Home built recumbents?

Old October 29th 04, 07:39 PM
live-free

Default Home built recumbents?

I had the chance to test ride a easy racer recumbent while shopping
for a new ride the other day. I had never riden a bent before but I
loved it! But my wallet can't afford the price tag of the ones I have
seen. But I could afford plans to build one at home. Has anyone ever
built a bent at home from plans they got over the net? If so how did
it work out? I am fairly mechanically inclined (have rebuilt a couple
of cars in the past) and I think that I could handle the "building" of
a bent.

Ken
Old October 29th 04, 08:15 PM
Tom Sherman

live-free wrote:

I had the chance to test ride a easy racer recumbent while shopping
for a new ride the other day. I had never riden a bent before but I
loved it! But my wallet can't afford the price tag of the ones I have
seen. But I could afford plans to build one at home. Has anyone ever
built a bent at home from plans they got over the net? If so how did
it work out? I am fairly mechanically inclined (have rebuilt a couple
of cars in the past) and I think that I could handle the "building" of
a bent.

The least expensive places to find donor tubing and components are bike
shop dumpsters, curbside trash, and thrift stores.

The greatest challenge may be the seat, as many manufacturers spend as
much building the seat as they do for the frame, and homebuilt seat are
often less than satisfactory.

Links posted on a recent thread:

http://www.ihpva.org/Builders/
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/
http://www.recumbents.com/mars/pages/proj/spol/Tom/projspolTom1.html
http://www.mile43.com/peterson/weezlow.htm
http://home1.gte.net/kfics/bikes.htm
http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com/pdf/RCN.Homebuilder.pdf.

--
Tom Sherman

Old October 29th 04, 08:27 PM
Mark Wolfe

live-free wrote:
I had the chance to test ride a easy racer recumbent while shopping
for a new ride the other day. I had never riden a bent before but I
loved it! But my wallet can't afford the price tag of the ones I have
seen. But I could afford plans to build one at home. Has anyone ever
built a bent at home from plans they got over the net? If so how did
it work out? I am fairly mechanically inclined (have rebuilt a couple
of cars in the past) and I think that I could handle the "building" of
a bent.

Havent built it yet, but here are the plans.

http://members.aol.com/domerie/bentech.htm

--
Mark Wolfe Lakeside, ca http://www.wolfenet.org
gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6 8C71
Old October 30th 04, 01:37 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Sherman" wrote: (clip) The greatest challenge may be the seat, as many
manufacturers spend as much building the seat as they do for the frame, and
homebuilt seat are often less than satisfactory.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I ran across a guy a while back with a home-built recumbent. It was
obviously home-built--almost on the crude side, but appeared to be very
rideable. His seat was an injection molded plastic kitchen chair--the kind
that is form-fitting around the butt and back. It appeared to be quite
comfortable, and it was certainly very light.

Old October 30th 04, 04:18 AM
Steve Maas

live-free wrote:

I had the chance to test ride a easy racer recumbent while shopping
for a new ride the other day. I had never riden a bent before but I
loved it! But my wallet can't afford the price tag of the ones I have
seen. But I could afford plans to build one at home. Has anyone ever
built a bent at home from plans they got over the net? If so how did
it work out? I am fairly mechanically inclined (have rebuilt a couple
of cars in the past) and I think that I could handle the "building" of
a bent.

Ken

Another set of plans for a tour-easy clone is at
http://home.flash.net/~staudt/bike.htm

Steve@LongBeachCA

Old October 30th 04, 05:07 AM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Leo Lichtman wrote:

I ran across a guy a while back with a home-built recumbent.

Did he sue your pants off?!?

Bill "slow night" S.

Old October 31st 04, 01:33 AM

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:37:48 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote: (clip) The greatest challenge may be the seat, as many
manufacturers spend as much building the seat as they do for the frame, and
homebuilt seat are often less than satisfactory.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I ran across a guy a while back with a home-built recumbent. It was
obviously home-built--almost on the crude side, but appeared to be very
rideable. His seat was an injection molded plastic kitchen chair--the kind
that is form-fitting around the butt and back. It appeared to be quite
comfortable, and it was certainly very light.

Here's my homemade bike ( http://geocities.com/throwaway888/ )
I commute every day with it and have put at least 11,000 kilometres on
it since building it. This winter I'll be adding studded snow tires.
Should be fun!

Old October 31st 04, 01:11 AM
Tom Sherman

wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote: (clip) The greatest challenge may be the seat, as many
manufacturers spend as much building the seat as they do for the frame, and
homebuilt seat are often less than satisfactory.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I ran across a guy a while back with a home-built recumbent. It was
obviously home-built--almost on the crude side, but appeared to be very
rideable. His seat was an injection molded plastic kitchen chair--the kind
that is form-fitting around the butt and back. It appeared to be quite
comfortable, and it was certainly very light.

Here's my homemade bike (
http://geocities.com/throwaway888/ )
I commute every day with it and have put at least 11,000 kilometres on
it since building it. This winter I'll be adding studded snow tires.
Should be fun!

One of the probable reason the bike rides well is it has proper weight
distribution. Too many SWB designs make the mistake of having a long
boom to minimize foot/wheel interference, which results in the front
wheel being too heavily loaded, leading to inferior handling and braking.

--
Tom Sherman