Pics of Campa 11 speed

Old June 22nd 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

Default Pics of Campa 11 speed

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

The point is if you want to keep riding 9 speed you still can with good
quality components.

Lou, I'm arguing that those components are not "quality". Have you looked at
that stuff? Taken it apart? Observed the plastic components etc.?

I'm certainly not suggesting that it is junk by any stretch of the
imagination - but neither is it 105 or higher quality.

Old June 22nd 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Tom Kunich wrote:
"M-gineering" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
t...

so don't buy campy! plenty of 9-s shimano available. duh.

OK, where do I get new 9-speed 105 or Ultegra levers?

ST R 600 are 9 speed, ST R 500 are 8 speed.

When did ST R600 become 105?

Shimano thinks they are Ultegra level

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old June 22nd 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A R:nen

Qui si parla Campagnolo writes:

Pretty simple, Campagnolo stopped making Centaur with aluminum axle
and Chorus hubs in 2006. Hubset chopices for 2007/8 are the Black
Record, Centaur with cart bearings and steel axle(acxtually relabeled
Veloce hubs), Veloce...

And Veloce was available in 2007 only. The hubs don't actually
have the text "Veloce" anywhere on them, but 2008 Centaur (and Mirage)
has the new design QR, so there is at least some way to tell them apart.

I guess I'd better stock up a few Mirage rear hubs for utility and
foul weather use before they are gone altogether. Also, shouldn't the
"red" Record Ergos be available with substantial discounts pretty
soon, what with all pro wannabes now just waiting for 11s?
Old June 22nd 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
On Jun 22, 7:16 am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
When did ST R600 become 105?

Didn't. New shape, ala 7800 and 6600, 8 and 9s levers. No more DA,
ultegra or 105 9s levers being made. Those 3 are 10s, and 9s and 8s
relegated to lower end levers.

That was my point Peter. I'm trying to argue that there is a good market for
quality 9-speed stuff still and perhaps that market is significantly larger
than for 10 or 11 speed stuff.

I think that we're all getting damned tired of the idea that more speed
equals better.

Tom: 9-speed shifters don't really cost any less to make, quality being
equal, than 10-speed shifters. The other parts of the system are the
derailers (which also don't cost any less to make, and are agnostic
about how many cogs they shift, until the creation of the new-spec D-A
cable pull for 2009), and the cassette, which is a wear item.

So what happens is you bring your trashed Ultegra 9s brifters into the
bike shop, and the wise proprietor will point out you just need to buy a
new cassette (and your old one is half-worn anyways) and you're in the
world of 10s.

The number of people who in that circumstance would choose to stay with
9-speed is not a market. The real cheapskates just buy used 9s, which
are cheap and plentiful.

Old June 22nd 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Lee[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
The other parts of the system are the
derailers (which also don't cost any less to make, and are agnostic
about how many cogs they shift, until the creation of the new-spec D-A
cable pull for 2009)

According the chart here,
http://www.dura-ace.com/downloads/in...ngeability.pdf , the 2009 D-A
levers are interchangeable with the current 7800 D-A levers with regards to
the rear derailleur operation, so there must be no cable pull difference
there. However, the 2009 levers are not supposed to work with the 7800
front derailleur, so there is probably a cable pull difference in the front.

Old June 22nd 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

That was my point Peter. I'm trying to argue that there is a good market
for
quality 9-speed stuff still and perhaps that market is significantly
larger
than for 10 or 11 speed stuff.

I think that we're all getting damned tired of the idea that more speeds
equals better.

Tom: 9-speed shifters don't really cost any less to make, quality being
equal, than 10-speed shifters. The other parts of the system are the
derailers (which also don't cost any less to make, and are agnostic
about how many cogs they shift, until the creation of the new-spec D-A
cable pull for 2009), and the cassette, which is a wear item.

Ryan, the 10 and soon the 11 speed stuff is wearing a great deal faster than
the 8-speed stuff. I was willing to go to 9-speed because a 13-27 9-speed
covers just about the entire range that anyone needs in the San Francisco
Bay Area.

Unless you're racing you gain nothing from a 10 speed (save the small
numbers that are using the 12-29 Campy 10-speed). Why install a rapid wear
group?

Old June 22nd 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

Tom Kunich wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
t...

so don't buy campy! plenty of 9-s shimano available. duh.

OK, where do I get new 9-speed 105 or Ultegra levers?

ST R 600 are 9 speed, ST R 500 are 8 speed.

When did ST R600 become 105?

Shimano thinks they are Ultegra level

Duhhh - Sorry about that Martin, my brain apparently turned off - you say
that the R600 is available in 9-speeds? Ahh, yes here it is - But a set of
the levers is selling for the same thing as Ultegra - $320.

Old June 22nd 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
t...

so don't buy campy! plenty of 9-s shimano available. duh.

OK, where do I get new 9-speed 105 or Ultegra levers?

ST R 600 are 9 speed, ST R 500 are 8 speed.

When did ST R600 become 105?

Shimano thinks they are Ultegra level

Duhhh - Sorry about that Martin, my brain apparently turned off - you
say that the R600 is available in 9-speeds? Ahh, yes here it is - But a
set of the levers is selling for the same thing as Ultegra - $320.

Well at last. It comes down to money... How many brifters do you wear
out per year?

Lou
Old June 22nd 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

Tom Kunich wrote:

Duhhh - Sorry about that Martin, my brain apparently turned off - you say
that the R600 is available in 9-speeds? Ahh, yes here it is - But a set
of the levers is selling for the same thing as Ultegra - $320.

Well at last. It comes down to money... How many brifters do you wear out
per year?

Tell me Lou - why would you think that a bicycle shift/brake lever should
cost a consumer over $200? Have you noticed that you can get a desktop
computer for that much?

Old June 22nd 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Tom Kunich wrote:

Duhhh - Sorry about that Martin, my brain apparently turned off - you
say that the R600 is available in 9-speeds? Ahh, yes here it is - But
a set of the levers is selling for the same thing as Ultegra - $320.

Well at last. It comes down to money... How many brifters do you wear
out per year?

Tell me Lou - why would you think that a bicycle shift/brake lever
should cost a consumer over $200? Have you noticed that you can get a
desktop computer for that much?

tell the rest of us tom, where did you lose sight of the dollar's
free-fall and [imported] bike componentry not being cheap any more? a
CN7900 chain will cost you $70. that's only 4 1/2 chains per shifter so
proportionately, they're damned cheap.

which leads to another point - it would seem that you don't ride much if
you haven't discovered this for yourself. and if you don't ride much,
what's with all this constant bleating? shouldn't you be on
rec.sofas.ass-scratching?