Helmets - mean time betweef failures

Old January 16th 06, 07:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Helmets - mean time betweef failures

On 2006-01-16, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
So you're going out this avo to buy a helmet to wear in your car? :-)
Did you hear the comment from one of the survivors of the Egyptian bus
crash? "Yes I knew the bus was fitted with seat-belts but no-one else was
wearing them and I didn't want to look like a woose".

I can't quite remember -- was he the cop? If so, what a wonderful
message.

What a great service he did for everyone. "I am a hard man, and I
survived the crash despite not wearing my seatbelt. You too don't
need to wear a seatbelt, unless you are a pansie."

--
TimC
Tim flies like an arrow -- Donald Weldh on RHOD
Old January 16th 06, 08:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-16, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
I just don't believe they do much. I do always wear one however and see that
it is fitted properly and comfortably. My $3.50 a year investment keeps the
sun off my (spreading) bald patch and saves me $50 every time I pass a
policeman. I reckon in twenty years it has saved me $thousands, and some
serious sunburn.

You really should get a new helmet though. The vent pattern of
sunburn on a balding head is a serious fashion statement.

--
TimC
I found love in rhod and you can too...well, not all of
Old January 16th 06, 08:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Euan wrote:
It's not about the money, my helmets considerably more expensive than
$30

No its not, its about (if you believe helmets work), finding a
reasonable length of time between having bought a helmet and
purchasing a helmet, so as to have the most effective shock absorber (
again- if you believe in the process working)

If you are going to wear a helmet, why not get it to do the best job it
can?

Old January 16th 06, 08:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:44:55 +0800, Theo Bekkers wrote:

Peter Keller wrote:

I must own up to being a fscking quack.

You *******! :-)

I have also bicycled
reasonably continuously for 50 years, most of that time without a
helmet.

Ditto.

Unfortunately, as a result of this, this fscking quack became
vehemently anti-compulsion within two months.

Congratulations Peter. But, but, don't you feel that you are irresponsible
and callous towards your family if you don't buy a new $100 helmet every two
or three years? :-)

Not at all! :=)) I am under no illusions as to the protective value of
helmets. I only wear one because i can do without the hassle from the
cops. And I also ride my bike a lot less than I should because I find the
fscking things so damn' uncomfortable! Oh how we do many irrational
things because other people seek to appeal to our consciousness "humanity"
or "Responsibility to society" or make something out to be much more
dangerous than it really is. They must enjoy having power over us to be
able to modify our behaviour like that.

You're not the doctor Keller that was with the Red Cross in Perth until
recently, are you?

No I am not, sorry. I am an anaesthetist in Wellington.

Cheers
Theo

Cheers Peter

--
No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --

Old January 16th 06, 08:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter Keller wrote:

I must own up to being a fscking quack. I have also bicycled reasonably
continuously for 50 years,

So bicycle seats obviously haven't made you impotent either {:-)

After all, fscking quacks have to believe their own propaganda, don't they?

Personally I don't know how quacks survive the "propaganda" load they
have to carry. Once had an IT contract that was really about maximising
the "product" sent to quacks by drug companies.

Unfortunately, as a result of this, this fscking quack became vehemently
anti-compulsion within two months.

Congrats. nice to hear it.

Personally I prefer a nice floppy hat for shade to a hot helmet.
Old January 16th 06, 09:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Rayc wrote:

No its not, its about (if you believe helmets work), finding a
reasonable length of time between having bought a helmet and
purchasing a helmet, so as to have the most effective shock absorber (
again- if you believe in the process working)

There are better shock absorbers than polystyrene, but that leaves out
entirely the issue as to whether bicycle helmets do a a good job anyway.

If you are going to wear a helmet, why not get it to do the best job it
can?

You can not be seriously asking this question at this day and time. I
still wear my old Bell helmet because;

1) the current ones on offer to bicyclists are ****.
2) my MSR is too friggin hot (great on cold winter nights though).
3) no one produces a good helmet without poly,
4) I don't want brand names littering my helmet,
5) I don't want a helmet that looks like it was extruded through an anus.

Old January 16th 06, 09:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-16, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)
Peter Keller wrote:
I must own up to being a fscking quack. I have also bicycled reasonably
continuously for 50 years,

So bicycle seats obviously haven't made you impotent either {:-)

After all, fscking quacks have to believe their own propaganda, don't they?

Personally I don't know how quacks survive the "propaganda" load they
have to carry. Once had an IT contract that was really about maximising
the "product" sent to quacks by drug companies.

Most of the GPs I have met didn't seem to have survived.

I finally decided to experiment with non-bulk billing doctors to see
if they were any better. This guy had a bit of a conflict of
interest. His surgery dispensed awfully expensive vitamins and
minerals and other quack herbal remedies, and I noticed that he was
prescibing them to *all* of his patients. Whatever he could sting
them for. I cancelled my next appointment with him last week. And
blaming everything else on things missing in my diet[1][2].

Still looking for a good doctor nearish to me -- Stuart pointed me to
one that is a bit out of the way that I'm yet to get around to
checking out.

[1] My diet is perfectly fine (blood tests and all other tests have
never come up with anything other than me being perfectly in the
middle of the range). Although I do have to eat a lot to keep from
"starving", and am still a skinny bugger who never has any energy. I
just had to come to the realisation that some people are lucky enough
to be inherently healthy despite a crap diet, and other people can be
inherently unhealthy despite them trying to do all the right things.
Dammit.
[2] No, his 5 different suplements he had me taking that he thought I
could potentially be lacking had absolutely no effect on me. And no,
most people in Australia already get enough protein in their diet.
The way of fixing fatigue is not to remove(!) carbohydrates from the
diet and replace them with excess protein the body can't use.

--
TimC
"You can't trust any bugger further than you can
Old January 16th 06, 09:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:57:03 +1100, Terry Collins wrote:

Peter Keller wrote:

Personally I don't know how quacks survive the "propaganda" load they
have to carry. Once had an IT contract that was really about maximising
the "product" sent to quacks by drug companies.

Unfortunately, as a result of this, this fscking quack became vehemently
anti-compulsion within two months.

Congrats. nice to hear it.

Thank you

Personally I prefer a nice floppy hat for shade to a hot helmet.

Me too. And they can also be made brightly colored for visiblity, and
give nearly as much protection against scrapes and bruises as a helmet!

Peter

--
No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --

Old January 16th 06, 09:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-16, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)

[...]

Now there is a Fscking Quack!
I agree that an active person does not have to watch much what s/he eats,
as long as s/he gets enough and a reasonable variety. Also that
supplements are by and large un-necessary, except perhaps for extreme
things like bodybuilding.
Oh what some FQ's (and others) will do for money!

Peter
--
No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --

Old January 16th 06, 11:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-16, Terry Collins (aka Bruce)

Peter Keller wrote:

[...]

You could try Kris Merideth-Cooke. around the corner from my place Tim.
Although we had a bit of a tiff and are no longer talking I think she
is a fine sports doctor and a pretty decent cyclist

Dave