
impact or words to that effect.

Just wanting advice, I will be claiming for repairs anyways. Is it
safe to get the handlebars replaced or am I risking 'frame
fractures'?

(sorry if I posted this twice, accidentally published my full email
before)
Old April 6th 09, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe[_3_]

JT wrote:
[...]

As other's said, you need a bike shop to say what is wrong with the bike,
then claim it from the insurance company. Solicitor might be useful, depends
on the insurance company at the other end. If you had any injuries (trip to
hospital implies there were), then solicitor becomes almost essential.

As its got carbon forks, the makers will say they need replacing after a
head-on impact. In almost all cases its cheaper to replace than x-ray to
check for cracks. I'd also be worried about the head-tube and where the
frame tubes meet the head tube, so the frame is suspect. At which point it
becomes questionable as to whether a new bike is cheaper than a new frame
and swap all the undamaged stuff over (labour costs for the rebuild...).

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old April 6th 09, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JT

On Apr 6, 10:01*am, "Nigel Cliffe" wrote:
JT wrote:
[...]

Thankyou Nigel!
I'm taking it up this week, see what they say & I will explain that
it's and insurance claim. I am in the process of dealing with a
soliciter and will post back the progress for anyone intrested over
the next few weeks!

I've had it out just before and after looking at it it seems that the
shifters have taken the impact and bent around underneath the
wrapping. Who's on bets that they'll re-wrap and straighten them out.
Old April 6th 09, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting JT :
I suffered an accident earlier this month, and I wanted some advice on
the bike.
Its a Cannondale Caad 9 Tiagra Compact '09 which has Cannondale Ultra
Carbon forks.

Two in one month? What infernal bad luck for you.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Oneiros, April.

Bike repairs after RTA. [email protected] UK 13 April 5th 09 09:50 PM
Puncture Repairs mill_mobile Unicycling 23 February 9th 08 05:06 PM
Posture repairs JusticeZero Unicycling 5 October 30th 06 04:51 AM
Frame Repairs [email protected] Techniques 22 July 22nd 06 10:05 PM
Commutting bike = excessive repairs Paul Healy UK 40 June 20th 05 08:07 AM