help! need hands-on insight into trainers

Old June 30th 04, 09:45 PM
amirm

Default help! need hands-on insight into trainers

Hi everyone:

contemplating to purchase a trainer, and having a look at what's
generally available in the market, I have the following questions. Any
experience to share?

1. It seems there are at least three mechanisms: hydraulic, magnetic
and wind (?). Any better than the others? why?

2. The contact with the rear wheel also seems to be in two ways:
contact of a roller with the contact surface of the rear tyre (like
a little dyno), or two rollers contact both sides of the side-walls.
Any one better?

3. Do they break frequently or are they fairly die hard? In
other words, do we need spare parts down the track? hence the
brand matters?

4. What difference justifies the price difference among different
models of the same brand? eg features, durability, noise?

5. Any brand is doing better? Was thinking of Minoura (spelling?).

Any insight is appreciated. Cheers,

Old July 1st 04, 02:15 AM
Paul J

Go with a rim drive trainer. If you get the tyre driven type you'll
shred tyres up pretty quickly. Or it'll just be a pain having to change
wheels all the time. Look at rollers too. Track riders tend to use these
more as they require much more work in stability. Some track riders I
ride with sneer at me when I mention being on my trainer. In their eye's
trainers are for wimps, tough guys use rollers.

Old July 1st 04, 02:30 AM
hippy

Originally posted by amirm snip questions about trainers

Have a look at the recent thread "mag / wind trainers" (pg.2 a.b on
cylingforums.com) and a google groups search will reveal a few
similar threads.

Old July 1st 04, 02:30 AM
flyingdutch

Paul J wrote:
In their eye's trainers are for wimps, tough guys use rollers.

tuff guys have a VB in the bidon and a durry hangin outta their
mouth! :-)

AND get massaged with egg-beaters and the lawnmower aka Triplets of
Belleville (what a great movie BTW)

Old July 1st 04, 03:00 AM
ritcho

amirm wrote:
Hi everyone:
contemplating to purchase a trainer, and having a look at what's
generally available in the market, I have the following questions. Any
experience to share?
[snip]
Any insight is appreciated. Cheers,

FWIW, I bought a Minoura rim trainer and am quite happy with it. I'm
only a moderate user 'cos it never rains in Sydney, but it is useful for
warmup before a race.

Useful note:

A rim trainer is handy for truing a wheel after replacing a broken
spoke. (stupid Shimano 535s). Actually the 535s aren't that bad - they
get ridden every day over gutters and pothole-ridden Sydney roads. Only
two broken spokes in about 8000km...

Ritch