Carradice carriers

Old July 22nd 06, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ted

Default Carradice carriers

Has anyone tried the Carradice Bagman qr carrier...and if so any
comments..I have looked around local bikeshops but it is not stocked
although most will get it but I do not want to place an order until I
know how durable the system is...The method of fixing to the saddle is
not shown on the carradice site photo

http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and...standard.shtml

--
Regards
Ted Wager
Old July 22nd 06, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Ted wrote:
Has anyone tried the Carradice Bagman qr carrier...and if so any
comments..I have looked around local bikeshops but it is not stocked
although most will get it but I do not want to place an order until I
know how durable the system is...The method of fixing to the saddle is
not shown on the carradice site photo

http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and...standard.shtml

A friend has a QR example with a medium sized saddle bag. It works well for
him, his saddle bag is nice and stable on the bike. However, the Bagman did
shake loose on a very rough Audax ride; he suspects his mistake in failing
to tighten the fixing bolt firmly enough, and has now added a little
thread-lock as well as a bigger heave on the allen-key.
He got his direct from Carradice, who proved very helpful when he started
with the wrong model and got it swapped for the one he really needed.

Like most Carradice products, its heavily engineered rather than
light-weight, so should be durable. (the Bagman Sport weighs about the same
as a Tubus Fly rear rack, the Bagman Expidition is heavier).

It fits to the saddle rails behind the seat-post, so you need about 5/8th
inch of horizontal rail showing behind the seat-post clamp. If your saddle
is pushed forward on your seat-post then it won't fit. Some pictures of
fitting available at this US retailer's site:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/saddlebag_support.asp

The same site also has decent photos of many Carradice saddle bags, some
fitted to a Bagman support.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old July 22nd 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Smith

Ted wrote:
Has anyone tried the Carradice Bagman qr carrier...and if so any
comments..I have looked around local bikeshops but it is not stocked
although most will get it but I do not want to place an order until I
know how durable the system is...The method of fixing to the saddle is
not shown on the carradice site photo

http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and...standard.shtml

I've heard they can sag if you load the bag well, and foul the rear
wheel. I use the SQR mounts (SQR Tour) which seem very rigid.
Old July 22nd 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Hbunnet

I have recently bought one for my new bike and old saddlebag.

The fitting secures to the saddle rails with a clamp above and below and
is secured by one allen bolt. So you need a minimum distance of saddle
rail clear behind your seatpost. Mine is a conventional setup and I had
no problems.

The rack, now fitted, gives two rods for the saddle bag straps. These
are similar, but rounder than the B17 saddle bag fittings. The clever
thing is that these rods can be retracted against a wee string and the
bag lifted off. This is a breakthrough because it was previously a
serious faff to remove the bag.

I replaced my well worn straps with new ones and fitted them with the
buckle inside.

The carrier works very well and the QR is great, it has transformed how
I use my saddle bag.

--
Hbunnet : (replace "nospam" with "athome" to reply)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Old July 22nd 06, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sam Salt

Hbunnet wrote:
I have recently bought one for my new bike and old saddlebag.

The fitting secures to the saddle rails with a clamp above and below and
is secured by one allen bolt. So you need a minimum distance of saddle
rail clear behind your seatpost. Mine is a conventional setup and I had
no problems.

The rack, now fitted, gives two rods for the saddle bag straps. These
are similar, but rounder than the B17 saddle bag fittings. The clever
thing is that these rods can be retracted against a wee string and the
bag lifted off. This is a breakthrough because it was previously a
serious faff to remove the bag.

I replaced my well worn straps with new ones and fitted them with the
buckle inside.

The carrier works very well and the QR is great, it has transformed how
I use my saddle bag.

I've used one for a good while and find it very good.

As has been said previously I should go for the QR version as the bag is
on or off in seconds.

Only two *problems* ( if you can call them that ).

One is that the saddlebag *sags* down over the ends of the support ( if
you see what I mean) .I have a Carradice Super C and the end pockets are
always full of tools/puncture outfit etc so perhaps that doesn't help.

The second is that if you are not using the saddlebag for whatever
reason the Bagman sticks out over the rack making it difficult to carry
something on the rack.

Despite the above I wouldn't be without it.

Sam Salt

Old July 22nd 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Terry

In article ,
(Ted) wrote:

Has anyone tried the Carradice Bagman qr carrier...and if so any
comments..I have looked around local bikeshops but it is not stocked
although most will get it but I do not want to place an order until I
know how durable the system is...The method of fixing to the saddle
is not shown on the carradice site photo

http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and...qr-standard.sh
tml

I've been using one for the past six months, with a Carradice Scout bag.
It works very well as the others have said, with one exception - I've
carried close to the 10Kg maximum weight, including a laptop, in it and
never seen it sag. There's a slight spring to it and you'd want that to
absorb shocks anyway but loaded within the stated maximum it doesn't do
what the word 'sag' suggests.

There's a slight flaw with mine in that the allen screws fixing the
support frame to the saddle fitting have a tendency to work loose. When
the frame falls away there's a risk of it falling into the wheel,
although this hasn't happened to me as the couple of times it fell out
the lower bag strap held it in until I stopped.

Carradice told me that there had been a few similar reports with early
models and that the allen keys were now sealed with loctite. It looks
like I was lucky enough to buy old stock.

Despite this I'm very pleased with it and would buy another.

Old July 22nd 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ted

Ted wrote:
Has anyone tried the Carradice Bagman qr carrier...and if so any
comments..I have looked around local bikeshops but it is not stocked
although most will get it but I do not want to place an order until I
know how durable the system is...The method of fixing to the saddle is
not shown on the carradice site photo

http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and...standard.shtml

Thanks to all who replied...Looks like I will put an order in with my
local b/s

--
Regards
Ted Wager

tow bar bike carriers spook Australia 8 July 31st 05 08:45 AM
Carradice Bag Saddle Clips? Tom Nakashima Techniques 9 June 3rd 05 09:03 PM
Carradice Super C Saddlebag Sam Salt UK 17 April 15th 04 08:12 PM
Wanted: Carradice handlebar bag support Peter Crighton UK 2 September 26th 03 07:02 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM