Petition to let cyclists ride on footpaths in NSW

Old July 25th 08, 11:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Kim Ryan

Default Petition to let cyclists ride on footpaths in NSW

Hi,

I put this petition together as I think it is important to extend the
rights of cyclists. We should be able to legally ride in all the areas
that are both safe and practical for completing our journeys.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...hs-in-nsw.html
Old July 25th 08, 12:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes[_3_]

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 10:53:57 GMT
Kim Ryan wrote:

Hi,

I put this petition together as I think it is important to extend the
rights of cyclists. We should be able to legally ride in all the
areas that are both safe and practical for completing our journeys.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...hs-in-nsw.html

I won't be signing this as it is much more dangerous for a cyclist to
ride on the footpath then the road, and legalising doing so for those
not supervising a child will further disenfranchise cyclist as
legitimate traffic with equal right to road space as other road users.

Cheers

Joel
--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
| Affordable second hand bikes
(03) 9029 6504 | Commuting and touring parts and accessories
www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and
instruction

Old July 25th 08, 01:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Joel Mayes" wrote in message
. ..
I won't be signing this as it is much more dangerous for a cyclist to
ride on the footpath then the road, and legalising doing so for those
not supervising a child will further disenfranchise cyclist as
legitimate traffic with equal right to road space as other road users.

How is it more dangerous for bike riders?

Old July 25th 08, 03:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Claude

"Kim Ryan" wrote in message
Hi,

I put this petition together as I think it is important to extend the
rights of cyclists. We should be able to legally ride in all the areas
that are both safe and practical for completing our journeys.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...hs-in-nsw.html

I won't be signing this because adult cyclists can be a serious hazard on
footpaths for pedestrians, especially children.

Old July 25th 08, 03:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Mr Been

"Claude" wrote in message

"Kim Ryan" wrote in message
Hi,

I put this petition together as I think it is important to extend the
rights of cyclists. We should be able to legally ride in all the areas
that are both safe and practical for completing our journeys.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...hs-in-nsw.html

I won't be signing this because adult cyclists can be a serious hazard on
footpaths for pedestrians, especially children.

I think the majority of cyclists respect the safety of pedestrians but there
are some who don't. Recently, I observed a steroid crazed cyclist on a road
bike screaming abuse at elderly pedestrians and slower riders on a family
bike track in Homebush park because they were slowing him down due to their
presence on the track. If we see these kinds of ******s on our footpaths,
god help our children! No signing of the petition is warranted, sorry....

Old July 25th 08, 11:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gettamulla Tupya

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:12:05 GMT, "Alan Erskine" wrote:

I won't be signing this as it is much more dangerous for a cyclist to
ride on the footpath then the road, and legalising doing so for those
not supervising a child will further disenfranchise cyclist as
legitimate traffic with equal right to road space as other road users.

How is it more dangerous for bike riders?

Drunk pedestrians. ;-)

Old July 25th 08, 11:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:05:43 +1000
Gettamulla Tupya wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:12:05 GMT, "Alan Erskine" wrote:

I won't be signing this as it is much more dangerous for a cyclist to
ride on the footpath then the road, and legalising doing so for those
not supervising a child will further disenfranchise cyclist as
legitimate traffic with equal right to road space as other road users.

How is it more dangerous for bike riders?

Drunk pedestrians. ;-)

Never mind them... have you seen the armour plated prams they use
these days?

Zebee
Old July 26th 08, 12:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 12:12:05 +0000, Alan Erskine wrote:

How is it more dangerous for bike riders?

Motor vehicles entering and exiting driveways, plusfoot paths are very
rough rote in comparison to the average road surface.

Old July 26th 08, 07:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob.

Kim Ryan wrote:

Hi,

I put this petition together as I think it is important to extend the
rights of cyclists. We should be able to legally ride in all the areas
that are both safe and practical for completing our journeys.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...hs-in-nsw.html

Have you asked the position police take towards riding on footpaths.

When you do post the answer.

You may find its acceptable under certain circumstances when our roads
extent across 4 or 6 lanes, there is heavy traffic etc.

Petition NRMA to stop attacking cyclists Kim Ryan Australia 0 May 24th 08 04:50 AM
50% increase in cyclists prosecuted for cycling on footpaths 2002-2006 Martin Dann UK 37 May 20th 08 05:01 PM
Footpaths for me Mark Lee Australia 33 April 2nd 05 04:47 AM
Cycling on footpaths. Is now OK Lisci UK 15 July 25th 04 06:33 PM