Front lights - mk 2

Old February 8th 06, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Front lights - mk 2

Having asked advice on a new front light, I'm now asking for the follow
up -where to mount it :-)
My bars are unavailable due to a bar bag, and the forks rake forward so
the ligt points up at the
sky - it only adjusts in that plane by about 10 degrees. I solved this
with my previous one
by hacking it about till I could rotate it by a bigger angle but would
rather find a nicer
solution... I thought I might try to bolt a short stub to the front rack
fixing and put the light on that...
Old February 9th 06, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Ben Barker wrote:
Having asked advice on a new front light, I'm now asking for the follow
up -where to mount it :-)
My bars are unavailable due to a bar bag, and the forks rake forward so
the ligt points up at the
sky

I had a similar problem and bought a (pair of) bar ends that were each a
bit like this:
http://www.buechel-online.com/upload...0-bar-ends.gif
....ie with two straight sections, not all curvy. Because my handlebars
have a nice curve to them about half-way across one side, I was able to
mount one bar end on the curve such that the long bit is up and
forwards, and the short bit ends up pointing across the bike and
horizontal. The big light goes on that - about 4" above the middle of
the bars, and easily over the bar bag. It also has the side benefit
that it's closer to driver's eyeline sight and less easy to be "lost"
behind car boots, bonnets, etc.

I did have an Additional Cunning Plan involving a short seat tube that
was a close interference fit in the end of the bar end with a second
(flashing) light, and cycle computer, on it, but "close interference
fit" in the shed meant "freely rotating" in the bouncy bumpy roads so
beloved of QR disk braked wheels...whooops, wrong topic...and I never
obtained those round tuits needed to secure it properly, so that stage
got remaindered back into the parts bin.

R.
Old February 9th 06, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Ben Barker wrote:
Having asked advice on a new front light, I'm now asking for the follow
up -where to mount it :-)
My bars are unavailable due to a bar bag, and the forks rake forward so
the ligt points up at the
sky - it only adjusts in that plane by about 10 degrees. I solved this
with my previous one
by hacking it about till I could rotate it by a bigger angle but would
rather find a nicer
solution... I thought I might try to bolt a short stub to the front rack
fixing and put the light on that...

Minoura Spacebar / Space Grip???

druidh
Old February 9th 06, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Ben Barker" wrote in message
Having asked advice on a new front light, I'm now asking for the follow
p -where to mount it :-)
My bars are unavailable due to a bar bag, and the forks rake forward so
the ligt points up at the
sky - it only adjusts in that plane by about 10 degrees. I solved this
with my previous one
by hacking it about till I could rotate it by a bigger angle but would
rather find a nicer
solution... I thought I might try to bolt a short stub to the front rack
fixing and put the light on that...

Try a Minoura Space Bar. That enables me to have computer, bar bag & two
lights on handlebars.

Cheers, helen s

Old February 9th 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

druidh wrote:
Ben Barker wrote:

Having asked advice on a new front light, I'm now asking for the
follow up -where to mount it :-)
My bars are unavailable due to a bar bag, and the forks rake forward
so the ligt points up at the
sky - it only adjusts in that plane by about 10 degrees. I solved this
with my previous one
by hacking it about till I could rotate it by a bigger angle but would
rather find a nicer
solution... I thought I might try to bolt a short stub to the front
rack fixing and put the light on that...

Minoura Spacebar / Space Grip???

druidh

these bars are very good in principle, but poorly engineered, or made of
cheese. Numerous accounts of them failing in 't'internet (C+ forum,
Know How)

--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

Old February 9th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pete Whelan wrote:
druidh wrote:

Minoura Spacebar / Space Grip???

druidh

these bars are very good in principle, but poorly engineered, or made of
cheese. Numerous accounts of them failing in 't'internet (C+ forum,
Know How)

I'll second that. You can't put anything vaguely heavy on them or they
twist round the bars. If you try tightening them up enough, the
retaining strap breaks.

BTDTCIITB.

Otherwise a very good idea. I did have a bodged version before the
minoura made from some U-bolts, a bit of aluminium curtain rail, and a
1" dowel. I now have a custom bar bag holder with 6" of handlebar
brazed on the front.

...d

Old February 9th 06, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 09:07:05 +0000 (UTC), Pete Whelan
wrote:

Minoura Spacebar / Space Grip???

druidh

these bars are very good in principle, but poorly engineered, or made of
cheese. Numerous accounts of them failing in 't'internet (C+ forum,
Know How)

I've had mine for must be 4 years now. Apart from a screw coming loose
I've had no problems with them. Perhaps the grade of cheese has
changed overthe years. I'll have a gander at the C+ forum.

Tim
--
Blue Witch laughed at me
Old February 9th 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Martin wrote:
Pete Whelan wrote:
druidh wrote:
Minoura Spacebar / Space Grip???

these bars are very good in principle, but poorly engineered, or
made of cheese. Numerous accounts of them failing in 't'internet
(C+ forum, Know How)

I'll second that. You can't put anything vaguely heavy on them or they
twist round the bars. If you try tightening them up enough, the
retaining strap breaks.

I had one strap break, but the two Space Grips I've used a lot since have
been fine. These ones are done up tight and feel rock solid and can take
a fair amount of weight. I think I didn't install the first one properly
somehow, plus I had the bad habit of brute-forcing it up and down to vary
the angle of my lights (without loosening the bolt first), which of course
causes fatigue.

Since no other product is exactly the same size/shape or does exactly the
same thing, I recommend it, despite the possibility of failure. It is
/that/ handy. Wrap the handlebar with self amalgamating rubber tape
first.

~PB

Old February 9th 06, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pete Biggs wrote:
David Martin wrote:
Pete Whelan wrote:
druidh wrote:
[...]

Or take the strap thingy off completely and use a different bracket to
hold it to the bar. Definitely recommend the use of an anti-slip tape
(as you describe or the cheapscates solution which is a piece of an old
inner tube.)

I now much prefer them on the bar bag.

...d

Old February 9th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Martin wrote:

Or take the strap thingy off completely and use a different bracket to
hold it to the bar.

I might have a go at doing that if I have another one break!

Definitely recommend the use of an anti-slip tape
(as you describe or the cheapscates solution which is a piece of an
old inner tube.)

Self amalgamating rubber tape is expensive but grippy -- much more grippy
than inner tubes or the rubber bands that come with lights, etc. Useful
for all sorts of bike accessories, and makes perfect soft covers for
Campag Ergo buttons!

~PB

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Front brake shuddering! Bad wheels??? Pizza Man Mountain Biking 15 October 3rd 04 04:35 AM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM