Octalink ES25 replacement?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 19th 17, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On 2017-08-18 18:05, jbeattie wrote:

You have a mid-fi Fuji with parts that are at least a decade old (if
it has Octalink).

I have a low-fi Mitsubishi offroad vehicle. Yet that doesn't have any
problems whatsoever.

I _strongly_ suspect you exaggerate the reliability and longevity of
your motor vehicles even more than you exaggerate the faults of your
bicycles. I keep maintenance records on my cars, and I know what repairs
are necessary to keep a car running for my normal ten year replacement
cycle, let alone the 18 years I kept one car. Your claims about never
burning out even a dome light are totally unrealistic.

It's fact. Also, that vehicle is now at close to 78000 miles. Try that
with a bicycle.

... You purport to thrash that bike. Expect to replace
parts. Bike parts do not last as long as car parts.

Can anyone explain why not? And no, weight is IMO not the typical
reason. Cost isn't either.

I believe it's been explained many times.

It hasn't been.

... Cars parts do
not last as long as brass toilet parts. Brass toilet parts do not
last as long as Egyptian pyramids. Egyptian pyramids do not last as
long as the sun. The material world has a shelf-life. Embrace it.

Beats me why cyclists always accept premature failure of components as
"normal". A regular vehicle isn't supposed to need TLC and repairs
every 1k miles. So does that mean bicycles are inferior vehicles?

Personally, I don't accept "premature" failure of bike components as
normal. I accept _normal_ failure of components as normal.

So 5k miles for BBs is what you'd consider "normal"?

... I don't
expect bike tires to last 30,000 miles, bottom brackets to last 30 years
(even though one of mine did), mountain bikes to see no damage after
epic gonzo rides blasting over super-gnarly terrain while evading
mountain lions.

No gonzo rides. Normal trail riding on the MTB, normal longhaul rides on
the road bike.

I'm a mechanical engineer. I understand tradeoffs regarding weight,
cost and longevity. I also understand the influence of production volume
on cost and availability. I know why parts for a Chevy sold by the
millions are cheaper than nearly identical parts for a Maserati sold by
the thousands.

Then you should do what GM engineers should have done decades ago: Visit
Mitsubishi, Toyota or a similar company and shadow the engineers there.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Octalink BB VeloJon Techniques 17 May 30th 07 01:46 PM
Which Octalink BB with FSA crankset? [email protected] Techniques 0 August 26th 06 03:10 AM
FS: Ultegra Octalink b/b Adrian Marketplace 2 May 8th 05 05:35 PM
WTB: alternative Octalink BB [email protected] Marketplace 3 December 23rd 04 12:12 PM
WTB: 172.5 Octalink Cranks John Verheul Marketplace 1 May 21st 04 02:47 PM