Seatpacks and saddlebags...

Old March 2nd 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Seatpacks and saddlebags...

As I'm intending some longer rides this year nad next, I need more stowage
capacity on the bike. One of the bikes I'll be using has no fixings for a
rack, and I'd like the option to swap between bikes. So I think a saddlebag
is the way to go. I've narrowed it down to three options (for the two
smaller packs, I'll need to attach stuff to the outside -- rain jacket):

Carradice Super-C Saddlepack
http://www.carradice.co.uk/day-use-b...ddlepack.shtml
Looks good (no bike-side fittings) -- but how much capacity does it have?
1-2 litres? Can I attach stuff to the outside of it easily?

Nelson longflap saddlebag
http://www.carradice.co.uk/day-use-b...addlebag.shtml

Ortlieb Saddlebag (L)
http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang...dukt=saddlebag

Old March 2nd 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MartinM wrote:
I've ordered a Carradice SQR Tour for my birthday next week; a lot
more than those but it has a proper seatpin clamp; Charlotte had one
on the Dun Run; it seemed to do everything, quickly detachable, big
enough to carry a complete change of kit (very important on an
overnight ride as I found out to my cost on least year's 400) and as
sturdy as a rack mounted one without the rack. Also not immediately
recogniseable as a saddlebag so I don't need sandals/beard ;-)

I tried my brother's Carradice SQR -- it's a bit too big for what I want.

Old March 2nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MSeries wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:
As I'm intending some longer rides this year nad next, I need more
stowage capacity on the bike. One of the bikes I'll be using has no
fixings for a rack, and I'd like the option to swap between bikes.
So I think a saddlebag is the way to go. I've narrowed it down to
three options (for the two smaller packs, I'll need to attach stuff
to the outside -- rain jacket):

Carradice Super-C Saddlepack
http://www.carradice.co.uk/day-use-b...ddlepack.shtml
Looks good (no bike-side fittings) -- but how much capacity does it
have? 1-2 litres? Can I attach stuff to the outside of it easily?

Nelson longflap saddlebag

http://www.carradice.co.uk/day-use-b...addlebag.shtml

Ortlieb Saddlebag (L)
http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang...dukt=saddlebag

I have a Super C Saddle pack. It excellent for day rides where you
want to carry a jacket, spare gloves a few other bits and bobs. It
has been used for a overnight YH trp where few if any civvies have
been required. It is possible to fasten stuff to the outside with the
aid of straps such as toe clips. Let me know what you think you might
need to put in one and I'll try it in mine for you.

I'm intending to use the bag part for gloves, arm and leg warmers, tools,
tubes and food for at least a 400k. What it really needs to do well is allow
easy(ish) attachment of other stuff like a jacket, lightweight sleeping bag
on the outside.

Old March 2nd 06, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Bennett wrote:
MSeries wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:
[...]

It will certainly permit gloves, arm & leg warmers, tools, tubes and
food for at least 400K. I presume you are not anticipating carrying a
track pump, roast chicken and a dozen tubes !!!. My jacket and the
above will fit inside usually. Not sure a sleepingbag will be
accommodated on the out side, depends how big it is I suppose. Jacket
no problem. The pack has straps which are attached toward the front on
the top of the pack, they loop over the saddle rails, then back through
a loop on the top of the pack. They then run to the back where they are
secured using the buckle affair that can be seen in the pictures. These
straps are the place to attach other things to and the pack tself gives
some support

Old March 2nd 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Bennett wrote:

I tried my brother's Carradice SQR -- it's a bit too big for what I want.

They do more than one model... the "Slim" may be better if you've tried
the "Tour", for example.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/sqr-saddlepacks/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 2nd 06, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Bennett wrote:
MartinM wrote:
I've ordered a Carradice SQR Tour for my birthday next week; a lot
more than those but it has a proper seatpin clamp; Charlotte had one
on the Dun Run; it seemed to do everything, quickly detachable, big
enough to carry a complete change of kit (very important on an
overnight ride as I found out to my cost on least year's 400) and as
sturdy as a rack mounted one without the rack. Also not immediately
recogniseable as a saddlebag so I don't need sandals/beard ;-)

I tried my brother's Carradice SQR -- it's a bit too big for what I want.

It's probably a bit big for most 4/600's as well but I thought I might
need it for a longer ride! The Super C is basically a non SQR version
of it AFAICT, my last one has broke from all the swinging around due to
only being secured by straps. Even with all my stuff in the present one
my jacket/jersey still weighs a ton on most rides, I imagine the least
weight on the rider the better, that's certainly what AUK say.

Old March 2nd 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter Clinch wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:

I tried my brother's Carradice SQR -- it's a bit too big for what I want.

They do more than one model... the "Slim" may be better if you've tried
the "Tour", for example.

the slim seems to be the same size, just flatter; in Simon's case it
would work well as a spoiler though ;-)

Old March 2nd 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

the slim seems to be the same size, just flatter; in Simon's case it
would work well as a spoiler though ;-)

And wider, which it would be, being called 'Slim'.

Er..
Old March 2nd 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MartinM wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:

I tried my brother's Carradice SQR -- it's a bit too big for what I want.

It's probably a bit big for most 4/600's as well but I thought I might
need it for a longer ride! The Super C is basically a non SQR version
of it AFAICT, my last one has broke from all the swinging around due to
only being secured by straps. Even with all my stuff in the present one
my jacket/jersey still weighs a ton on most rides, I imagine the least
weight on the rider the better, that's certainly what AUK say.

It's interesting to read this thread. I came into cycling as a tourist,
with hillwalking as my other outdoor hobby. As a consequence I tend to
want "kitchen-sink" levels of self sufficiency, carrying food and spare
clothing even for day rides unless I am *really* sure of the weather.

I usually use a Carradice Super C saddlebag (rather than the smaller
saddlepack) and only contemplate something smaller (barbag or
under-saddle pouch) for short rides in good conditions. It amazes me
just what racing cyclists will cram into jersey pockets.

I guess this is one of the reasons why I'm trundling round at the back
of the field in Audaxes. Lack of speed and fitness go a long way to
explaining the rest.
Old March 2nd 06, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

MSeries wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:
MSeries wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:
[...]

Okay, I've just read that the Super C is 8 litres -- that's easily enough
for my needs -- I can probably get the sleeping bag inside!