Creaky bar, loctite & paint

Old October 2nd 04, 04:55 PM
Dan

Default Creaky bar, loctite & paint

I have isolated the creaking noise when I am climbing hard and pulling on
the bars. It is the stem handlebar clamp. If I loosen the clamp a tiny bit
it doesn't creak but the bars slip. The tighter the clamp the more it
creaks. I have Salsa bars which have a bead-blast finish and seem to be
painted. I have a threaded Nitto Technomic Deluxe stem. I plan to cure the
creak with loctite and have three questions:

1) Blue or red loctite?

2) Is loctite ok with the painted bars?

3) Can I get the loctite into the single-bolt clamp without taking the bars
off?

Thanks,
Dan

Old October 2nd 04, 06:08 PM
daveornee

Dan Wrote:
I have isolated the creaking noise when I am climbing hard and pullin
on
the bars. It is the stem handlebar clamp. If I loosen the clamp a tin
bit
it doesn't creak but the bars slip. The tighter the clamp the more it
creaks. I have Salsa bars which have a bead-blast finish and seem t
be
painted. I have a threaded Nitto Technomic Deluxe stem. I plan to cur
the
creak with loctite and have three questions:

1) Blue or red loctite?

2) Is loctite ok with the painted bars?

3) Can I get the loctite into the single-bolt clamp without taking th
bars
off?

Thanks,
Dan

I wouldn't use loctite in this application. I would loosen the ste
and slide the clamped section out to take a close look at it. If ther
are no cracks or other mechanical deformations I would then tak
something like #400 emery cloth to the clamped area. I would lightl
coat the area with grease. I would clean the clamping bolt(s) an
examine it (them) to make sure the threads are in perfect shape. an
apply grease to the threads and under the bolt head (and both sides o
the washer, if there is one.) I would then torque down the assembly t
the manufaturer's recommended torque

--
daveornee

Old October 3rd 04, 10:01 PM
Dan

I tried the grease since it was easy to do and it seems ok on today's ride.
I lightly greased all the contact surfaces on the bar, clamp, bolt and
washers. We'll have to see how long it lasts.

Thanks for the help,
Dan

I wouldn't use loctite in this application. I would loosen the stem
and slide the clamped section out to take a close look at it. If there
are no cracks or other mechanical deformations I would then take
something like #400 emery cloth to the clamped area. I would lightly
coat the area with grease. I would clean the clamping bolt(s) and
examine it (them) to make sure the threads are in perfect shape. and
apply grease to the threads and under the bolt head (and both sides of
the washer, if there is one.) I would then torque down the assembly to