Helmet Law: Upgrade to Omnibus Safety Legislation

Old November 27th 04, 12:12 AM
Concerned Citizens

Default Helmet Law: Upgrade to Omnibus Safety Legislation

According to recent news items:

Ontario Liberal backbencher John Milloy has introduced a private
member's bill to amend the helmet provisions of the Highway Traffic
Act to include most vehicles that are powered by people, requiring
skateboarders, cyclists and in-line skaters of all ages to wear a
helmet on the province's roadways. "At its core, I think this bill
is really about creating a culture of safety in this province,"
Milloy told a news conference.

Ontario NDP member Michael Prue declared: "There isn't a day goes by
that I don't see someone on the streets of Toronto, an adult, with no
helmet on their head, and I want to get out of my car or off the
sidewalk and I want to grab them and I want to shake them." "I want
to tell them that this was an absolutely wrong thing, a bad thing to
happen."

"Many [MPs] used their debate time Thursday to tell touching stories
about friends or family members whose lives were cut short by head
injuries".

Members of the legislature provided unanimous approval on second
reading of the bill.

*******

While some critics claim that these are irrational actions based on
emotional manipulation, we consider a "culture of safety" to be a
good thing, and urge legislators to redouble their efforts: It would
be a travesty to merely legislate the safety of human-powered
vehicles, when the overwhelming majority of injuries are
motor-vehicle related. Let's not waste our time with a law that is
so narrow it cannot make a statistically significant improvement.
What we need is omnibus transportation safety legislation, including,
but not limited to the following:

* All motor vehicle occupants must wear:

* approved helmets

* fire resistant full-body suits, gloves, and footwear

* safety belts that are as safe as we can make them. It is
appalling that standards for regular vehicles are so low, while
sport drivers benefit from systems which are vastly superior.
For example, in Formula-1 vehicles, drivers must wear two
shoulder straps, one abdominal strap and two straps between the
legs. We must legislate at least this level of protection. All
existing vehicles must be retrofitted immediately. This will
make air bags unnecessary, so there will be cost savings as well
as injury reduction.

* All cars must be fitted with fire extinguishing systems which will
discharge into engine compartment and fuel tank areas. Fire
extinguishers must also be placed in the passenger compartment in
such a way that every occupant, while wearing the full safety
harness, can reach and operate an extinguisher.

* Every motor-vehicle carrying a flammable explosive fuel must
display, on the front, rear, and both sides, approved "flammable
and explosive" warning signs.

* All existing speed limits must immediately be reduced by half.
This one change would reduce annual highway deaths and injuries
dramatically, and require no modifications to vehicles. Our
highways must be as safe as possible.

* Entertainment devices are a serious distraction, as motorists
fiddle with controls of their radios, CD players, etc. instead of
concentrating on driving. Such devices must be prohibited, and
existing systems must be removed immediately.

* Current driver licensing standards are deplorable: They do not
reflect the real risks and responsibilities of motor-vehicle
operation. A system of driver evaluation utilizing sophisticated
simulators which realistically and objectively measure
collision-avoidance ability must be implemented. Skill testing,
along with enhanced NON-TRIVIAL written tests will be required
annually.

* We know that gasoline is far more dangerous than any firearm, and
the terrible destructive power of diesel fuel has been proven many
times, yet such fuels are sold to anyone who wishes to purchase
them, in virtually unlimited quantities. Especially in view of the
threat of terrorist activity, we must establish a registry of fuel
purchasers. This legislation would make it a criminal offense to
buy or sell fuel without authorization, punishable with a prison
term of 10-15 years. In order to be registered, a person must
successfully pass an annual test demonstrating knowledge of and
competence in the safe handling of flammable liquids. All fuel
purchasers would be subject to extensive, active background checks.
The associated fees will ensure that the registry is
revenue-positive.

All of the changes listed above will create statistically significant
improvements in the health of the affected citizens. Democratically
elected legislators, can we count on your support? Will you drop
this trivial self-promoting helmet bill, and support our efforts
toward a truly safe culture?

Passionately Concerned Citizens for a Culture of Safety
"A perfect society through infinite legislation"