High praise, indeed

Old August 30th 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default High praise, indeed

https://www.rt.com/uk/437245-boris-j...bicycle-kenya/

I would be honored to be referred to as 'bicycle guy'.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 30th 18, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

https://www.rt.com/uk/437245-boris-j...bicycle-kenya/

I would be honored to be referred to as
'bicycle guy'.

? Doesn't that happen to you all the time?
And "Mike the Bike"?

But it doesn't take a lot to be called that.
It is enough to be seen with a rim in your hand
a couple of times. I think it is because people
like bikes and have positive associations with
it. Guys (and also some girls) like anything
that has to do with gear, tools, and equipment.
And I suppose a bike and a toolbox is one easy
way to have all that.

Unfortunately, it doesn't say in the article
what Boris Johnson did to deserve the
honor?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old August 30th 18, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/30/2018 3:16 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

https://www.rt.com/uk/437245-boris-j...bicycle-kenya/

I would be honored to be referred to as
'bicycle guy'.

? Doesn't that happen to you all the time?
And "Mike the Bike"?

But it doesn't take a lot to be called that.
It is enough to be seen with a rim in your hand
a couple of times. I think it is because people
like bikes and have positive associations with
it. Guys (and also some girls) like anything
that has to do with gear, tools, and equipment.
And I suppose a bike and a toolbox is one easy
way to have all that.

Unfortunately, it doesn't say in the article
what Boris Johnson did to deserve the
honor?

Boris, for all his many foibles, does actually ride his bike.

Old August 31st 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/30/2018 10:17 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.rt.com/uk/437245-boris-j...bicycle-kenya/

I would be honored to be referred to as 'bicycle guy'.

Heck, I've gotten that, and I qualify far less than you, Andrew.

Haven't we all been called "bicycle guy" (or "bicycle lady")?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 18, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 4:36:26 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/30/2018 10:17 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.rt.com/uk/437245-boris-j...bicycle-kenya/

I would be honored to be referred to as 'bicycle guy'.

Heck, I've gotten that, and I qualify far less than you, Andrew.

Haven't we all been called "bicycle guy" (or "bicycle lady")?

Sometimes disparagingly. In the '70s, I'd ride to work, which was driving an ambulance. I didn't own a car, and the only car I drove was an ambulance at work. This shocked my cohorts, and guys with seniority typically relegated me to attending until I switched companies. Riding a bike was like having low testosterone or being disabled. I was a competent driver and managed to drive this rig without crashing it. https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7332/1...06d1a19a_b.jpg

I worked with one guy who I liked but told me, "Beattie, you have to drive every call like it was your mother dying." WTF? Are you crazy?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old August 31st 18, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On 31/08/18 11:10, jbeattie wrote:
Sometimes disparagingly. In the '70s, I'd ride to work, which was driving an ambulance. I didn't own a car, and the only car I drove was an ambulance at work. This shocked my cohorts, and guys with seniority typically relegated me to attending until I switched companies. Riding a bike was like having low testosterone or being disabled. I was a competent driver and managed to drive this rig without crashing it.https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7332/1...06d1a19a_b.jpg

Similar period and my first job after university studies. I was the IT
guy for a motor car dealership and for the nine months I stayed there, I
rode a bicycle to and from work every day. Every week the question was
about "Was I interested in buying a car? A good second hand one?
Eventually, they got the picture that a definite answer was No!

The job I was interviewed for was for some one to replace a woman taking
maternity leave, and it was half computers and half office work. The job
I started at was half computer and half selling spare parts.

Somehow, based on my answer to a couple of car technical questions at
the interview, they decided I knew about cars. Woops. I knew that a car
had five wheels and took petrol and water, but knew zilch else.

The moral is never base a interview technical question on something that
could be answered by reading the trade magazine in the waiting area. A
few years of reading for study and a speed reading course left me with
the ability to dazzle the owner with my understanding of the butterfly
value and its servicing. Sure, I'd used a fiche reader(for searching for
psychology reports and the like).

Old September 1st 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 9:59:07 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/30/2018 3:16 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't say in the article
what Boris Johnson did to deserve the
honor?

Boris, for all his many foibles, does actually ride his bike.

The London public bike scheme's bicycles are called "Boris Bikes" because he was the Mayor of London who instituted the scheme.

Here you go, Emmanuel, dozens of photographs of Boris riding various bikes:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Boris+John...es &ia=images

Andre Jute
It helps to have long legs if you ride a Pedersen

In praise of the LBS Simon Mason[_4_] UK 21 August 14th 11 01:49 AM
LBS praise Henry Lockwood UK 0 April 8th 08 10:32 AM
In praise of hot showers Claire Petersky General 28 September 12th 06 03:52 AM
In praise of Gorillas Bill C Racing 23 September 6th 06 06:17 PM
In praise of the 28 Mikefule Unicycling 6 January 27th 04 08:34 AM