Who still makes non-compact frame road bikes?

Old April 30th 12, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Default Who still makes non-compact frame road bikes?

Op 30-4-2012 15:05, Duane schreef:
On 04/29/2012 03:22 PM, SMS wrote:
On 4/29/2012 12:01 PM, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 4/28/2012 5:03 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

snip

The toptube is also slightly sloped. Some people qualify that as
'wrecked' and limiting their choice enormously.

Well I have a Specialized Tarmac that fits me like a glove and it has a
fairly bent top tube. I don't consider it wrecked.

For the Bianchi Volpe in question, I would miss the lugged frame most of
all if I traded in my old one for that one. Just because I like the
look.

Actually Bianchi's geometry has remained pretty good, at least for some
of the steel models. I went back and compared the specs between 2012 and
2006 on their steel models and they are similar, though it's hard to
compare because the Bianchi USA web site is so poorly done.

One big decontenting at Bianchi took place from in 2006 for the Brava,
and 2003 for the Volpe. When did they drop the lugged frame?

The Brava's problem is the CF fork. The Volpe has a steel fork which is
well worth the extra $200 (besides having other upgrades).

I think it'll come down to the Surly Pacer (with a crankset plus front
and rear derailleur change will be about $300), the Bianchi Volpe, or
something from Habanero.

Not sure when Bianchi dropped the lugged frame. I bought mine in 1994
but it was a 93 model.

Looking at the geometry for the 2012 Volpe, they have 9 "sizes" so I
don't see any big difference from mine. I think that when I bought it,
for a size 52 there were 2 choices of TT length. The size then as the
seat tube lenght IIRC. Now there seems to be only one TT length per AS
but given that you can change stems I don't see a big problem. They
still have more selection than the Specialized Tarmac that has 6 basic
sizes.

I would have bought one of their road bikes when I was shopping for one
but Bianchi is not readily available in Montreal for some reason and I
prefer to have a bike that I can get parts for easily from the LBS. I
would not have any problem recommending a Bianchi. I still ride mine and
it's nearly 20 years old.

What parts on a Bianchi bike should be readily available at a LBS?
Daughter of a buddy showed up for our sunday morning ride with her new
Bianchi. It cost her an arm and a leg she said: 4500 euro's and she got
a discount of 2000 euro because the frame had several scratches. She
asked what I thought of it.
I said if she liked it that was all what matters. That made her curious
and she really wanted to hear my opinion. I said she paid 2000 euro for
that puke color, the white spokes and the Bianchi labeled saddle,
handlebar, stem and seatpost.
Geezzzz, 4500 euro's for a 7.5 kilo bike and 'only' equipped with Campy
Chorus....

Lou
Old April 30th 12, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 4/30/2012 8:05 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]
I would have bought one of their road bikes when I was shopping for one
but Bianchi is not readily available in Montreal for some reason and I
prefer to have a bike that I can get parts for easily from the LBS. I
would not have any problem recommending a Bianchi. I still ride mine and
it's nearly 20 years old.

What proprietary parts does a Bianchi have?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731°N, 83.985007°W
Post Free or Die!
Old April 30th 12, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 04/30/2012 09:52 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Good point I guess. And no, Bianchi isn't the cheapest. A Tarmac Elite
that weights close to your 7.5k costs about 2100 Canadian

Old April 30th 12, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 04/30/2012 10:27 AM, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:
On 4/30/2012 8:05 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]
I would have bought one of their road bikes when I was shopping for one
but Bianchi is not readily available in Montreal for some reason and I
prefer to have a bike that I can get parts for easily from the LBS. I
would not have any problem recommending a Bianchi. I still ride mine and
it's nearly 20 years old.

What proprietary parts does a Bianchi have?

Good point.

I guess I want to buy a bike that is sold locally. That way I get a
bike that fits me instead of getting the bike fitted to me, if you see
what I mean.

Old April 30th 12, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 04/30/2012 11:46 AM, Duane wrote:
On 04/30/2012 10:27 AM, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:
On 4/30/2012 8:05 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]
I would have bought one of their road bikes when I was shopping for one
but Bianchi is not readily available in Montreal for some reason and I
prefer to have a bike that I can get parts for easily from the LBS. I
would not have any problem recommending a Bianchi. I still ride mine and
it's nearly 20 years old.

What proprietary parts does a Bianchi have?

Good point.

I guess I want to buy a bike that is sold locally. That way I get a bike
that fits me instead of getting the bike fitted to me, if you see what I
mean.

But as far as I know, the Gang-Green paint (AKA Celeste Green) is the
only thing really proprietary. Though it's close to your velomobile
thing IIRC.
Old April 30th 12, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman (-_-)

On 4/30/2012 10:48 AM, Duane wrote:
On 04/30/2012 11:46 AM, Duane wrote:
On 04/30/2012 10:27 AM, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:
On 4/30/2012 8:05 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]
I would have bought one of their road bikes when I was shopping for one
but Bianchi is not readily available in Montreal for some reason and I
prefer to have a bike that I can get parts for easily from the LBS. I
would not have any problem recommending a Bianchi. I still ride mine
and
it's nearly 20 years old.

What proprietary parts does a Bianchi have?

Good point.

I guess I want to buy a bike that is sold locally. That way I get a bike
that fits me instead of getting the bike fitted to me, if you see what I
mean.

I was wondering, since some bicycles now have proprietary bottom
brackets (e.g. Trek MadOne) or integrated headsets.

But as far as I know, the Gang-Green paint (AKA Celeste Green) is the
only thing really proprietary. Though it's close to your velomobile
thing IIRC.

In real life, the colors are not even close to matching.

Old April 30th 12, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 04/30/2012 11:54 AM, Tom $herman (-_-) wrote:

snip

But as far as I know, the Gang-Green paint (AKA Celeste Green) is the
only thing really proprietary. Though it's close to your velomobile
thing IIRC.

In real life, the colors are not even close to matching.

I know. Just yanking your chain. I find both colors pretty disgusting
g Not a fan of the Rabobank colors either. I have a friend with
those colors on his giant and I give him **** all of the time.

Old May 2nd 12, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

SMS wrote:

The negatives
of the compact frame geometry are too great for him personally,

What negatives are there other than aesthetic concerns? "Not enough
sizes" occurs in both types of bike, so that doesn't count. "Can't
find a seatpost long enough" went away before 1990, and only ever
applied to a small subset of riders and bikes anyway.

Most of my bikes have level top tubes, but I have ridden strongly
sloped bikes since the late '80s as well, without becoming aware of
the negative aspects you allude to.

Chalo
Old September 18th 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 27, 2012 at 11:31:43 AM UTC-4, SMS wrote:
Does any major manufacturer still makes non-compact frame road bikes for
sale in the U.S.?

Friend is looking for a new road bike and is about to give up on shops
and go to bikesdirect.com. He's willing to spend about $2K, which rules
out all the custom frames which are still normal size. He needs a 56cm
frame.

There are still a couple of touring bikes made in non-compact frame
designs, but he wants something lighter (the touring bikes are all steel
frames and the wheels are heavier as well).

You should check out Torelli.com. They can build you a custom road bike to your specifications and I bet they can get you close to your price. Custom-paint as well and the italian steel is super-lightweight and rides much better than aluminum or carbon, IMHO. Good luck on your search.