Short fat feet

Old June 8th 05, 07:23 PM
Danny Colyer

Default Short fat feet

DW has expressed an interest in trying clipless pedals (we plan to look
for bargains at York). We haven't decided what system to go for, but
the decision will probably be largely dependent upon the availability of
shoes.

She'll want something easy to walk in, so probably a trainer style shoe
with recessed cleats. The problem is that she has wide feet.

Her shoe size is 4.5 - 5, her width fitting is G-H in children's shoes,
or FF in ladies' shoes (apparently the width labelling system is
different again for men's shoes, but is irrelevant because men's shoes
start at size 6).

I've never had problems buying cycling shoes, but then I have fairly
average feet. I've read plenty about people with wide feet having
problems. Can anyone here recommend any shoes that we ought to look at?

TIA.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Old June 8th 05, 09:49 PM
Tony Raven

Danny Colyer wrote:
DW has expressed an interest in trying clipless pedals (we plan to look
for bargains at York). We haven't decided what system to go for, but
the decision will probably be largely dependent upon the availability of
shoes.

She'll want something easy to walk in, so probably a trainer style shoe
with recessed cleats. The problem is that she has wide feet.

Her shoe size is 4.5 - 5, her width fitting is G-H in children's shoes,
or FF in ladies' shoes (apparently the width labelling system is
different again for men's shoes, but is irrelevant because men's shoes
start at size 6).

I've never had problems buying cycling shoes, but then I have fairly
average feet. I've read plenty about people with wide feet having
problems. Can anyone here recommend any shoes that we ought to look at?

TIA.

I have wide feet and go for Northwave. Don't bother with Shimano which
are narrow unless its the SPD sandals.

--
Tony

"Don't argue the matter, the difficulties will argue for themselves"
-W.S. Churchill
Old June 8th 05, 10:34 PM
Steph Peters

Danny Colyer of Home in Bristol, UK wrote:

DW has expressed an interest in trying clipless pedals (we plan to look
for bargains at York). We haven't decided what system to go for, but
the decision will probably be largely dependent upon the availability of
shoes.

She'll want something easy to walk in, so probably a trainer style shoe
with recessed cleats. The problem is that she has wide feet.

Her shoe size is 4.5 - 5, her width fitting is G-H in children's shoes,
or FF in ladies' shoes (apparently the width labelling system is
different again for men's shoes, but is irrelevant because men's shoes
start at size 6).

I've never had problems buying cycling shoes, but then I have fairly
average feet. I've read plenty about people with wide feet having
problems. Can anyone here recommend any shoes that we ought to look at?

I have exactly the same size feet as your wife. The only cycling shoes that
are at all comfortable are the Shimano SD60 sandals, everything else is too
narrow. Cycle shoes in size 5 are hard to find, because many ranges only
start at 6. Even when I can find a size 5, I usually cannot even get the
shoes on because they are so much narrower.

I have got a pair of full shoes for cycling, but they are a tight fit and
after about an hour they are agony. I used to wear them in winter, but now
I just wear more pairs of socks with the sandals.

If she decides to look at the sandals beware, the Shimano labelling system
doesn't seem to match UK sizes. I ordered the 37-38 which is a 4-5, but had
to change them for the 39-40. I would advise trying on in a shop and not
buying mail order. OTOH Settle Cycles still seem to have them on offer at
£50.
--
Advice is what we ask when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
Erica Jong
Old June 8th 05, 10:39 PM
Simon Brooke

I resemble that subject line.

in message , Danny Colyer
') wrote:

DW has expressed an interest in trying clipless pedals (we plan to
look
for bargains at York). We haven't decided what system to go for, but
the decision will probably be largely dependent upon the availability
of shoes.

She'll want something easy to walk in, so probably a trainer style
shoe
with recessed cleats. The problem is that she has wide feet.

Her shoe size is 4.5 - 5, her width fitting is G-H in children's
shoes, or FF in ladies' shoes (apparently the width labelling system
is different again for men's shoes, but is irrelevant because men's
shoes start at size 6).

The only cycling shoes I've ever had that have been really comfortable
are SIDIs. Try 'em on, of course, because I've heard tell some SIDIs do
not fit wide feet well, but all mine do.

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.
Old June 9th 05, 10:14 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Steph Peters
') wrote:

I have exactly the same size feet as your wife. The only cycling
shoes that are at all comfortable are the Shimano SD60 sandals,
everything else is too
narrow. Cycle shoes in size 5 are hard to find, because many ranges
only
start at 6. Even when I can find a size 5, I usually cannot even get
the shoes on because they are so much narrower.

I have got a pair of full shoes for cycling, but they are a tight fit
and
after about an hour they are agony. I used to wear them in winter,
but now I just wear more pairs of socks with the sandals.

Just a thought. I get all my shoes except my cycling shoes hand lasted
for me. Yup, it's very expensive per pair, but seeing hand made shoes
are much better made and much more repairable than manufactured shoes,
they last a very long time and consequently it's not expensive per
year. And, of course, they fit properly and are really comfortable.
URL:http://www.clogandshoe.co.uk/

I've talked to my soutar about making cycling shoes, but I haven't yet
had a pair made. But if you're having trouble with fit it might well be
the answer.

For office use only. Please do not write or type below this line.
Old June 9th 05, 10:14 PM
Ian Blake

Lake make some of their shoes in two different widths eg MX220. Whether you
can get the wide fitting in the UK this year I do not know.

It is not just width that is a problem. People have different wide feet. The
left foot may not be the same size as the right. In my case I have a narrow
heel and a slightly wide forefoot. My instep is of average height. My foot
length is shorter than the modern average.

I discovered earlier this year that my shoe size is smaller than I have assumed
all my adult life. I went to buy a new ski boots. Fit in ski boots is even
more awkward than cycling shoes. So my feet were measured carefully and I was
told my size was 6.5/40/25.5 not 7/41/26.0 that I thought. I have been buying
size 7 to accomodate my forefoot width all my adult life. When I got home I
started to test all my shoes. Squeezing the shoe box revealed typically 1cm in
front of my big toe. I use the laces to hold my foot in place, my narrow heel
is not held well in any of my shoes.

The shortness of my foot causes me a few problems. Because of the excessive
room in the toe box my big toe is basically unsupported and flaps about. On a
long audax with unsmooth roads it hurts. I suppose Bigtoeitis is better than
the metatarsalitis I had a few years ago.

Old June 9th 05, 11:03 PM
Steph Peters

Simon Brooke of gradually deteriorating wrote:
The only cycling shoes I've ever had that have been really comfortable
are SIDIs. Try 'em on, of course, because I've heard tell some SIDIs do
not fit wide feet well, but all mine do.

I had a pair of SIDIs for a while, so they must be one of the wider brands.
They were the type with a ratcheted strap to close them; I think that the
adjustable strap went wider than laces do. Ratchet broke in the end though.
--
I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they
killed, there would be no more wars. Abbie Hoffman
Old June 9th 05, 11:34 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Steph Peters
') wrote:

Simon Brooke of gradually deteriorating wrote:
The only cycling shoes I've ever had that have been really comfortable
are SIDIs. Try 'em on, of course, because I've heard tell some SIDIs
do not fit wide feet well, but all mine do.

I had a pair of SIDIs for a while, so they must be one of the wider
brands. They were the type with a ratcheted strap to close them; I
think that the
adjustable strap went wider than laces do. Ratchet broke in the end
though.

All the fastening bits on SIDIs are replaceable, any shop which stocks
SIDIs ought to be able to order the bits you need.

'Victories are not solutions.'
;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much

Old June 10th 05, 08:21 AM
Tony Raven

Steph Peters wrote:
--
I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they
killed, there would be no more wars. Abbie Hoffman

....and an awful lot more flies and mosquitos around!

Old June 10th 05, 07:14 PM
Danny Colyer

Steph Peters wrote:
I had a pair of SIDIs for a while, so they must be one of the wider brands.
They were the type with a ratcheted strap to close them; I think that the
adjustable strap went wider than laces do. Ratchet broke in the end though.

I thought SIDIs were purely road shoes. Do they do trainer style shoes
as well?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's replied so far. Shimano sandals are a
definite possibility. Catherine tried mine on and they were fine for
width, although rather too long.

I wouldn't have thought of Northwave as making wide fitting shoes,
simply because Shimano shoes are notorious for being narrow and my
Northwave shoes are an identical fit to my Shimano shoes. But I guess
they must be worth a look.

I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they
killed, there would be no more wars. Abbie Hoffman

Personally I reckon there'd be more wars, as people develop a taste for
human flesh. It'd solve the population problem, though.

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/