H+Son rim failure, Mr. Brandt, your thoughts?

Old December 8th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chocobot

Default H+Son rim failure, Mr. Brandt, your thoughts?

http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. Does this seem right?

- chris
Old December 8th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chris Allick wrote:

http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. Does this seem right?

It's not right but the story may be correct. From the pictures it
seems the rim split down the center of its bed between sidewalls, but
I can't be sure because the lighting is poor and the rim black.

That's another point. I haven't seen such a split since black hard
anodized rims first appeared on the market in the 1970's. What brand
rim is it and is there a better picture of the wheel with no tire
remains obscuring the rim? I can see that it must have been loud
because the split in the inner tube is the reult of an instant
"air-out" like ones that I have heard.

So when was this wheel bought (built) and how about a closeup of the
fractured surface.

Jobst Brandt
Old December 8th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:38:21 -0800 (PST), Chocobot
wrote:

http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. Does this seem right?

- chris

Dear Chris,

What was the tire width and inflation?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 8th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 7, 4:38 pm, Chocobot wrote:
http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. Does this seem right?

Totally WAG: Fixed gear? Doing a skid? Forces of braking from hub
added spoke tension and longitudinal force at rim? Possibly existing
crack at spoke nipple bed split open. Then inner tube blew up forcing
crack further apart?
Old December 8th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
Chris Allick wrote:

http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. Does this seem right?

It's not right but the story may be correct. From the pictures it
seems the rim split down the center of its bed between sidewalls, but
I can't be sure because the lighting is poor and the rim black.

That's another point. I haven't seen such a split since black hard
anodized rims first appeared on the market in the 1970's. What brand
rim is it and is there a better picture of the wheel with no tire
remains obscuring the rim? I can see that it must have been loud
because the split in the inner tube is the reult of an instant
"air-out" like ones that I have heard.

So when was this wheel bought (built) and how about a closeup of the
fractured surface.

Jobst Brandt

New product; H+Son just started shipping these new rims
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old December 8th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Dan O wrote:
On Dec 7, 4:38 pm, Chocobot wrote:
http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. Does this seem right?

Totally WAG: Fixed gear? Doing a skid? Forces of braking from hub
added spoke tension and longitudinal force at rim? Possibly existing
crack at spoke nipple bed split open. Then inner tube blew up forcing
crack further apart?

Not quite. The tube burst because the rim failed.
Old December 8th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

wrote:

http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. Does this seem right?

- chris

Dear Chris,

What was the tire width and inflation?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

You're on the right path, but it probably still needed a bit of help to
split like that, probably caused by an issue with the die such that the
rim was scored (a groove cut into it lengthwise) as it was extruded.
I've see it before.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old December 8th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:

http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. *Does this seem right?

- chris

Dear Chris,

What was the tire width and inflation?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

You're on the right path, but it probably still needed a bit of help to
split like that, probably caused by an issue with the die such that the
rim was scored (a groove cut into it lengthwise) as it was extruded.
I've see it before.

When I was in the mechanic business, there was a run of hard anodized
26" Ritchey Vantage Comps that had just such a problem-- a groove
running down the inside rim wall, so distinct and centered that it
looked intentional. I saw a couple of those things crack and split
along the groove, though nothing that spread wide open like the H+Son
rim.

Chalo
Old December 8th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 20:26:36 -0800, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. Does this seem right?

- chris

Dear Chris,

What was the tire width and inflation?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

You're on the right path, but it probably still needed a bit of help to
split like that, probably caused by an issue with the die such that the
rim was scored (a groove cut into it lengthwise) as it was extruded.
I've see it before.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Dear Mike,

If it turns out to be just an ordinary narrow tire and ordinary
pressure, then a bad rim is the most likely explanation.

But running an over-width tire at excessive pressure is likely to
split a good rim the same way:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ce37398fc401ff

The rider doesn't look like the 265-lb Clydesdale in that old thread,
but skidding sideways might make up for the lighter weight.

If it turns out to be a 38 mm tire at 80 psi, ouch!

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old December 8th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Lee[_2_]

Chocobot wrote:

http://ganrin.blogspot.com/2008/11/i...-mine-but.html

That is the story. Does this seem right?

I clicked on the second photo and found a link to a larger size:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ganring...14948/sizes/l/

The inner rim wall is very thin looking. Just eyeball estimating, it looks less than 1/2 or even 1/3 mm to me.

Brandt Andre Racing 0 August 31st 06 03:29 AM
Christophe Brandt Crash Geraard Spergen Racing 0 August 29th 06 11:05 PM
The Bicycle Wheel - J Brandt Julian UK 11 September 24th 05 04:08 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading my HRM...anyone got any thoughts on my thoughts? Paulus Australia 10 August 12th 03 11:30 AM